Taking a plunge on a 57 Reg 159 2.4 JTDM. Things / issues I should look for? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.2JTS

Taking a plunge on a 57 Reg 159 2.4 JTDM. Things / issues I should look for?

As per title, I have identified a nice 159, which I am seriously considering buying. It's the 2.4 JTDM, which is the same engine I had on my 156 and loved.

Are there any issues / potential problem areas that I should be specifically inspecting before buying the car? In other words, is this model prone to any issues / potential risks?

The car has 40,000 miles on the clock and a full service history.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Hi Front tyres wear fairly quickly, believe it to be an argument of settings for tracking between alfas choice and ATS choice of reality. The 159 drives nice if front suspension wishbones are good, steering is positive but light, engine unit has too many sensors and junk that can be potential pains later in life, the 2.4 doesnt growl out like the 156 does, because of the dpf filter and other bits, but then thats technology and progress and emmissions.Having dpf exhaust filter issues with mine at the moment, but alfas arent alone on these, the usual turbo oil leak signs are a must to observe before buy ( but the plastic belly pan can hide these) However, the boot space is good, the road noise is almost zero ( tyres dependant ) and the economy is marginally better. The interior is nice, drivers seat is OK for a 3 hr drive but no more, the footwells are more spacious, dump the radio get your Sony / Alpine etc in instead, and buy the adapter panel off ebay. If the 159 is getting on in miles , then adise to get fiatecuscan software and cable, as ( our ) 159 tends to present false alarms for this and that, but the laptop software resets them and that particular fault doesnt come back. Maybe this just our friday afternoon 159 !
But yeh, overall, the 159 is a nice drive, up with the times, got the alfa looks, but personally the 156 2.4 was more of an alfa than the 159. But thats my opinon, but dont let us put you off a 159 - The choice is yours, Andy
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 & C220CDI

I'd have the steering rack checked, also check that the rear sets recline as this was only available as an option on the Lusso. The 210bhp has better low down torque. Good luck!
AO Silver Member
On the lookout for one myself.

Alfa Romeo 159 Buyer's Guide

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , issues , jtdm , plunge , reg , taking , things