"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project - Page 57 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 183Likes

AO Member

County: -
All finished, looks awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160814_130717.jpg (113.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20160814_130725.jpg (126.2 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

More pics! Looks great.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Garage
Oh right, so you have no relay at all? What did you do with the wires going to the various relay terminals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty66 View Post
I couldnt fathem how to get the relay to work so I just left it out, Its not essential.
AO Member

only 4 wires needed going into the PSU. +ve 12v in and earth. The remaining two go to the + and - ends of both halo sets.

Does that make sense?
emerycloth likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
only 4 wires needed going into the PSU. +ve 12v in and earth. The remaining two go to the + and - ends of both halo sets.

Does that make sense?
Yes, think so, thanks. So do your halos come on when you put the key in? Or when the engine has started? I think the point of the relay was to keep them on whilst the engine started if I remember correctly but I am not that worried if I lose that functionality.

Is the any other advantage to a relay?

Thanks for your advice mate, been very helpful.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerycloth View Post
Yes, think so, thanks. So do your halos come on when you put the key in? Or when the engine has started? I think the point of the relay was to keep them on whilst the engine started if I remember correctly but I am not that worried if I lose that functionality.

I thought the function of the relay was to have a 10 sec delay on the light turning on (i could be wrong). You're right halos turn on when key is inserted, then go of as the engine turns over, then they come back on.
emerycloth likes this.
AO Member

Best photo I could manage at night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1471424469286.jpg (29.1 KB, 16 views)
emerycloth and AlfaJoe92 like this.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerycloth View Post

The relay function is to delay the turning off of the halo lights. It's a bit of a 'follow me home and by the way please look back because I look awesome' feature.
If it's helpful when I get back some time one weekend I can run through my relay set up for you.
emerycloth likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_of_beard View Post
The relay function is to delay the turning off of the halo lights. It's a bit of a 'follow me home and by the way please look back because I look awesome' feature.
If it's helpful when I get back some time one weekend I can run through my relay set up for you.
That would be great, thanks! Had a quick test on one of the light units today and they do look awesome! I do like the idea if having the relay in there but just can't work it out!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_of_beard View Post
I got it totally wrong! May have to have another play with it when I get home.
AO Member

Garage
Ok, so making progress. Lights back together and tested halos and all good. But now the glue has gone off again, I've noticed the reflectors don't look like they are quite lined up with the lens. Different on both units. Time will tell if this affects the beam patterns when fitted - anyone else noticed anything similar?

Hopefully getting them fitted in a couple of weeks once I've got my controllers safely watertight!
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 LE

Hi guys
I have two 2nd gen HALO controllers for sale. I have wired them up with weatherproof seals on the end and conduit. I have never used them and I probably won't.
I also have all the power supply cables and the expensive relay which has all been wired up but never used or turned on.
Last but not least I have the halo rings and one headlight that has been split and some of the wiring started but never complete.
Im willing to let the whole lot go for around 175 if anyone is interested.
I can take some photos later on if anyone is interested
JabawokJayUK likes this.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakfive View Post
Hi guys
I have two 2nd gen HALO controllers for sale. I have wired them up with weatherproof seals on the end and conduit. I have never used them and I probably won't.
I also have all the power supply cables and the expensive relay which has all been wired up but never used or turned on.
Last but not least I have the halo rings and one headlight that has been split and some of the wiring started but never complete.
Im willing to let the whole lot go for around 175 if anyone is interested.
I can take some photos later on if anyone is interested
I'm interested! PM me details when you have chance
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druboo View Post
As the car has just flown through its MOT, I think it deserves some Halo attention.
Have the 'go ahead' from Mrs Druboo, so please count me in for the next batch of controller's

Andy
And 8 months later we finally have some Halo's in deepest Gloucestershire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-08-27 16.50.44.jpg (131.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-27 16.50.05.jpg (179.5 KB, 15 views)
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Talking

Quote:
I couldnt fathem how to get the relay to work so I just left it out, Its not essential.
I don't remember having too much difficulty using the alternative relay ... what i would say is that the diagram on the wikki page is incorrect for the relay ... it shows 15 as being the ground connection whereas it should be 31. Just disregard 87a as we are using a Normally open contact, so 87 only

I have mine set to 30 seconds for that follow me home experience
emerycloth and Lord_of_beard like this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I can now officially declare I have joined the Halo club, but not without the help of Lee from Ebay who did all the hard work of fitting the rings to the housings and sorting out the 'sciency' bits. Also fitted them for me and seated my LED main beams and neatly fitted all my lights ballasts through the light caps properly

Would defo recommend him if you find any sets buyable on ebay, he uses all the right kit as per Jaba's guides so props to both.

Would take a pic but they are a pain to take pictures of at night, just come out as one massive light source

But they do look god damn gorgeous

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento with Full Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Engine Mods: DPF/EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge & Decals
Future Mods/ Fixes: Powerflex Bushes, Ti Skirts
(Post Link) post #1417 of 1445 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post
Would take a pic but they are a pain to take pictures of at night, just come out as one massive light source

Thats because although Lee sells the kits based on my research, he does not fit any controllers and as such they are on full brightness all the time and switched with a relay to handle the disablement of the centre ring for the indicators. The "Project Halo" controllers reduce the nighttime brightness, provide the effects and other light intensity tweaks that make them more like OEM, which is what the project was originally about.

If you ever want controllers adding, feel free to reach out as we have stock. We also have a builder in the team now that can build full sets for those that want them but dont want the hassle of building them.
alfahemi, Lord_of_beard and Marewx like this.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Ok Jay, probs will look into the controllers as I know they properly configure the lights to be as intended, I think I'm just glad the main work has been done and so once I've tackled some other mechanical niggles with the car and have some spare spare funds, I'll definitely contact you.

For the record how much are the controllers again?

Also building was the main thing that put me off the whole project, if you offer good value and have them available on ebay aswell, I'm sure you'll make good business.

P.s spotted your car at Autolusso on Tuesday, had a little gander at the lights on your car whilst I had the opportunity Might have to also copy your sig, I'd like to keep track of my car 'mods' so to speak aswell as work that needs to be carried out.

Cheers.

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 01-09-16 at 17:49.
AO Member

County: Copenhagen
That's nice. I'm interested in a full set, LHD though. Who shall I get contact with, Chris?

BR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
If you ever want controllers adding, feel free to reach out as we have stock. We also have a builder in the team now that can build full sets for those that want them but dont want the hassle of building them.
(Post Link) post #1420 of 1445 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
P.s spotted your car at Autolusso on Tuesday, had a little gander at the lights on your car whilst I had the opportunity Might have to also copy your sig, I'd like to keep track of my car 'mods' so to speak aswell as work that needs to be carried out.

Cheers.
Feel free to copy the sig, but I keep the real info here: Alfa 159 Ti | Jabablog

As for the controllers, when you are ready reach out to me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK/

Controllers are 50 each + shipping so would be about 110 all in. You would need to do the power differently to how its done with the relays though as the controllers use a "clean" power source and a combination of Pulse Width Modulation and LED drivers to guarantee very long and stable life!

Its all info available on the wiki or the facebook page.

Enjoy!
AlfaJoe92 and Marewx like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

I really, really need to stop reading this thread.....I've spent too much money already over the last few months lmao (and I ain't even gonna look at ya meaty turbo dyno figures in the 'other' post....not until I burn the current clutch out anyway)
JabawokJayUK likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Hi Guys / Jaba,

Got a few questions if you wouldn't mind.

1.) Is it possible to hook up the Halo's fuse / power to the sidelights connection so I can switch them off / on on the left hand stalk as right now, my Halos are connected such (To the battery) so that they come on with ignition with no way to turn them off except with the engine off. I know this means they are technically true DRL's now, but I believe there is a time and a place for the halos and sometimes I don't want to be too obnoxious with them on.

2.) One of my light housings has a broken clip / catch which screws onto the bonnet slap panel. It has a bolt through it drilled into the light which keeps it stable, but I was wondering if anyone else had a light housing with the inner top clip broken and had a better method to keep it tight, I was thinking of molding some thin steel / metal to the shape of the clip and screw it onto the light housing / onto the slap panel . I'm asking mainly because due to their not being a third clip, one of my lights sits slightly higher on the inside, which means when the bonnet is shut, it actually cuts off a small portion of one of the rings, so it looks more like a 3/4 horse shoe, whereas the other side is fine, just bugs me is all. I'm thinking the inner clip actually pushes the light down, or maybe perhaps its a combination of the inner clip and the under clip being tightened in the wrong position.

Also previously mention, my number plate lights weren't giving off canbus errors in the end, just one of them had blown :s

Cheers.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Hi Guys / Jaba,

Got a few questions if you wouldn't mind.

1.) Is it possible to hook up the Halo's fuse / power to the sidelights connection so I can switch them off / on on the left hand stalk as right now, my Halos are connected such (To the battery) so that they come on with ignition with no way to turn them off except with the engine off. I know this means they are technically true DRL's now, but I believe there is a time and a place for the halos and sometimes I don't want to be too obnoxious with them on.
In line fuse from the battery Pull the fuse if you don't want them on.
In line on/off switch either in the engine compartment or wired back to the dash.
If you want them coming on with the sidelights, a switched relay, with the switch feed coming from the sidelights.

HTH
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I think the last two options seem on point. A switch would be nice, but my mechanical / diy skills are rubbish and I'd never make it look decent. I think the last solution seems about right, could you give any more info on how I'd created a switched relay and what connection points I'd need to use? Although would this cause a possble 'bulb out' dash light to come on?

How difficult would it be to make a switch that could run into the dash? Even something primitive, and wheres the best place to feed it through?

Would something like this work as the switch?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mintice-Veh...3109120&sr=1-7

I've been watching this...

Basically I just need to run off my existing relay and hook up the switch to the positive and ground and then to one of the jumpers on the original relay right?

Will I need some of these:
http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/39-amp...uto-cable.html
and this
http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/fully-...inal-blue.html

Cheers.

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 05-09-16 at 22:45.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
For those that arn't technical enough to build these, I will have my halo lights for sale soon as I am selling my car.

They have my own COB halo's installed (not using Jays controllers) but have some DRL controllers to turn off the middle halo when the indicators come on.

They come complete with a 55W 6000k HID kit with slim balists, and expensive 80W CREE indicators bulbs and upgraded main beam bulbs.

The lights themselves are only 6 months old as I wanted to keep my genuine Alfa lights standard.

Open to sensible offers.

Hope ok to mention it on this thread?? the classifieds arn't working for me !

-----------------------------------
FOR SALE SOON - Alfa 159Ti 2011 2.0JTDm, Black with genuine Alfa bodykit and late spec interior .

Previous Alfa's = Fantasy Blue 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon |Alfa 156 V6 S/W with LPG | Nuvelo 147 GTA with Connect +, 18" alloys, Coilovers, CDA and remap| 156 2.4 JTD sportwagon with 185 BHP, lowered, 17" white speedline wheels, and Zender bodykit|156 V6 SP3 in Cosmos with big spoiler|1998 Spider TS in green.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 159 or brera or sprider , brera , drl , halo , leds , project , project halo , spider