Loss of acceleration and whining at low revs?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Loss of acceleration and whining at low revs??

Morning all,

I recently purchased a 57 plate Spider 2.4 jtdm 46,000. It drove great on picking it up, albeit not quite that 'petrol' drive that I am used to. I then fitted a race chip to the car and was very happy with the immediate difference I noticed! Much less of that diesel 'lag', increased acceleration, speed and mpg.

It's driven great for the last 3 weeks, until two days ago...

I was halfway through my journey home from work, pulled away from a roundabout in 2nd gear and nothing, no acceleration. I dropped down and nothing, back into 2 and it VERY slowly increased in speed, I eventually managed to get it up to 60mph, by which point it was a tad embarrassing as I was holding up all the traffic!! I changed through the gears a bit and fiddled about with my cruise control in case it was something to with that (which I wasn't using) and eventually it seemed to correct itself. This was two days ago and it doesn't seem to have to done it since.

Then came another problem this morning, on starting the car noticed a very loud, low whining noise which seems to be worse at low or no revs. I have read that it could be the power steering fluid? It was also very cold this morning, but has been for the last few weeks with no problems. Could it be the turbo?

The car just doesn't seem to be driving as well as it first did with the chip, I'm considering removing it and having it proffesionally done instead.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thank you in advance,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I would agree with removing the "chip". Some of the plug in boxes are pretty good to be fair, but they all operate on general principles, so are not specific enough for each car.

The lack of power pulling away certainly sounds like a clogged EGR valve to me. But they usually kick the power back in over higher revs. If yours wasn't doing this then maybe something else.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

Sounds like you have experienced LIMP mode which is connected with the DPF. Do a quick search on here and you'll find loads of topics about DPFS and regens

I had a tuning box on mine for a few months, gave it a bit of a kick, but still had issues

Re: Noise - sounds like the steering pump. Again lots of posts on the forum about this. There is a fix you can do yourself, changing the fluid and resevoir, which may solve your problem! If not, get it checked out. A failing pump could damage the rack, which would end up being a very painful job for your wallet!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

acceleration , loss , low , revs , whining