"Project Halo" - The 159, Brera & Spider HALO DRL Project - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 183Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore Sportivo View Post
LOVING THESE!

I have factory xenons on my 159, could these still be fitted?

CS
Sorry but At this moment in time we are not offering the full conversion for the factory Xenons.

This is a cost reason as the Xenon headlight units cost a fortune and I'm not prepared to take the risk opening and then converting a set. Some units have been damaged during the the development which makes me even more wary of converting Xenons.

I have not seen what additional wiring is inside these units and don't know how they differ from the standard units, so could not say for sure if adapting the wiring to link in with our control units would cause any issues. I have not even managed to find a damaged unit from a breakers just to have a look.

The other issue is our control units are positioned where the Xenon units have the ballast, so again this throws up another issue that we would have over come.

As I said this was a spare time project that snowballed. Let's get the standard units finished and put through the last bit of R&D so the final tweaking can be sorted, then we can let them out to you guys.

Never say never and I'm not promising anything, but let's walk before we start running.

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #402 of 1445 Old 17-10-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quick refresher for those just joining the thread....

Project Halo started as a concept to integrate BMW Angel eye style DRLs into the 159/Brera/Spider triple headlight configuration. Initial development work was completed by myself & YonasH. YonasH pioneered the first sets of Halo's in a kit form that could be bought and installed as a DIY solution, however both of our efforts to disassemble the headlights resulted in failure or breakage and the only viable solution was to cut the lenses off, install the rings and glue the lenses back on.

As this was not a viable option, development ceased for around a year before starting up again after discussions with Coxy1 on headlight disassembly. Coxy1 was able to pioneer an approach the taking the headlights apart, but only if they were new ones where the glue had not yet had time to cure fully (several years of use on a car cures them fully!!)

Once this had been solved, I restarted development on the electronic controllers for the headlights to meet UK specifications and simplify the amount of electronics & wiring needed in comparison to the approach YonasH took.

Project Halo UK headlights are supplied as a set, with rings installed and working. All electronics and wiring for the DRL's is contained within the headlight and controller box (attached directly to the headlight underneath) The only additional wiring in the engine bay is power to the headlights from the PSU, which will be located somewhere near the battery, and switch wires attached to the engine fuse box (TBC).

This is what the headlights look like on the car:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And this is a description of there operation:

On start-up, they run Mode 1 once, then default to Mode 2 below:

Mode 1: Fade from 0% to 100% to 80% in sequence from Led 1 (inside) to Led 3 (outside)
Mode 2: Daytime operation – all Leds at 80%
Mode 3: Night operation – all Leds at 70%
Mode 4: Indicator Mode – Outer Led & inner Led rings at 70% - middle ring off
Mode 5: Main Beam - All rings at full power

Modes 3,4 & 5 are selected by +12v signal on each of the 3 inputs to the controllers. There is a 400ms delay after the indicator stops before the rings return to Mode 2,3 or 5. This is to allow the controllers to detect that the indicator has stopped flashing. I nay yet get that down to 250-300ms but any less and it doesn't work properly.

General Q&A

1) Will the headlights come with a warranty?
- We are looking into this, but as this project was only ever for ourselves, while we are happy to sell the units and cover our costs, we are not a commercial entity.

2) Will this be available in other countries
- We are focussed on the UK market for now, but once they are working well, we will consider supply to non UK markets.

3) Will this be available as a DIY kit to install in my existing headlights?
- Yes, but be warned, we have not successfully ever opened a headlight off a car without the use of a dremil to cut it open!

4) Will the units work with my factory fit Xenons?
- Technically, yes they will, but you would have to buy a DIY kit and set about your own 700 per headlight, headlights so I refer you to Q3 above!

5) Will these units work with after market HID kits, LEDs and other lighting mods?
- Yes they will. Both of the dev cars trialling the headlights have these mods and they work fine.

6) Will these units work with my automatic headlight feature?
- Yes, the switching between modes of operating is automatically controlled by the electronics inside the new headlights so it doesn't matter how they switch on and off.

7) How long will they last?
- The LED rings are quoted as having 20000 hours lifespan, but I can't vouch for that!! What I can say is we have done everything electrically viable to guarantee the LED's the most optimum / safe / stable conditions fully isolated and protected from the car's electronics system so they will last as long as they possibly could.

8) will they work with other vehicles?
- Technically the controller units can run 1, 2 or 3 rings each, so they could easily be adapted to be used in 147, 156, & GT's. We would just need to modify the code, and measure the headlights to get the right rings.

9) So how much?
- Price is TBC but around 450-500 for a full kit installed in two brand new headlights ready to fit for the 159/Brera/Spider. DIY kit price is TBC but obviously will be cheaper as it doest contain two brand new headlights!!

10) When can I buy them
- As much as Coxy and I would like to start letting you lot have them right now, its just too early to do so! A good man and technical advisor to the project always offers me the following sage advice.... Test, test, & test again! so you can have them when Coxy and I are 100% sure that they are bomb proof.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Nice update.

Might be worth updating the first post with the info?
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

Getting very excited about this

Was expecting price to be around 350 - 400, but I'm sure I can live with the little extra that's needed here (the wife might not be able to live with it though!)
(Post Link) post #405 of 1445 Old 17-10-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG View Post
Nice update.

Might be worth updating the first post with the info?
point well made.
AO Silver Member

Busy day today I've got them fitted back on the car and all wired up and they look stunning if I do say so myself.

Not managed to find a switched live under the bonnet at this moment that I'm happy to use but I'm still looking. As I already have a switched live coming from inside the car for my Water Methanol I have ran another wire in to the car to power the Halo's, I also fitted a switch and a in line fuse to give me flexibility and to add protection to the circuit.

The power feed is taken from the 12v cigarette lighter wiring by the handbrake which goes live once you put the key in the ignition and goes off once you take the key out. This works perfectly for what we are doing and will tie in brilliantly for the additional start up circuit which Jabba is working on.

Here's a few photos showing the Halo's in bright sunshine while I was fine tuning the wiring.

IMG_1184.jpg IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

On a less successful note I'm struggling to for fill your request of night time videos, all I get is no definition as the ring just wash in to each other. I even tried using my spare Oakley lenses taped to the front of my Gopro, this helped a little but obviously makes the colours all wrong.

So if any of you budding directors out there can offer any solutions to my dilemma to enable me to get some defined night videos of the headlight, I would be most grateful.

Last edited by coxy1; 20-10-13 at 01:40.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
As they are the same rings I used on a hyundai Coupe, I know how hard it is to get a night time picture as they are so dam bright if I remember rightly you have to take a picture angled from the side for a night time shot, and possible turn the exposure down on the camera, but then you don't get a true shot of what they look like at night.

For anyone getting these and are wondering what they look like in the dark, they look really smart
AO Member

County: Lancashire
This is the only picture I could find, but the exposure level is right down as you can tell from the level of brightness on the floor

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/8...a0be7b8f11.jpg
SAM_0203 by markyb1986, on Flickr
AO Member

County: Greater London
Is there a viable alternative to using the cigarette lighter feed? I dont trust myself taking apart the interior and would add a lot of time to the install....
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanocirillo View Post
Is there a viable alternative to using the cigarette lighter feed? I dont trust myself taking apart the interior and would add a lot of time to the install....
As I said I'm still looking.

Its really not that difficult to gain access to, this gave me the option to get them on the car so the final testing can be done.

One of the biggest issues is we all have different optional extras fitted to the cars which make finding one suitable switched live difficult.

Powering them directly from the side lights is the easy option and would work on every ones car. But as I said above I'm still looking for a supply under the bonnet.
AO Member

County: Copenhagen
I really hope you guys will do this for the rest of EU cars. OR inspire others to do the same.
(Post Link) post #412 of 1445 Old 29-10-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
IMG_20131029_103655_resize.jpg

Mini-Update

Well, I have had to make some changes to the controllers at a hardware and software level. One major change was a Software debounce feature on the indicator feed as it was being triggered by the HID's when you turned them on due to the major power fluctuations on the electrical circuits!! While I was at it, I added hardware debouncing on all the inputs and reverse voltage protection on the signal changing inputs.

These new dev sets also come with reprogramming fly leads that can be stored in the headlight and accessed for reprogramming as needed without the bumper coming off!

I'm dropping them off with Coxy tomorrow, and finally picking up my own set of headlights to put on the car.

NB - The final production versions will be fresh circuit boards with the design changes from development integrated in, rather than soldered in an ad-hoc manner as we go like theses sets
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

As you say, this is why you test!

Looking good.

Christmas is coming, funds will get directed to kids and overeating, so would help to know if we're looking at this year or next year?
(Post Link) post #414 of 1445 Old 29-10-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Next year for sure mate, no way we could conclude dev & test before xmas. Spend Christmas funds on the family, but if you get any money for xmas, it might be worth putting some away for a set

We are in no rush TBH as we want it right.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Next year for sure mate, no way we could conclude dev & test before xmas. Spend Christmas funds on the family, but if you get any money for xmas, it might be worth putting some away for a set

We are in no rush TBH as we want it right.
That's fine. Thanks. We're all in a rush, but also would prefer you got it right!
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Q4 Ti SW

Just seen this as I've been off here for a few months after someone ran into the back of my car but love these and definitely want a set when you are ready to start selling! Keep up the hard work!
(Post Link) post #417 of 1445 Old 17-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
How to power your Halo's

I was looking for a decent +12v switch near the front of the car (and with some help from Coxy) discovered that in the under bonnet fuse box, there is a spare relay socket. eLearn shows this as the relay that is used to power the headlight washers, and since the washers are usually only found on cars that are factory fit Xenons, this seems like a reasonably universal place to get power from.

Using a standard fused 12v relay (normally open). I took a switch feed from the empty relay socket using a male spade connector (5) and ran that to terminal 86 on the relay (3). Then I ran earth from the battery (2) to the relay terminal 85 (3). Now power could be fed from the battery positive (1) to the relay terminal 30 (3) and then from the relay terminal 87 (3) to the Halo PSU power input (4):

annotated power_resize.jpg

Once it was all wired up I simply wedged the relay and the power supply under / near some of the existing cables ready for my full install later this week.

20131117_144046_resize.jpg

My development set will be going onto the car later this week once a couple of niceties arrive from china
AO Silver Member

This development work never ends does it. Let me know how you get on with your niceties from China.

I thought that switched live in the fuse box would be useful to someone with more electrical knowledge than me and who knew how to utilise it. I still think this electrical stuff is the work of the devil.

Soon to be two in the UK then
(Post Link) post #419 of 1445 Old 27-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
It Lives!!!

Well I finally got my development set of Halo's on the car, and ooooo do they look mean on a black car!!!

Here you go:

20131127_112436_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20131127_112627.jpg
20131127_112454_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20131127_112612.jpg
20131127_112618.jpg

This picture shows the difference between a Halo headlight and a standard headlight. On the left we have 55w HIDs @ 6K + the Cree sidelights at 6/7K and a Phillips Nightbreaker @ about 4500K. On the right we have the same HID, The new style COB LED's I posted about in the LEDs thread and the new style 50w CREE 1800 Lumens LED H7's that have also been discussed in the LED thread. I think you can see the amazing difference!! - Before anyone asks, no a production set of Halo's will not include any bulbs, HIDs or LEDs but you can buy those off eBay and add them easily before you install into the car.

20131127_095401.jpg

Fitting was easier than I thought so will do up a guide at some stage to accompany the headlights for those that buy a set.

Now they are on, its time for testing!!!
AO Member

County: Copenhagen
I think I just wet my pants, looks awesome! hope to see a non-UK kit soon. Keep up the good work!
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

That is all

County: Groningen
Wauw! Very nice upgrade!
AO Member

County: Essex
Jay
Stunning ! I want to be near the top of the list when tested ! Especially as I'm not far away

Paul .
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
It Lives!!!

Well I finally got my development set of Halo's on the car, and ooooo do they look mean on a black car!!!

Here you go:

Attachment 248889 Attachment 248921
Attachment 248897 Attachment 248905
Attachment 248913

This picture shows the difference between a Halo headlight and a standard headlight. On the left we have 55w HIDs @ 6K + the Cree sidelights at 6/7K and a Phillips Nightbreaker @ about 4500K. On the right we have the same HID, The new style COB LED's I posted about in the LEDs thread and the new style 50w CREE 1800 Lumens LED H7's that have also been discussed in the LED thread. I think you can see the amazing difference!! - Before anyone asks, no a production set of Halo's will not include any bulbs, HIDs or LEDs but you can buy those off eBay and add them easily before you install into the car.

Attachment 248881

Fitting was easier than I thought so will do up a guide at some stage to accompany the headlights for those that buy a set.

Now they are on, its time for testing!!!
Ha-Ha !
Welcome to the club That makes two !

Told you fitting was easy and all very straight forward. Now stop staring at them and go out and test them.
Those LED main beams work really well, enjoy.
(Post Link) post #425 of 1445 Old 27-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Yeah I know! They have been out for a spin already and I will be out after dark for a play as well. They will get a good test on my Liverpool run tomorrow so no rush for me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 159 or brera or sprider , brera , drl , halo , leds , project , project halo , spider