"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 183Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #76 of 1445 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
I have looked at the fog's directly and its the same issue, sealed units that look a mare to get open. current plan is to fit an additional custom DRL into the foglight trim surround. I have a mate working up a prototype fitment based on my spec ready for me to add the electronics to. Thing is, he's too busy building a lancaster and a spitfire model at the minute to crack on with it! don't ask!
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #77 of 1445 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonasH View Post
I start looking into this and I need some help. I didn't found anyone yet, who would do it in acceptable price. One guy asked GBP200 for a prototype...
If you can post me some LED rings I'll knock one up for you and post it you back.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
periro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Slovakia
County: Trnavsky
Posts: 15
Sizes and material that the LED or CCFL rings are made of

Guys, I am also a bit working on this halo project. After some hours I removed the front bumper and got my headlights out. I want to know the sizes of the rings, I have not opened the headlight from the cover yet, not actually planning to do it anyway, want to find an easier way which i will post when i find. I have measured it from the outside and got 93,89,83mm. But for me the most important question here is the material of the rings, if I can stretch them and than make them round again or it is stiff? With this I dont have an experience thats why I am asking you. Please help in this, is slowing me down
periro is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 149
Quick update on where I'm at with the Halo set from Kiev.
My work colleague's brother has bought a set for me and picked them up. However, the "couriers" won't take the package as it's not big enough or heavy enough to be worth while (they're not actually couriers but more a private network of Ukranians that bring stuff into the Uk for Ukranians that live here - all a bit iffy sounding but I'm assured it's all above board and UK based Ukranians wouldn't ship things any other way).
He tried the Post Office and they said they couldn't guarantee that someone wouldn't throw something heavy on top of it and crush it! As they're probably fairly fragile I didn't fancy that.
So that leaves me with option 3 which is that my colleague will be going home again roughly at Easter as her sister is having a baby around then. She will then bring the box back as hand luggage.
She did say that her brother has managed to get some English instructions as well though. If they're a bit iffy then she'll translate the Ukranian ones herself.

If this all works out ok then I'll look to order a batch so shipping will be easier.
smarty156 is offline  
Status: Can't get into the interior light cluster!
AO Member
 
The_Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 963
Images: 38


Thanks for keeping us all updated - this remains IMO the most likely route to success out of everything being tried!
The_Abyss is offline  
Status: Broken again...
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 17
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,665
Images: 6
Garage
I saw a mondeo with angel eyes the other day, never seen anything look more ****...

And sticking them in the fogs as well, what are you thinking? The reason why they work so well on BMWs is because they are subtle and are a part of the design language, why not do something unique that is sympathetic to the Brera design?

Its like lexus tail lights for the front of your car
GhostyDog is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by periro View Post
Guys, I am also a bit working on this halo project. After some hours I removed the front bumper and got my headlights out. I want to know the sizes of the rings, I have not opened the headlight from the cover yet, not actually planning to do it anyway, want to find an easier way which i will post when i find. I have measured it from the outside and got 93,89,83mm. But for me the most important question here is the material of the rings, if I can stretch them and than make them round again or it is stiff? With this I dont have an experience thats why I am asking you. Please help in this, is slowing me down
Hi periro,
I wasn't posting here for a while, as I haven't seen any big interest. That's why I didn't spent time on translating my headlight modification how-to. In general I cut off three fronts. Pictures: ImageShack Album - 51 images I will post description soon

I used 100, 94 and 90mm SMD rings from this site: http://jafra.home.pl/index.php/cPath/187_237 Those are made in China, but everything is Guy who sold it to me locally said that he sold more than hundred sets in total, and had only one warranty case - broken solder. He fixed that anyway in a minute.
If anyone would want to use them, and will not find it locally, I could help with shipping.


...V6 sound - pricelsess!

Last edited by YonasH; 20-02-12 at 09:32.
YonasH is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
periro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Slovakia
County: Trnavsky
Posts: 15
Yes I am very interested in this, I have Brera in white with bixenon headlights and when I first saw this car,or 159, it was actually screaming at me to put such rings inside but the question was how to open it. In your case looks good, but have you tried it already in real work? I see you only used that blue tape, is it water proof enough? No moisture inside the headlight after some time? I tried many ways to open it, but no luck and dont want to dmg the whole headlight. Will get myself such mini drill and most probably will do it your way. Hope my hands wont shake too much in cutting :-P And for the order of rings, I see you used LED not the CCFL,right? Will look for them in my country,Slovakia, and If i wont find them will ask you. How did you do the wiring? I mean connection,instead of parking lights? Or you made them as DRLs?
periro is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

My unit is still only a prototype. But I'm sure that this will be an easier and safer way to install the rings. Blue tape is only for extra protection. There is "gun glue" underneath. But I need to remove it as it is not high temperature proof. I will use some silicone glue instead. Hold on with buying that mini drill. I will try to use... hmm... a thread saw(?) (can't find English name for it - e.g. http://www.szafir.pl/photo/product_b...4e154e190e.jpg). It can be even more easy.

Yes, I used SMD rings instead of CCFL. Compare it yourself:
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/atta...t-img_0550.jpg
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/atta...t-img_0553.jpg
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/atta...t-img_0554.jpg
Both on full power. Any questions?

The wiring... well... this is still in progress, but the result will be awesome! E.g. separate control of each ring, dimming when indicator is on, welcome and goodbye "animations". Everything done by software. It will be not cheap, but worth of it!
You can always use any existing DRL module if want to safe some money.
YonasH is offline  
(Post Link) post #85 of 1445 Old 20-02-12 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Great progress YonasH - I have been side-tracked on my brake light project, but intend to pick up the alternate DRL project again once I get some parts I have been waiting for.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
periro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Slovakia
County: Trnavsky
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonasH View Post
My unit is still only a prototype. But I'm sure that this will be an easier and safer way to install the rings. Blue tape is only for extra protection. There is "gun glue" underneath. But I need to remove it as it is not high temperature proof. I will use some silicone glue instead. Hold on with buying that mini drill. I will try to use... hmm... a thread saw(?) (can't find English name for it - e.g. http://www.szafir.pl/photo/product_b...4e154e190e.jpg). It can be even more easy.

Yes, I used SMD rings instead of CCFL. Compare it yourself:
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/atta...t-img_0550.jpg
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/atta...t-img_0553.jpg
http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/atta...t-img_0554.jpg
Both on full power. Any questions?

The wiring... well... this is still in progress, but the result will be awesome! E.g. separate control of each ring, dimming when indicator is on, welcome and goodbye "animations". Everything done by software. It will be not cheap, but worth of it!
You can always use any existing DRL module if want to safe some money.
So not tu rush it with the mini drill you say? Why? Was not good? With the saw I am afraid that there is not enough space between the individual lights to cut it.

With the wiring you are right, will do it after I get the actual rings inside.

But for now, I have the headlight in front of me and keep looking at it
Guess the cut will be probably the best after all, but with very very thin cut.
For you was it going easy with the mini drill? Or some complications?
periro is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 192
I fear a few people will be suffering with headlight condensation issues in the near future
Pretty sure these headlights are sealed for a reason

Still... you are brave cause those lights ain't cheap.

As for the **** Mondeo...... its a Mondeo, what do you expect.
Its all a matter of personal taste. I seriously doubt a decent job on these lights will look any more ****, than some of the lowering efforts or wheel changes on here.
Stevolution is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by periro View Post
So not tu rush it with the mini drill you say? Why? Was not good? With the saw I am afraid that there is not enough space between the individual lights to cut it.

With the wiring you are right, will do it after I get the actual rings inside.

But for now, I have the headlight in front of me and keep looking at it
Guess the cut will be probably the best after all, but with very very thin cut.
For you was it going easy with the mini drill? Or some complications?
Mini drill was good enough, but you can't access single light all around. Only high beam light is accessible. So you have to use some other tool too. I used a file tool. So for indicator and road light it took 5 minutes to cut and 45 minutes to file. Each. Other cons is that even that I used smallest mini-drill disc, the gap have about 2mm.
With that "thread saw" I mentioned you could probably achieve better result. But I'm not talking about normal saw. It is a special one, used e.g. in jewellery. It can be only 0.25mm thin. Direct translation from Polish would be "hair saw". You need to find its name yourself.

If you can't wait to modify your headlights, then I can't stop you But I would hold at least until you will get LED ring's. After all modifications the internal chrome tube is shorter, so without rings will not looking good.
I need to replace the gun glue with silicone glue in my prototype, so I will take some pictures how the unit will look if you will have to remove the rings.
YonasH is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevolution View Post
I fear a few people will be suffering with headlight condensation issues in the near future
Don't worry. Did you know that original headlight have two holes with a special rubber tube at the back? So even the original isn't completely waterproof.

Last edited by YonasH; 21-02-12 at 11:54.
YonasH is offline  
(Post Link) post #90 of 1445 Old 21-02-12 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
I second that YonasH, the headlight is not a sealed unit at all. One of the dust caps on the rear used to access the centre light unit to change the bulb even has a vent in it. Nothing seals the front from the back either, so moisture is always able to get into the stock unit even before modification.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Broken again...
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 17
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,665
Images: 6
Garage
What I was saying that got completely missed was why not come up with a different design for the DRLs, something that is unique just for the Brera 159

I just think with putting halo's on it's not really unique, especially eight of them if you include the spots...
GhostyDog is offline  
(Post Link) post #92 of 1445 Old 21-02-12 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
What I was saying that got completely missed was why not come up with a different design for the DRLs, something that is unique just for the Brera 159

I just think with putting halo's on it's not really unique, especially eight of them if you include the spots...
In a Prior post I covered this GD, and am working on the alternate / custom DRL alongside the main Halo conversion. YonasH is leading on the Halo conversion as many people like them, and I am leading on the alternate location DRL, near the fogs, but not "in" the fogs as a Halo. Check back through the thread if your interested.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
periro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Slovakia
County: Trnavsky
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonasH View Post
Mini drill was good enough, but you can't access single light all around. Only high beam light is accessible. So you have to use some other tool too. I used a file tool. So for indicator and road light it took 5 minutes to cut and 45 minutes to file. Each. Other cons is that even that I used smallest mini-drill disc, the gap have about 2mm.
With that "thread saw" I mentioned you could probably achieve better result. But I'm not talking about normal saw. It is a special one, used e.g. in jewellery. It can be only 0.25mm thin. Direct translation from Polish would be "hair saw". You need to find its name yourself.

If you can't wait to modify your headlights, then I can't stop you But I would hold at least until you will get LED ring's. After all modifications the internal chrome tube is shorter, so without rings will not looking good.
I need to replace the gun glue with silicone glue in my prototype, so I will take some pictures how the unit will look if you will have to remove the rings.
Ok than. Those rings that you have, are there a bit flexible? Or its a complete circle without possible bending or twisting?

Because I have ordered a LED strip, very flexible each direction, dont know if it will look so nice as those you have but I need to see it for real and try how it will look.
periro is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

My one is solid plastic. There is only 0.5-1mm gap each side. It is VERY close to a perfection.
YonasH is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
periro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Slovakia
County: Trnavsky
Posts: 15
So I will probably finish the whole thing this weekend, will upload pictures here afterwards. Would have had it finished two weeks ago, but got my LEDs in two different colors, good seller :-/. But nvm, got another ones, will install it, put the whole car back together and finally, can take it out from the garage, spring is comming
periro is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

I'm waiting for some pictures.
My project is in progress. I'm finalizing the electronic schema, and writing the software. I still need few weeks, so I will be late for spring...
YonasH is offline  
Status: V6 sound - priceless
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Poland
County: Mazowieckie
Posts: 53

Member car:

Brera V6

YonasH is offline  
Status: Upset about lack of tapatalk support.
AO Silver Member
 
MarcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 1,561
Images: 6

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonasH View Post
Very cool!
MarcG is offline  
Status: 6 cylinders. Big smile.
AO Silver Member
 
wynne71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 5,064
Now that is cool as! Like a lot. How much for 2x right hand drive headlights converted to this..........??
wynne71 is offline  
Status: Broken again...
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
GhostyDog's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 17
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right Side O The Pennines
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 25,665
Images: 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonasH View Post
Can you do one where the lights go from side to side like knight rider?
GhostyDog is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 159 or brera or sprider , brera , drl , halo , leds , project , project halo , spider

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome