2015 Stock Available
---- Project Update - August 2014 -----
Quick refresher for those just joining the thread....
Project Halo started as a concept to integrate BMW Angel eye style DRLs into the 159/Brera/Spider triple headlight configuration. Initial development work was completed by myself & YonasH. YonasH pioneered the first sets of Halo's in a kit form that could be bought and installed as a DIY solution, however both of our efforts to disassemble the headlights resulted in failure or breakage and the only viable solution was to cut the lenses off, install the rings and glue the lenses back on.
As this was not a viable option, development ceased for around a year before starting up again after discussions with Coxy1 on headlight disassembly. Coxy1 was able to pioneer an approach the taking the headlights apart, but only if they were new ones where the glue had not yet had time to cure fully (several years of use on a car cures them fully!!)
Once this had been solved, I restarted development on the electronic controllers for the headlights to meet UK specifications and simplify the amount of electronics & wiring needed in comparison to the approach YonasH took.
Project Halo UK headlights are now a full DIY project for anyone who wants to get involved. All parts are available online from the usual suppliers, and a full parts list is available on the wiki: http://projects.jabawoki.com
Their is a pre-order system in place for the controllers, and they are manufactured in batches of 10 sets, so once we get to 10 people who want controllers I organise a manufacturing run to have them made to order.
This is what the headlights look like on the car:
20131127_112436_Richtone(HDR) (2).jpg 20131127_112454_Richtone(HDR).jpg
And this is a description of there operation:
On start-up, they run Mode 1 once, then default to Mode 2 below:
Mode 1: Fade from 0% to 100% to 80% in sequence from Led 1 (inside) to Led 3 (outside)
Mode 2: Daytime operation – all Leds at 80%
Mode 3: Night operation – all Leds at 70%
Mode 4: Indicator Mode – Outer Led & inner Led rings at 70% - middle ring off
Mode 5: Main Beam - All rings at full power
Modes 3,4 & 5 are selected by +12v signal on each of the 3 inputs to the controllers. There is a 400ms delay after the indicator stops before the rings return to Mode 2,3 or 5. This is to allow the controllers to detect that the indicator has stopped flashing. I nay yet get that down to 250-300ms but any less and it doesn't work properly.
1) Will the headlights come with a warranty?
- All components each come with their own supplier / manufacturer warranty. This is not a commercial venture, its a community project!
2) Will this be available in other countries
- The Halo conversion can be completed on any car in any country, So far we have Halo's in Norway, Sweden, Russia, Australia, Austria & the UK
3) Will this be available as a DIY kit to install in my existing headlights?
- Yes, instructions are available on http://projects.jabawoki.com
4) Will the units work with my factory fit Xenons?
- Yes they will
5) Will these units work with after market HID kits, LEDs and other lighting mods?
- Yes they will.
6) Will these units work with my automatic headlight feature?
- Yes, the switching between modes of operating is automatically controlled by the electronics inside the new headlights so it doesn't matter how they switch on and off.
7) How long will they last?
- The LED rings are quoted as having 20000 hours lifespan, but I can't vouch for that!! What I can say is we have done everything electrically viable to guarantee the LED's the most optimum / safe / stable conditions fully isolated and protected from the car's electronics system so they will last as long as they possibly could.
8) will they work with other vehicles?
- Technically the controller units can run up to 4 rings each, so they could easily be adapted to be used in 147, 156, & GT's. We would just need to modify the code, and measure the headlights to get the right rings. If there is enough interest I will pursue this but will need the help of some owners!
9) So how much?
- Price is TBC but around £450 covers your costs including 2 new headlights!
10) When can I buy them
- All parts are available now so get involved!
---- Project Update - August 2014 -----
This thread has been created to monitor progress and share ideas around the modification of the 159/Brera & Spider Triple headlight unit to include a Halo DRL unit. We have setup a new thread for this rather than hijack the DRL thread
that started this.
The inspiration and potentially the end look of the unit can be seen here
Current contributors to the R&D work are:
, from Poland who is way ahead on the project with a full unit ready to disassemble and a source for both CCFL & SMD LED Halo Loops.
, starting at the beginning and right now trying to source a headlight unit from a breakers yard!
Anyone can participate and the more people we have doing the R&D the better it will be!