OK. Picked the car up yesterday, and here are my first impressions after 24 hrs :
1. Looks fantastic, inside and out. There is no better looking saloon car on sale in this country - end of.
2. Masses of kit, lot of car for the money (used !). Love the Rubino Red colour.
3. Very well put together, feels much more substantial than my old GT
4. Quiet vs the GT - engine and wind/tyre noise massively reduced. Loved the snorty sound of the GT, but could be tiresome on longer journeys.The 159 is massively more refined.
5. Feels heavy vs GT - will take a bit of getting used to, but nothing I can't live with
6. Comfortable but surprisingly planted. Suspension far less 'crashy' than the GT, but holds the road just as well
7. Feels a lot less agile around town driving - GT was more 'point and squirt', the 159 less so due to size
8. Acceleration from standing is at first disappointing vs GT (probably cos it's a lot heavier), but as you move through the gears, you realise the power and pull just keeps coming. Work the engine at higher revs for max smiles
9. I'm sticking my fingers in my ears, not listening to my learned friends on this forum and pretending that the fuel economy will be about the same as my old 2.0 JTS (c30 mpg). I'm not looking at the fuel economy on the info system, so as far as I know, it is !!!
10. Explaining to the missus why she doesn't have to worry about turning the head lights on (auto) or why accidently changing from 6th to 3rd at speed is not good has been interesting, but having memory seats and mirrors is fantastic as she is a short arse and the one button reset to my settings is ace !!
So in summary, it's a very different experience than the GT, but ya know what ? I think I'm going to like if just as much, if not for different reasons. This is a VERY nice car, and I'm VERY pleased. Not missing the GT quite as much as I thought I would.......