brera or spider or something else?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

brera or spider or something else??

Hi all,

Right, I have a GT 1.9 JTDm (yes....that is right Squadrone Rosso, a diesel lump in a GT).

I currently average 700 - 750 miles per week. From Febreuary onwards, the journey will be cut to 150 miles per week - it will remain such for at least 4 years or so.

As such, I have the opportunity to buy something either a little bit crazy or something I have always wanted.

Currently, I am wondering if there is any point sticking with a diesel? The majority of the drive will be on dual carriageways and A roads and I think the mpg on the GT will drop significantly.

Currently, I have been looking at the Brera, the Spider and (I know it is blasphemous but I will say it anyway) some other brands not covered on the site.

I haven't owned a petrol in years and I am wondering what to look out for on the V6 variants of each of the above. Equally, how would the dieseil fair on the basis that I would only be doing 150 miles/week (pretty worried about the DPFs). What can i expect from the 3V6 in terms of problems, running costs (not really interested in fuel costs or tyres etc but, rather the more 'usual' V6 engine problems?

All help greatly received - and please go into details, I love this stuff.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

I have the 200bhp 2.4 in the Brera and it really is a cracking engine. Lots of low down grunt, and even sounds good under load (for a diesel, due in part to the 5th cylinder). With 150 miles p/w on motorways/A-roads, the DPF shouldn't be a problem. However, factor in approx 400-700 to get a remap, DPF removal and EGR delete, and you're onto a winner!

Having said all that, if fuel/tyre costs aren't an issue, 1st choice would have to be the V6! Though don't forget increases in tax/insurance etc. I'm sure someone with more knowledge/experience will be along shortly to enlighten you more on the petrol variants. Also don't completely rule out the 2.2.

Happy hunting!
AO Member
County: Greater London
+1 on the above! The 2.4 is a great engine. Not sure about it in a drop top spider tho. If you are looking at the convertible it has to be a petrol IMO. Going from the 1.9 GT to a 2.4 Brera will certainly put a smile on your face. If you are used to that turbo power delivery you may find the 2.2 lacking a little. I have no experience of the 1.8tbi but that may be an interesting option....
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
V6 Spider V6 Brera

With your mileage, go for it
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 18-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Thanks for your input chaps. With the remap - it is a big no no.

EGR delete - why bother? I presume it is as easy to remove and clean/refurbish the EGR on the 2.4 as it is on the 1.9?!?!?!

DPF is still a concern. I will be commuting into Birmingham and I very much doubt that I will be hitting more than 40 mph for more than 15 minutes per journey in and out - therefore for more than 30 mins per day!!! The car will not be used much at weekends - it's drinking time and the wife drives

How much is the tax on a 3.2? Please tell me all that you can about the 3.2 - treat me like a special person and tell me all - I have not owned a petrol for years - jeez I sound quite 'mature' I am only 30!!! Bearing in mind I will be covering myself for 14,000 miles per annum, how much can I expect to pay for insurance? (gonna do a prospective estimate on a comparison site and take 300 off - my current insurer always under cuts any comparison site by that much!!).

I would love to have a 3.0 GTV but it's the Q4 on a Brera that attracts me - although, I went to visit my sis today and I saw two of 3 of the other models I am considering besides an Alfa and I LOVED them...but who could walk away from an Alfa?!?!?

The plan is to change ALL of the suspension on the GT, keep it for 12 months and then change - although, I doubt I will be able to wait more than 6 months, if that!!!!!!!

Please do tell me all of the pitfalls, all of the positives and I would not be averse to being invited to drive one of your cars!!!!!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
You need to test drive a few cars, go and take for a test drive one of each of the following:

Brera 3.2 V6 Q4
Brera 3.2 S V6
156 GTA
GT 3.2

Let us know which you prefer, and enjoy yourself

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , spider