Brera Parking Sensors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 12-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Brera Parking Sensors

Hi All,

Hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on this one...

My parking sensors have, over the past 3 months, become less and less sensitive (the beeping should start when the car is about 3 feet away from the obstacle. Over the last months, the sensors would only start to work when the obstacle was closer to the car). Now, they're not working at all, or work very sporadically, usually when the car is only a couple of inches away from the obstacle (or when it's too late).

Has anyone encountered this issue with their Brera or 159 and is there an easy fix?

Thks & regards,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: East Sussex
Hi David,

this is exactly how my daughter's brera has behaved , now down to virtually nothing - i know this is a while ago but wondered how you sorted it and if anyone else has been affected with this .

cheers Steve
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
I too suffered from this, one day they would work the next they would'nt.

Turned out to be a faulty sensor, tracked it down with FES. Bought and fitted a new sensor and its now all fixed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308449430...84.m1423.l2649

These seem to be the real thing and will need painting to match the car.

AO Member

Cheers for the swift reply - that's what I thought it would be , plugged into fes , locates valeo sensors etc , but no faults showing . DOH ! I think I may have to remove control box and check that and each senosr individually .

That's a decent price for the sensor you have found
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintetienne View Post
Cheers for the swift reply - that's what I thought it would be , plugged into fes , locates valeo sensors etc , but no faults showing . DOH ! I think I may have to remove control box and check that and each senosr individually .

Can't take the credit for the sensors, think it was CJ that posted them.

Just as a quick question. I have KKL and ELM leads and 3 plug in conversions ( red, yellow and green ) to enable me to connect to all the different ecu's. From memory I had to use the green conversion plug to diagnose the parking sensor.

Like these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ALFA-F...item3a7e33a08e

May help but don't know. It tracked mine down to the exact sensor.

They do play up if it has frozen over night for a bit.

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers
AO Member

I think you misunderstood me slightly - I can fully access the valeo ecu (elm327) and it gives me all info etc , but showing no faults . I am thinking the unit itself may be wack !

cheers
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
You can check each sensor is working by running your finger over them. If working you will feel the sensor "pulsing".
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
You can check each sensor is working by running your finger over them. If working you will feel the sensor "pulsing".
The only sensor that is doing jack today is the far o/side ,which beeps when you are pretty close . Others are dead and none pulse . Another thing I have just discovered is when you put car into reverse there is no confirmation beep which I thought there should be , can someone concur ?

thanks
AO Silver Member

Theres no beep on mine.

When mine was faulty I got the error message on the dash "parking assist not available". But mine is a 06 plate 159 so may differ.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
Very true. This did not show the faulty sensor on mine though. You've got to love Alfa engineering.

I was told by a Alfa tech that the cables are very thin and have a tendancy to turn to powder where they run through the rubber gromet in the boot. You can check this by either pulling the wires and looking to see if they stretch, or as I did use a multi meter and a pin to pierce through the outer insulation to check if you have a circut, before I plugged FES in and found the fault. I'm not really the best with electricts and computers, give me spanners any day. This however means you have to remove the bumper and lights.

Last edited by coxy1; 16-02-13 at 17:10.
AO Member

Thanks for all the input , tomorrow I will check resistance on each sensor and check module . Hopefully that will bring some info . There is no message on the dash - but then if the module does not think it's fauly why would the dash ?!?
AO Member

County: Shetland Islands

Member car:

ALFA BRERA

Quote:

Where is the control box /ecm for the parking sensors , have been told it's in the boot but cannot locate, hope it is not in the bumper!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davynic View Post
Where is the control box /ecm for the parking sensors , have been told it's in the boot but cannot locate, hope it is not in the bumper!
Wow this is an oldie , if my memory serves me correctly it is located behind the drivers side inner rear 1/4 trim . I removed this then fitted a set of non-Alfa parking sensors which actually worked better !
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA BRERA

Quote:
Wow this is an oldie , if my memory serves me correctly it is located behind the drivers side inner rear 1/4 trim . I removed this then fitted a set of non-Alfa parking sensors which actually worked better !
Do you mean inside the cab or inside the boot ? all trim removed from boot and it is not their , traced wires out from sensors to tic tak box then they disappear up the inner wheel arch , past the seat beat inertia and gone !
AO Member

Inside cab. You need to get behind driver's side inner rear 1/4 trim and the module is located there , I unplugged and installed a set of 15 flea bay sensors which worked perfectly .

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA BRERA

Quote:
Inside cab. You need to get behind driver's side inner rear 1/4 trim and the module is located there , I unplugged and installed a set of 15 flea bay sensors which worked perfectly .

don't see it there, had panel off but nothing behind it , I do see a yellow plug at the bottom of the door pillar but would have to remove complete trim/panel to access and not sure what the plug is , airbag/seatbelt warning ?
AO Member

Definitely was there in mine , are you getting an error beep ?

AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Couldn't find the parking sensor ECU in my Brera either and I had all the panels off as far as the door.

In the end I just put four new sensors on, 15 each on ebay, and all is now well.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50MEO View Post
Couldn't find the parking sensor ECU in my Brera either and I had all the panels off as far as the door.

In the end I just put four new sensors on, 15 each on ebay, and all is now well.
This is what sent me down that route , must admit it was so long ago now can't remember if it was top or bottom of 1/4 but definitely in there somewhere , I seem to recall tracing the beep ? , the sensors were very pricey when I did this , if as quoted above they are more affordable now you may take the original route , having said that the aftermarket sensors worked better than the OE ones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-13_113339.jpg (110.1 KB, 47 views)

County: -
Hi R5OMEO

did you have to take the rear bumper off to fit the sensors...........same problem as the rest of the posts now, one day ok the next day nope, just the warning light and continuous beep for 10 seconds, washed the sensors and they worked again for a couple of days and now faulty again..........don't tell me to keep washing it !!!!!
AO Member

Yes I did , not horrendous though.

County: -
Brera Parking Sensors

.........here's one then..............I have to park the Brera outside in a field currently and on a couple of damp mornings the sensors work fine, any ideas before the control unit and bumper are attacked ??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , parking , sensors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page