New 159 Owner question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
New 159 Owner question

Hello All,

I've just bought a 159 2.4 diesel.

I've read about the potential problem with the plastic coolant bleed valve blowing off and intend to replace it with a metal one.

Can someone tell me whereabouts in the engine it actually is ?

Many thanks !
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Some pictures of mine in my advert - just below the engine cover, just left of centre to the front of the engine, your plug will be black plastic, mine is a stainless steel allen....quite a bit bigger!

AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Got those led lights on each side of the front roof console but never seen them work no matter what I try????
AO Member
County: -
i was thinking about this, is it ideal not to change this plastic screw for a metal one? i was just thinking if the pressure in coolant built up for some reason then i would assume the 1st thing that would go for the safety of the engine would be this plastic screw? if you fit a metal one then chances are that something else may give way and could cost a lot. my dad's fiesta which i believe has a Mazada 1.2 unit has this pop valve in the cylinder head. the pressure built up for some reason and this pop valve started leaking steam and drops of hot coolant. by the time we turned back and parked on the driveway it popped and steam and a nice steady leak of coolant followed. the diagnoses was the water pump seals were gone and was leaking and letting air in.

maybe its a precautionary measure. open to other thoughts please if anyone think otherwise?

AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
^^ interesting thought, but when my one let go, it was at 70 mph+ on the motorway. I consider myself lucky not to have warped the head.

Surely if it was intended as a pressure relief valve it would BE a pressure relief valve.

The attached photo shows the top of my engine with the plastic cover moved to one side. The bleed valve is the upper of the holes, as described. The pink stuff is all of the escaped coolant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326145499.084339.jpg (53.9 KB, 26 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , owner , question