Just bought a Brera.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-09-11 Thread Starter
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Help Just bought a Brera..

Been lurking here for a while now but week finally took the plunge and bought a MY08 Brera last week. Since then I've started to notice a couple of little problems with the car; if anyone can advice as to what's causing the problems/how to solve/rough costs associated that'd be great.

1) Drivers side window doesn't drop immediately when trying to get out of the car. (It takes a few seconds and/or only works when you push the door quite firmly). Does anyone know when the window is meant to drop (is it triggered by the internal door handle or the door opening a little bit or what?) Worth noting - I've tried 'resetting' the windows following instructions that I read on here (key in ignition, drop drivers window and continue to hold button for 10s once it's down, repeat with passenger window, raise passenger window and continue to hold button for 10s one it's up, repeat with drivers window) but this doesn't seem to have helped.. or I did it wrong - there were no beeps or messages or anything to indicate success. Also worth noting, the passenger window takes a few seconds longer to drop than the drivers window if I lower them at the same time.

2) The light in the drivers side sun visor doesn't work - this visor is new (the car was missing it before I bought it) so could this be a fuse (probably unrealistically hopeful)? Or is it more likely to be a broken wire internally? The other lights seem to work.

3) Occasionally there's a slight grinding noise/feedback from the steering wheel. I've no idea on this.. pretty sure it wasn't there when I test drove the car.

The car came from an independent dealer so comes with 3 months warranty - obviously I'm keen to get whatever I can fixed!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Hello and welcome.

Not sure how much help I can offer but here goes.

1. My window drops immediately. If opening the doors with the fob it drops as soon as the doors are unlocked otherwise it does it as soon as either the inside or outside handle is pulled.

2. No idea, I couldn't actually tell you if mine is illuminated as i haven't used it If it has just been fitted though it would be worth finding out whether it has actually been wired to anything.

3. Having read a few threads on here there seems to be issues with the power steering which may be connected with the noises you are experiencing. It may be worth searching them out and having a read.

Most importantly, where are the pictures?
1) Sounds like a faulty window controller.

2) You could drop the visor and check the connector
is properly attached.

3) Sounds like the steering rack which is prone to
premature failure. Check out the existing threads through the thread search.

AR only sell the whole rack, but normally it's just the trackrod ends
that need replacing.

Enjoy the Brera, apart from these little niggles there's not
much that's been reported.

Which engine is it?

AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Windows are supposed to drop about half an inch whenever the doors are opened from inside or outside ..

Had a simalar problem as you with the windows after the car came back from repair ...dealer said that the windows needed 'resetting' as something was disconected when the repair was done...

took it in again and after 'reset' no problems ..

perhaps points 1 and 2 are related and need a reset or someone to check wiring to the visor is correct ??

Point 3 ...sorry no idea , But as the car has warrenty Id get bit in asap

Ignore the niggles and enjoy the car !
AO Silver Member
I'm not sure you're doing the window reset right. Only do one window at a time. If I understand it correctly, the regulators for each window are independent, i.e. right and left have nothing to do with each other.

Put drivers window down and hold down button down for 10 secs. Then drivers window up and hold button up for 10 secs. That should reset it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

bought , brera