"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project - Page 18 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 183Likes

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 LE

Jay

Them main beams looks unreal

are they the ones that were posted in the LED thread?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-50W-CRE...d=553122600947
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakfive View Post
Jay

Them main beams looks unreal

are they the ones that were posted in the LED thread?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-50W-CRE...d=553122600947
Yes that's them.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 LE

quite expensive arent they ha
(Post Link) post #429 of 1445 Old 27-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
haha, yeah, but after I saw them at Coxy's I had to have a set! We had a spare headlight out of the car so I put in a standard H7 Halogen and tested its beam then the LED Cree's and it was so much brighter I had to have a set!

Project Halo has made me so broke you have no idea!
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdw16396 View Post
Jay
Stunning ! I want to be near the top of the list when tested ! Especially as I'm not far away

Paul .
Stunning is the right word.

Hopefully it will be in order of expressed interest... (as I hope I got in very early).

Anyway, you may not have the cash if I don't turn up later tonight!
(Post Link) post #431 of 1445 Old 27-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Lets make sure they work first then we can talk about orders and preference
AO Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

ALFA 159 JTDM Ti

WOW fantastic= being abit dim sorry but what are HID's could you send a list or link regarding the bulbs youv'e changed and any conversion advise you could offer.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsterj View Post
WOW fantastic= being abit dim sorry but what are HID's could you send a list or link regarding the bulbs youv'e changed and any conversion advise you could offer.
Yeah I second this, you are a complete Guru in this matter. So far I have updated my side lights to 13 LED SMDs and they are ok but no the best. Would the new COB ones you mentioned be better?

Also my Main lights are just Nightbreakers and are not really any different to the standard bulbs. Was thinking about upgrading to these CRE LED lights or some sort of HID upgrade kit?
(Post Link) post #434 of 1445 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
That discussion can be continued here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post6958265
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
That discussion can be continued here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post6958265
Legend, cheers mate.
(Post Link) post #436 of 1445 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
No problem, HIDs are also in this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...b-colours.html
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Hi guys,

When you come to start making a list of people who want a set of these bad boys stick me down! I need these in my life!
(Post Link) post #438 of 1445 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Will do. my dev set are working perfectly at the minute and they get some serious attention! Literally everyone who passes the car just looks at them in awe. I still need to tweak the brightness levels a bit as they do get a bit lost in direct sunlight, but tbh, I am not so sure that is an issue or not given there brightness in every other light condition!
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

I bet they do, they look seriously impressive.
AO Member

Quote:
It Lives!!!

Well I finally got my development set of Halo's on the car, and ooooo do they look mean on a black car!!!

Here you go:

Attachment 248889 Attachment 248921
Attachment 248897 Attachment 248905
Attachment 248913

This picture shows the difference between a Halo headlight and a standard headlight. On the left we have 55w HIDs @ 6K + the Cree sidelights at 6/7K and a Phillips Nightbreaker @ about 4500K. On the right we have the same HID, The new style COB LED's I posted about in the LEDs thread and the new style 50w CREE 1800 Lumens LED H7's that have also been discussed in the LED thread. I think you can see the amazing difference!! - Before anyone asks, no a production set of Halo's will not include any bulbs, HIDs or LEDs but you can buy those off eBay and add them easily before you install into the car.

Attachment 248881

Fitting was easier than I thought so will do up a guide at some stage to accompany the headlights for those that buy a set.

Now they are on, its time for testing!!!
seeing a set on a Black 159/brera has just made my mind up, cant wait to get a set in the new year!
(Post Link) post #441 of 1445 Old 03-12-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
(Post Link) post #442 of 1445 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
---update---

So far so good

They are 100% perfect so far. No issues, no failures, no misbehaving, just perfect operation every time you turn the key.

My list of changes so far is limited to:

1) Increase brightness by 20% on all levels.
2) Use a timed off relay to engage the PSU.

The reason for a timed off is that the trigger point we use to power the relay comes on with the key, but is then switched off during the engine start procedure, so by using a timed off relay with a 10 second time out they will stay on while the engine starts rather than running through the start up routine twice when you get in the car.

...its a minor point but a simple fix

you could also increase the time from 10s to get a follow-me-home function if you wanted... I may set mine to 30 seconds so I get to see them as I walk away from the car....

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Great news.

Although I thought we were having them firing up when we unlock the car?
(Post Link) post #444 of 1445 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
Great news.

Although I thought we were having them firing up when we unlock the car?
We cannot find any point on the alarm trigger/ door unlock sequence that gives us a switched 12v feed. We have gone through all the wiring diagrams for every potential system (locking, alarm, lighting etc) and none of them give us a +12v trigger as the systems are all managed by the CAN bus and computers so any +12's are temporarily triggered near the source, i.e. the body computer fires the door locks via the door computers and +12v is only live for the period of lock/unlock.

If you or someone else knows of a definitive way of getting a +12v feed that we can use to trip a relay that is live for the period the car alarm is NOT set, and can tell us exactly where to find it, then yes, we can certainly make them come on via unlock on the fob.
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Just as a side note.

While I was having the wheel alignment done and front tyres changed today I asked them to check and align my headlights. I had roughly set them using the garage door after fitting the Halo converted set.

As I thought by all the checks and testing I had done its now official the Halo conversion has no effect on the beam pattern and passes the MOT test requirements.

Happy days
(Post Link) post #446 of 1445 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Win
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
JabawokJay, could you perhaps tell me what is required for these lights, or make it available in kit form? I will reimburse you handsomely for your efforts!
AO Member

Quote:
We cannot find any point on the alarm trigger/ door unlock sequence that gives us a switched 12v feed. We have gone through all the wiring diagrams for every potential system (locking, alarm, lighting etc) and none of them give us a +12v trigger as the systems are all managed by the CAN bus and computers so any +12's are temporarily triggered near the source, i.e. the body computer fires the door locks via the door computers and +12v is only live for the period of lock/unlock.

If you or someone else knows of a definitive way of getting a +12v feed that we can use to trip a relay that is live for the period the car alarm is NOT set, and can tell us exactly where to find it, then yes, we can certainly make them come on via unlock on the fob.

Could you use the centre interior light as a trigger? I remember on my first car I wired the fog lights up on to a relay so they came on for 20 seconds when i unlocked the car, and i used the interior light feed for it
(Post Link) post #449 of 1445 Old 19-12-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lusso View Post
JabawokJay, could you perhaps tell me what is required for these lights, or make it available in kit form? I will reimburse you handsomely for your efforts!
Hi Ian, the lights will be made available in two forms, firstly as 2 complete new headlights with all of the electronics and rings installed ready to plug and play, and secondly as a DIY kit that can be installed into your existing headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall147 View Post
Could you use the centre interior light as a trigger? I remember on my first car I wired the fog lights up on to a relay so they came on for 20 seconds when i unlocked the car, and i used the interior light feed for it
Unfortunately not, for two reasons. Firstly, the interior light comes on, and then goes off on a timer, so the relay would then switch off again and the Halos would switch off with it. It may be possible to have this switch between the interior light and a secondary feed from the ignition using a series of relays plugged together but I started to look at this as an approach and it just got messy. That also leads me to the second reason. The Halo headlight kit will come with everything you need pre made and cut to length to install them yourself. To help keep the installation easy we can't really ask people to run wiring into the cabin through the bulk head to a random wire in a loom so instead we use the headlight washer relay trigger point in the engine bay next to the battery in the engine fuse box. Its just a case of plug and play that way.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Hi Ian, the lights will be made available in two forms, firstly as 2 complete new headlights with all of the electronics and rings installed ready to plug and play, and secondly as a DIY kit that can be installed into your existing headlights.

Unfortunately not, for two reasons. Firstly, the interior light comes on, and then goes off on a timer, so the relay would then switch off again and the Halos would switch off with it. It may be possible to have this switch between the interior light and a secondary feed from the ignition using a series of relays plugged together but I started to look at this as an approach and it just got messy. That also leads me to the second reason. The Halo headlight kit will come with everything you need pre made and cut to length to install them yourself. To help keep the installation easy we can't really ask people to run wiring into the cabin through the bulk head to a random wire in a loom so instead we use the headlight washer relay trigger point in the engine bay next to the battery in the engine fuse box. Its just a case of plug and play that way.
Does every car have the washers? My 2007 Brera doesnt.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 159 or brera or sprider , brera , drl , halo , leds , project , project halo , spider