"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 183Likes

AO Member

County: Mazowieckie

Member car:

Brera V6

Finally I found some time, and I will describe how did I take my test unit apart. I will tell you what I done, and what I learned. I hope my English will be understandable enough

First I tried to use some solvents, but without results.
Then I tried to heat it up in the oven: 75°C... 100°C... 125°C... Above 100 deg. back, black cover starts to be plastic, but the transparent front is not. This is very good news. The front is visible after all. I tried to lever up the front, but it wasn't moving. Only back part start to unbend. I could bend it back nearly to the same shape (80-90%).
Finally I decided to use full power and do everything I could. I choose one bottom corner of the unit and used a screw driver. After few tries the screw driver was inside! From accessed corner I had access to whole bottom rim. I used long screw driver to drill-in into it. There was some rim damage (unbending) but I didn't care. That part of the unit is not visible at all. I have some idea how to avoid it, but about it later...
When bottom rim was released I drill-in into side rims. It was the easiest part. Nearly no damage.
When I had 3 of 4 rims done, I thought I would be able to open the unit like a door, but no way! This glue is hard as a rock! Because of the shape of the unit, I couldn't drill in. I didn't want to damage that rim. It is visible with bonnet open.
Then I used method which I should use from the beginning: using two screw drivers (big and wide) levering up the two covers inch by inch. It was easy go and without damage. I made it after heating the unit, but I'm not sure if it is necessary.
The headlight is open!

Now. It wasn't the best method to do this. I would NOT do this again in the same way. Nothing is broken, but the bottom edge of back part is unbend in many places. Few pictures:

Initial "stab":
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Damaged bottom edge:

Top edge:

Front cover:

Now, if I had to dis-assemble next unit, I would do it in much different way:
1. Use mini drill or soldering iron to cut off bottom outside edge of the back cover
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5778/159ad.jpg
2. Use knife/scalpel to cut off the glue from that rim
3. Use small screw driver to lever up bottom edge
4. Use two big and wide screw drivers to lever up front cover inch by inch
4a. If the glue is not ripping off easy enough - heat the unit up in the oven in 75-100°C for about 5 minutes (repeat after cool down)

When the unit taken apart in this way is stuck back together, the bottom cut-off edge can be just flood with the new glue. Headlight will be lake-proof again.

One more clue:
When you will clean up the back cover edge from the glue, cover the reflectors/mirrors with some sheet of paper to avoid dirt it with tiny glue pieces.
And as far as I know - TOUCHING THE INSIDE MIRROR PARTS IS FORBIDDEN as it can cause the mirror layer to come off in some time! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So - it is all my knowledge. I hope you will share your improvements

...V6 sound - pricelsess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 1445 Old 20-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Awesome work Yonash, my unit is next on the attempted list, but not for tonight at least!!
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
yes excellent work YonasH.

I replaced some glued/sealed lenses many years ago on a vauxal omega and I had exactly the same problem with getting the glue to soften enough, I found the oven baking helped but was awkward handeling the unit with oven gloves and prying away.

What I ended up doing was using a soldering iron with a craft knife attatchment so it was like a "hot knife through butter"on the sealing glue, but still requires patients!:-)
AO Member

County: Surrey
If they prove to not effect the normal functionality and performance of the lights, and if someone makes them for me, I'd buy some... surely if we get enough people interesting in purchasing, it would be worth someone's while to produce them for sale?
AO Member

Whenever i see these halo rings on anything but a BMW (which i've never been a fan of either) i just think back to the days when i had my Corsa with "angel eye" headlights

IMO they just look tacky and a little chavvy, maybe that's just my previous experience with them?

The 159/Brera front end is gorgeous as it is, please don't go decorating it with fairy lights just because it's Christmas
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Mmm... butchery on my shiney 2011 Sportwagon..... nope

Still... watching with interest however.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevolution View Post
mmm... Butchery on my shiney 2011 sportwagon..... Nope
+1

(Post Link) post #33 of 1445 Old 21-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
IMO they just look tacky and a little chavvy, maybe that's just my previous experience with them?

The 159/Brera front end is gorgeous as it is, please don't go decorating it with fairy lights just because it's Christmas
Don, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I thank you for yours. That said, peoples taste is individual, and although you don't like them, others do.

This is an experiment into the possible, therefore its probable it will never make it onto the actual car. Feel free to watch with glee and take your personal pleasure from the experience, and if you think you can add value, then please do.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Don, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I thank you for yours. That said, peoples taste is individual, and although you don't like them, others do.

This is an experiment into the possible, therefore its probable it will never make it onto the actual car. Feel free to watch with glee and take your personal pleasure from the experience, and if you think you can add value, then please do.
Oh ye i'm not saying don't bother with it, it'll be interesting to see

I just hate seeing Saxo's/Golf's/Corsa's with the aftermarket angel eyes as they look poo IMO and wouldn't want people to ruin a gorgeous Alfa front end
AO Member

County: Kent
FWIW - I think the ones in the original post look very nice. They don't look after market or cheap and tacky at all.
They actually look like they were always intended to be like that.
I like them.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

I love the idea of these but unless someone does it for me it will just never happen. I've got so many bits lying around from projects I've started and never got done...

I think maybe the halo fogs mentioned in the previous thread may be a simpler, but still pretty effective easy of getting DRL.
(Post Link) post #37 of 1445 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Had a few thoughts that essentially needed writing down as they were keeping me awake!

1) The headlights are going to be a mare to get apart.
2) See above
3) Given points 1 & 2, its something I only ever want to do once.

So....

If I fit a CCFL inside and it blows, Its a problem. Same with LED rings. The idea of a bumper off, headlight out, oven bake procedure to change a broken halo is not appealing.

Plan B....

Although the guy who "made his own" LED rings from that earlier post clearly watched way too much blue peter and was on the crack pipe when he attempted the electronics, he was onto something. If, I manufactured a plastic ring that fits inside the reflector housing but extended into the rear of the light unit, then I would be able to glue the headlights back together forever, as I could project light from the rear of the unit and any LEDs that failed would be accessible through the normal way from the back. Also, it means I can use RGB LEDs to make the Halos change colour to orange in time with the indicators if I can find some high powered RGB ones that is!

Anyway, hopefully that's enough off my mind to let me sleep now!

night all!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
(Post Link) post #38 of 1445 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
I think maybe the halo fogs mentioned in the previous thread may be a simpler, but still pretty effective easy of getting DRL.
Fogs are Plan C Marc
rjc_147

I had an idea that may work but needs testing.

The thinking is why not fit something directly in front of the headlight beam (bulb) that obscures the light with a control signal (electronic shutter) , but is small enough to allow a halo effect.
Then I though there must exist such a device and yes it's called electronic controlled privacy glass.

A quick Google showed up this:

Privacy Glass | LC SmartGlass | Privacy On Demand | London| UK

So you can get a circle of this glass and try it on the outside and if it works then make it permanent on the inside.

It may work out expensive though and it wont allow your idea of changing the halo colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Had a few thoughts that essentially needed writing down as they were keeping me awake!

1) The headlights are going to be a mare to get apart.
2) See above
3) Given points 1 & 2, its something I only ever want to do once.

So....

If I fit a CCFL inside and it blows, Its a problem. Same with LED rings. The idea of a bumper off, headlight out, oven bake procedure to change a broken halo is not appealing.

Plan B....

Although the guy who "made his own" LED rings from that earlier post clearly watched way too much blue peter and was on the crack pipe when he attempted the electronics, he was onto something. If, I manufactured a plastic ring that fits inside the reflector housing but extended into the rear of the light unit, then I would be able to glue the headlights back together forever, as I could project light from the rear of the unit and any LEDs that failed would be accessible through the normal way from the back. Also, it means I can use RGB LEDs to make the Halos change colour to orange in time with the indicators if I can find some high powered RGB ones that is!

Anyway, hopefully that's enough off my mind to let me sleep now!

night all!

AO Member

Member car:

Brera V6

@rjc
It will cost a fortune

@Jay
I have the same worries.
Maybe any further re-installing of the rings will be not the same hard, as we can use a different glue. E.g. that same sticky, but reacting with some solvent.
Removing the bumper will be easier each next time as well.
Next - remember that SMD are very long life. I think if any ring will fail after 5 years it will be surprising quick.

If you are still not convinced, I have one more idea for you
If you will look at single lampshade cross section you will find (from outside):
-removable outside silver cover
-transparent front cover
-internal silver reflector

My plan X is to cut off the middle section of each lampshade, inch or two behind front lid. It need to be done very precisely! No burrs!
Then all modifications can be made with easy access. When done, glue the lid back to the unit with some silicon glue. To ensure that lid will be not rotated, make some marker first.
When whole headlight will be assembled back together, there will be no sign at all!
Schema: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8714/159lw.jpg

Huge pros:
-if any ring will broke, you will be able to... fix it on the car! You will just remove the front cover, use a knife to cut off your glue, remove the lid, clean the edges, replace the ring and.... and only sticking it back together w/o nice access from the bottom can be tricky. But doable.

As you can see from the schema, there is one more pros:
-in our previous plan, if you will use wrong glue, or do it wrong - the whole front cover can come off When you will do the same mistake in new plan, the silver external cover's shape will keep it in place.

That was my Plan X. Till now. I'm close to move it to "A" position!
(Post Link) post #41 of 1445 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
YonasH,

I am with you on Plan X !!

I just spent most of the morning trying to get the unit apart and have literally given up after over cooking it in the oven!! As the lenses are actually thin plastic and not glass I can confirm that their tolerance to heat is not as much as the glue, also the glue is far more tolerable to heat than the entire headlight in general, so oven baking to split this unit in production is not a viable option. (I now have a slightly droopy looking even more battered headlight than I started )

I think the idea of cutting the lenses is ok and had been considering that myself, but I have another cunning plan. I have a friend that can vaccume form plastic, and I am going to see if we can make a mould from the chrome covers that look the same, but are made of perspex. By doing this we can chrome the units as per the originals but leave a halo style front edge to the unit exposing the perspex. Then applying a high powered led to the hidden top edge at the back would light the front ring.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

This mod would not require any access to the internal parts of the light nor would it require any cutting. essentially, it would be a plastic replacement kit for the existing parts. You would still need to drop the bumper an inch or two to get to the screws on the bottom of the facier plate of the headlights, but that would be it.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera V6

Your Plan "Z" sounds not too bad. There will be two major issues I think:
- to chrome those new covers
- to fit and connect dozens of LEDs on the back to get evenly light distribution

Anyway, I will wait for your friend response
(Post Link) post #43 of 1445 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
No need for dozens of LEDs just 3 x high power RGB ones. I have found some 3 x 1 Watt per channel RGB LEDs that are surface mount so only 2mm think and about 1cm square. one of these positioned behind each of teh 3 plastic surrounds will generate more than enough light

You are right though, although in principle a good idea, the manufacturing process is not going to be straightforward and is beyond my DIY ability so I am seeking some advice from a friend on the subject.

If anyone on this thread has a plastics background and could help, please chirp in!!
rjc_147

Don't forget if you are going to drive these high power LED's hard they will get hot and need a heat sink, as their life will be considerably cut short.

(Post Link) post #45 of 1445 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc_147 View Post
Don't forget if you are going to drive these high power LED's hard they will get hot and need a heat sink, as their life will be considerably cut short.
yup, on it. the overall design will account for heat distribution for the LEDs, voltage regulators, micro-controller and other ancillaries. Also, I am not planning on driving the LEDs at full power constantly which will reduce heat and extend life. bear in mind, to get white out of one of these you use all 3x1 watt channels so that's a 3w LED, which is one hell of a lot of light! across each light unit that would be 9w which is about the same as a 40w halogen bulb, so they are going to be rained back for use, but may have full power, tied to a flash.

All still theoretical at this stage until I can get some advice on the surrounds.
AO Member

County: Kent
Guys, the site that was linked to in the original post (Image Car) and seems to be the inspiration for this thread is a Ukranian website making halo kits for all sorts of cars. Apparently, modifying cars is huge in the Ukraine.
As luck would have it I have a work colleague that is Ukranian. Not only that but they are going back for Christmas. Not only that but they are also from Kiev (where the Image Car guys are from) and will be literally 5 minutes round the corner from them visiting the in-laws!
I asked her to translate their website and see what she could discover but she said it would be easier to call in there and talk to them directly and see if she can get her hands on a kit for me. She will bring it back as hand luggage if she can get one and also find out about getting more and shipping to the UK for me.

Watch this space!
(Post Link) post #47 of 1445 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Smarty - awesome!!!! Keep us informed.
rjc_147

This company provides various sizes of LED rings that are sold in packs they potentialy could fit but again they are not cheap

Radiantz LED Lighting

scroll down to Private Angel eyes kit

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

How about we just blu-tak the rings onto the front of the headlight and thus avoid the need to open them at all?

I could probably cope with the technical expertise of that...
AO Member

County: Suffolk
@Smarty156 - would be very interested to hear about that.

The potential exploits of the modders in this thread are very interested but the discussion has already moved to the point where I'd not follow with my own car...!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 159 or brera or sprider , brera , drl , halo , leds , project , project halo , spider