its like driving a slug!... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Take a look at this technical data sheet (especially the second page!)

And this youtube video Drallklappen Z19DTH 1,9 CDTI - YouTube

Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 28 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Caerphilly

Member car:

alfa 159 ti

Thanks for the answer on that one gents cant these swirl flaps be cleaned DIY or is that beyond the home mechanic?... thanks
AO Member
I have done it myself, but mine only had 17 000km of town driving when I bought it, why the hell did they buy a 159 2.4SW Ti to do town driving? We'll never know.
So my manifold was dirty but most probably not is the state yours is.

Here is how I did it.
I dismantled the inlet pipe from the after cooler to the engine, the one connected just before the EGR and the shutdown butterfly.
Then took a large seringe with or without needle makes no great difference, then reved the engine to 2000-2500 and squirted injector cleaner by 1/2 sec squirt directly in the the inlet.
I believe Bardhal is doing such product in a spray can. I used Tecflow speed cleaner, which has always worked wonder on dirty injector nozzles. 250ml of it.
It seems to have cleaned up the entrance of the manifold so I belive it did the same inside, at least the pressure sensor which was dirty, is now clean.
I am looking for a good boroscope now to go and investiguate directly inside the manifold to see how it looks.

I know companies do it, with a special device etc... but basically comes back to what I have done.

But if it is as bad in the pictures below, I don't know if my system will work, I doubt it very much
DIY clogged intake manifold cleaning VW TDI of carbon build up, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003

Here is a link for you. | WYNN

Good luck

Last edited by fredvr; 18-02-12 at 02:19.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

driving , slug