"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project - Page 52 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 183Likes

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokepa View Post
yeah, but the only one option now is 400 GB pounds + 2 headlights, wich is insane ...
Hey Jay
what about these smd leds ?

For Alfa Romeo Brera Spider 2005 2010 Excellent 6 pcs smd led Angel Eyes Super bright 3528 SMD led Angel Eyes-in Angel Eyes from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #1277 of 1445 Old 22-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage

I think you misunderstand. If your plan is to use my controllers which cost 100gbp then you need to buy the correct rings as listed on the wiki.

If you just want to put rings in and not have them controlled then you can buy whatever you like
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
I think you misunderstand. If your plan is to use my controllers which cost 100gbp then you need to buy the correct rings as listed on the wiki.

If you just want to put rings in and not have them controlled then you can buy whatever you like
Jay

Looks like Mr Zootool is either out of stock or on an extended holiday.
This is the message that comes up on the EBay listing 'This seller is currently away until 01 Apr, 2016, and isn't processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your Watch List to purchase later.'

His AliExpress prices have gone silly which is what I suspect kokepa was alluding to 95MM(outer diameter=95mm) 66 SMD 3528 LED Cool White Light Car Angel Eyes Daytime Running Light Lamp (9~30V / 2 PCS/lot)-in Angel Eyes from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
(Post Link) post #1279 of 1445 Old 23-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Thanks for the clarification...

From what I can see in the pictures and description the set on AliExpress that kokepa has linked to "should be" OK. They are the same 3528 SMD type LEDS as in the current rings so as long as the quantities of LEDS in the rings is about the same then the amperage will be ok for them.

We wont know 100% for sure until someone buys a set and measures the amperage drain per ring.

I have asked time and again in this thread where people have used alternative rings to measure the amp drain to see if they would be compatible, but unfortunately this projects progression is limited to the time I can put into it...

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Cumbria

Member car:

brera

Hi iv got my halo rings can I connect them straight on to a 12 volt battery just to test them before I fit them. Thanks Richard.
(Post Link) post #1281 of 1445 Old 23-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrichie View Post
Hi iv got my halo rings can I connect them straight on to a 12 volt battery just to test them before I fit them. Thanks Richard.
Yes, as long as you leave the black box in-line to the ring you can put them straight onto 12v
AO Member

Member car:

brera

Thanks much appreciated.
AO Member

Member car:

brera

Hi just thought I'd share my headlight splitting experience with you guys. First headlight I put in the oven 175 degrees made a cup of tea went back to get it out about 10 or 12 minutes later. Result melted main beam lens. So on to the next one reduced heat to about 165 degrees put second headlight in for about 8 minutes got it out cracked indicator lens (I think this is probably because I got it from outside very cold about - 2). So on to second set of headlights a more unorthodox approach as I still had a good pair of the rear part of the headlights I just butchered the back of the new set (see pic ). Then get a heat gun and gently heated the remainder of the back part and it came apart no problem. Moral of the story is be more patient with the cooking process ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1453655551921.jpg (63.9 KB, 34 views)
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrichie View Post
Hi just thought I'd share my headlight splitting experience with you guys. First headlight I put in the oven 175 degrees made a cup of tea went back to get it out about 10 or 12 minutes later. Result melted main beam lens. So on to the next one reduced heat to about 165 degrees put second headlight in for about 8 minutes got it out cracked indicator lens (I think this is probably because I got it from outside very cold about - 2). So on to second set of headlights a more unorthodox approach as I still had a good pair of the rear part of the headlights I just butchered the back of the new set (see pic ). Then get a heat gun and gently heated the remainder of the back part and it came apart no problem. Moral of the story is be more patient with the cooking process ?
Definately. Go gently on the heating process. If you get it wrong then it's a new light. It is also worth checking to see how the light would fit in the oven beforehand. If the light touches the oven walls then it will likely melt and damage the lense or back - which you don't want. The videos from the YouTube detailed on the wiki are also very helpful.
Druboo likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

brera

Good advice. I took the bull in a china shop approach and payed the price
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
That was my dilema ... Wife's electric oven was too small and I only had a gas oven at my old house. So I had to do it at a lower temp for longer, checking on it every 2-3 mins until they'd pull apart.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Think I'm going to go the heat gun route, But I haven't taken enough bravery pills yet!
matty74 likes this.
AO Member

County: West-Vlaanderen
Garage
I did it with a heat gun , didn't have any problems ! I think this method is the most controllable.
You aim the heat where you need it so you cant damage lens or other parts ...
Troll likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowie View Post
I did it with a heat gun , didn't have any problems ! I think this method is the most controllable.
You aim the heat where you need it so you cant damage lens or other parts ...
hmm just need a spare set of lights then i can join the club
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I found ones on Ebay for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...8AAOSwxN5WZgNR

I don't know if these are related to anyone on here?? Tempted to take the plunge and get ready made ones... I would compeltely c*ck up ones that I tried to do myself
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB2801 View Post
I found ones on Ebay for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...8AAOSwxN5WZgNR

I don't know if these are related to anyone on here?? Tempted to take the plunge and get ready made ones... I would compeltely c*ck up ones that I tried to do myself
Not been on the site in an age, got busy and was using a bit too much time on here. Toying with the idea of changing my Bera S to a TBi so popped in to look at the classified and thought I'd catch up on the halos mainly in the hope someone was now building them for the DIY challenged!

My halo controllers have been sitting in my office ever since they arrived because time and generally knowing I'd make a mess of it has put me off. The above clearly aren't as cool, but look very tempting for those that don't have the DIY skills to proceed. Leicester isn't too far from me either...

Tempting indeed.

"Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?” Jeremy Clarkson on the Brera
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

Very silly question. Would these be likely to work with the controller from this project?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
Very silly question. Would these be likely to work with the controller from this project?
And to answer my own question, the seller on eBay is using the controller from this on his own lights.
kokepa likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Does anyone have any suggestions as to sourcing rings given the original supplier is away for the next couple of months? Very much a novice at this so not sure what spec they need to be or minimum number of LEDS etc.

Jay - can you put me down for a set of controllers please?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

Made a deal with the eBay guy. I'm sending him my controllers so he can pre-fit those before I visit for a headlight swap (apparently this adds a fair amount of extra work).

I shall report back when done.

He's taking my headlights in part exchange, so will assume he'll have another set for sale soon.
(Post Link) post #1296 of 1445 Old 03-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
Made a deal with the eBay guy. I'm sending him my controllers so he can pre-fit those before I visit for a headlight swap (apparently this adds a fair amount of extra work).

I shall report back when done.

He's taking my headlights in part exchange, so will assume he'll have another set for sale soon.

Not sure about this....

I only know 1 guy doing builds and that is Chris in Scotland.

Alternative rings are have been discussed a few posts ago and they are similar in price.

Bear in mind that that THF rings and wiring for the controllers are quite specific, but if he if he is willing to build them or prep them for it then you are good. Please nots blowing these controllers is very easy if you don't follow the instructions and get your wiring wrong. Also I test every controller before shipping it so I know they leave me working if this eBay seller blows the controller "testing it" I'm not responsible!!!!!!

If you need a guy to build them pm me and I'll hook you up with an approved builder.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Not sure about this....

I only know 1 guy doing builds and that is Chris in Scotland.

Alternative rings are have been discussed a few posts ago and they are similar in price.

Bear in mind that that THF rings and wiring for the controllers are quite specific, but if he if he is willing to build them or prep them for it then you are good. Please nots blowing these controllers is very easy if you don't follow the instructions and get your wiring wrong. Also I test every controller before shipping it so I know they leave me working if this eBay seller blows the controller "testing it" I'm not responsible!!!!!!

If you need a guy to build them pm me and I'll hook you up with an approved builder.
Far less chance of this guy blowing them than me! Don't worry, I was not expecting anything from you should we manage to break them ourselves.

Must admit I didn't realise builds were being offered now, too many posts to go through. Spare cash for lights is not where it was a while back, so this seems like a good quick option to actually make something happen.

It's a bit of a leap of faith, but I'm ok with the risk level.
JabawokJayUK likes this.
(Post Link) post #1298 of 1445 Old 04-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
As long as you're happy, I don't mind who builds what!!! I just get concerned when people start to ad-lib with parts as the margin for failure is drastically increased and then I start getting the "it just stopped working" emails

Parts are supplied without warranty but as many will attest to, I do my best to make sure any issues are resolved quickly.

As mentioned time and again, this is not a business, it's a community project.
Mito_No3 likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Given the normal supplier of the rings is away for the next couple of months I've been trying to find alternatives. Problem is I'm not sure I'm comparing like with like.

These are the 90mm version but have 48 SMD whereas the originals have 63 SMD - not sure what SMD are though? Anyone any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252055636953?ul_noapp=true
(Post Link) post #1300 of 1445 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Although I cannot 100% guarantee it, these look to be the right rings from an alternative vendor as discovered by another forum member a few posts ago:

For Alfa Romeo Brera Spider 2005 2010 Excellent 6 pcs smd led Angel Eyes Super bright 3528 SMD led Angel Eyes-in Angel Eyes from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
emerycloth likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 159 or brera or sprider , brera , drl , halo , leds , project , project halo , spider