Face lift Spider? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Crazed Face lift Spider?

Seen quite a few mentions of 'face lift', later model, MY2008 and newer lighter model Spider/Brera.
I am assuming these are all the same and refer to one thing, namely a later upgrade from the original 2006 spec.
Is it worth paying the extra and getting the later model and indeed how do you tell if it is a later car?
Still can't decide between a 3.2 Q4, 2.2 JTS or a 2.4 JTDM though just that it will not be Veloces

Last edited by mustbuyaafla; 08-12-11 at 10:36.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

I have a 2007 Brera and my wife had a "facelift" 2008 Spider.

There's actually no visible facelift on the outside of the cars at all, though late 2008 cars got a new design for the seats. There is a bit of debate over which seat is better. I'd say the later seats look cooler but they do both look good. I'd say the earlier seats are comfier but the later seats are more supportive in the corners (but I would get a little uncomfortable in the later seats after about 20-30 mins).

Another difference is that the later cars are lighter by 20kgs, but I'm really not sure anyone could actually tell any difference.

Finally, earlier cars had an aluminium centre console which looks silvery, whilst the later cars got the exact same aluminium but finished in black. The original silvery console can theoretically shine sunlight into your eyes, but I've got that console and I've never had a problem in my Brera. Allegedly it could be more of an issue of a spider but to be honest I really don't think you're going to have much of an issue in the UK! I've had both types and personally I much prefer the look of the original silvery aluminium.

To complicate matters, the earlier cars actually had MORE real aluminium than the newer cars - namely the strips in the doors. These were replaced with shiny plastic for the later cars, which was a bit of a shame.

So in summary, there's really not much difference at all between original and "facelift" cars. No one can tell any difference from the outside, and even on the inside only a true Alfisti would know.

Brat Pack no.8
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Good summary.

I agree the newer seats do look a bit better and the older ones are comfier, but I wouldn't rule out an older one based on the look as they are fine too.

The extra aluminium in the older car is nicer, but also easy to damage, which I guess is a reason it was removed. Replacing a door strip because it had loads of dings in it when I got my car cost me nearly 100!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

face , lift , spider