Review after 3 years driving my 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
Review after 3 years driving my 159

I've now had my 159 JTDm Sportwagon for 3 years and it's soon due to go back to the leasing company so I thought I'd post my thoughts on my 159.

The grip. Oh this car is so much fun around roundabouts, 3 years in I still get a kick out of the cornering ability. There just seems to be so much grip , and if you ever do go into a corner too fast the stability control kicks in and sorts everything out nicely.
The interior. The thing that really got me into the alfa was the interior, which in my view is so much nicer than any of the german rivals. It's a really nice place to be, the leather is nice, the dashboard is laid out really well, the stereo controls are neat and simple.
The looks. It's still one of the best looking cars on the road IMHO.

The lady that lives inside my Blue&Me system is stone-deaf and she drives me insane!! I shout "folders" and she asks me "Phone Warrick now?". I say "no", she says "Phoning Warrick now".
The noise. I think the noise levels in the cabin are quite high, and I'm sure that doesn't help the deaf Blue&Me lady. It's worse with some tyres. Pirelli and Bridgestones were okay. Continentals were worse for tyre noise (and grip)
The engine. The 1.9 150bhp feels a bit old. Having come from a BMW 3 series before which had a similar size diesel engine the BMW was much smoother and quieter. The Alfa engine is a classic diesel with lots of grunt, then nothing, change gear, and so on.
Reliability. I did have to have significant work done on the gearbox/diff, needed a new battery, and have just had issues with the brakes. However the gearbox and battery were done under 3rd year warranty

So where now? Well, I've truly loved driving the Alfa and would thoroughly recommend as a car which will put a smile on your face instead of just getting you from A to B. However as the Guilia is still somewhere off in the distance I'm moving away from Alfa for my next car. Range Rover Evoque here I come. It'll be a different kind of car but is another heart over head decision, just like the Alfa, and I haven't regretted it this time around.

Hope you all enjoy your 159's as much as I have.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Nice review! Good luck with the Evoque
AO Gold Member
County: -
good review, I think the Evoque has some of that class like the 159 has, would be intrested to hear what you think about it
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Pattern forming here - people with taste drive 159 and the Evoque is one of the only cars we'd consider changing to

Let us know how you get on
Nice review! The 2.0JTDm is much much smoother I have to say although still not a patch on my parents totally petrol sounding Golf GT Tdi.

Good luck with the Range Rover - its not the only 4x4 I'd buy, but also the only I car I'd buy full stop at present! I think its gorgeous. Shame it's so god damn expensive.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa romeo 159

great review! am about to get my 2011 159 soon. Oh I've been inside the evoque earlier and I thought the design (interior and exterior) was excellent! Didn't get the chance to test drive it but am sure it'll give you a pleasure driving experience plus with extra space for rear passengers and boot. All the best with your evoque!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , driving , review , years