Sticking valves - what are my options? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Sticking valves - what are my options?

Anyone familar with my recent posts will know that I have been having problems with my 2.4 159 juddering during regens to the point where the car is virtually undrivebale.

Anyway, on the fifth visit to Mangoletsi for the same problem they have finally 'diagnosed' the problem as sticky valves. Essentially - if I have understood them correctly - the valves have become coated in carbon and other crap that gets sticky during the regen process due to the high temps involved and therfore don't move properly (you will tell that I am no mechanic). The car drives normally when not regenning.

Sounds plausible enough, although I'm far from convinced they trully know what's wrong. The head technician that is now dealing with this did seem to know his stuff.

Anyway, I'm worried that my 4th year warranty wont cover the work needed - which they can only tell me will be upwards of 1,000 if the head needs to come off.

Therefore, as this is a problem that only manifests during a regen and I am planning to have the DPF and EGR delete done by Alfatune in the near future anyway, I was thinking of telling Mangos not to bother and take the car directly to Alfatune and 'save' myself some money.

What does anyone else think the best course of action could be? Would I be putting off bigger problems further down the line by not having the valves cleaned properly? I'm planning to keep the car for a further 4 years (unless I win the Euromillions tonight).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Flintshire
1000 to take head off and clean up valves seems well steep! go to an indie or alfatune I am sure they can sort this out Also consider running a decent fuel additive for a couple of tank fulls that should clear deposit build up on the inlet valves ! I find what they are saying very hard to believe as combustion temp should not go up that much during a regen only the DPF itself should get super hot not the engine inlet tract! I can smell bulls**t!

Alfatune seems way to go.

Gus has a great reputation.!

Mark flintshire.
AO Gold Member
In my case I got a new cylinder head as there is a modified valve stem and guide design - the new head has done as many miles as the old one and the problem didnt recur - on the original it was up the spout within 19,000 miles and was eventually swapped at 30,000 - now at 50,000 and no sign of trouble - you dont notice regens unless you watch the instruments.

In my case the car drove badly during and after regens - some timesfor hundreds of miles afterwards.

You could try an engine flush, Forte or similar, repeated times each with new oil, invest in a vacuum oil changer and DIY it.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Doubt any Alfa dealer will be the best option, whatever the prob is. An indy is more likely to sort it, and will cost less to boot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

options , sticking , valves