Considering a 159 JTD... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Considering a 159 JTD...

Hello chaps,

I have come into some money (well redundancy actually) and, call me crazy, I'm looking to return to the Alfa fold having sold my 147 earlier in the year. I know people will say why on earth would you consider getting an Alfa, but the fact is my old 147 ran perfectly well for 4.5 years and never let me down. Only needed routine servicing/maintenance parts and tyres!

So..looking at a 159, have loved the styling from the moment it was revealed, has the best interior of any car I know. Got all the gadgets and the impression I get is that overall, it is even better-built than the 147/156 generation models.

Am I likely to encounter any major problems with a 1.9 JTDm? I have been looking at going diesel for the economy aspect, but is it actually worth it considering I am on a budget and looking at 100k+ mile examples? Would a JTS/MPI petrol version make more sense, although there are less of those around on my budget, given no DPF/EGR issues to worry about?

Would a properly serviced 159 JTDm run to a high mileage without any major issues? I appreciate the 159 has a lot more electronic goodies than my 147 did! Obviously if not already done, I would get all the belts/water pump done as a matter of course.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
(and sorry for the ramble!!)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Unless you're doing some serious miles (my own personal guide would be 20,000 a year or so) then IMO the petrol vs diesel debate shouldn't be ruled by economy. Rather, it should be what sort of engine best suits your driving style / wants. Yes the fuel economy is better, but the fuel is more expensive and over the longer term the running costs of a diesel are likely to be higher.
AO Member
County: -
get a 159, you won't regret it!

the twin spark engine i hear is quite good and if driven sensibly and maintained well could return good mpg's but diesel might be expensive to maintain, maybe higher mpg's. Any car that has a good FSH is good and diesel engines are quite durable, its just aspects concerning the drive train, suspension, bearings, bushes, etc you need to pay attention to. 50k - 60k is nothing. keep on top of maintenance and that will cost money same as any other car.

one i have returns a calculated 52mpg against the trip computer, so quite good.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

will be a 159

Telalfa, never apologise mate, i have never been into chat rooms blogs tweeting any of that crap but find myself utterly hooked on this site - really helped me with my decision to leap heart first into an alfa - life is too short to make the sensible choice all the time - listening to the head is often overated as it does not know what its on about half the time - the heart is always right.

Just started running in a 2.0 diesel 170 ti, spending half my time crusing other half tearing along and it drinks fuel - averaging around 36mpg so yeah, go for the petrol, much better units apparantly.

On balance though the 159 is great, lovely looking vehicle, not many on the road, a very spirited drive but you can tell its quite a heavy motor but highly rewarding for the committed driver. the diesel is a bit of a jackel & hyde quite slow really until you open it up and then your off - typical italian ! very different throttle set up to most diesels which does mean you can crusie gently...for about 5 mins before you boot it off down a country road again.

I have driven quite a few bavarians in my time and this feels every bit as well put together - very very rigid...get a ti mate, make yourself smile and get back out there and kick arse

Happy hunting
Check out the large number of buying threads already posted.

Don't rule out the 2.2 JTS Should be cheaper and less issues with DPF etc.
AO Member
County: -
Originally Posted by GDJE View Post
you can crusie gently...for about 5 mins before you boot it off down a country road again.
Done that many times lol !! i keep thinking No!!... i'm going to drive sensibly and get good mpg's hence why i bought a diesel but then i see a bend in the road and she really begs me to drive her really hard ! sometimes i do think i should have got a petrol and be a true petrolhead
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
I somehow don't think many people round here will call you crazy.

I owned a 159 Ti 1.9 JTD - lovely car. Frugal, smooth, good looking, great cabin and quite punchy after some Mangos fettling.

No experience with the 2.2 but have heard they lack punch in such a heavy car.
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 jtdm

Telalfa, I've just bought my first Alfa 159 jtdm in black (best colour IMHO) and I absolutely love it, feels so different to anything else I have driven you feel special bit wierd to explain but you do , interior is beautiful and I've gone for the alfatex seats and they are soooo comfy, mines a 57 plate with 81k, full Alfa history, 1 prev owner and it drives like it is new, buy one oh word of warning if you don't like being looked at don't buy a 159 as you DO get looked at a lot when your driving it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , jtd