Brera third brake light - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

I agree with R50 MEO, you definitely need courage. It's a horrible job!

I used a bread knife, was really worried I was doing some permanent damage, couldn't see what I was doing at all but the grommet was quite thick and there was LOADS of sealant. It took ages.

I think the grommet was close to the middle but maybe slightly off centre

good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Dorset

Member car:

Brera 2.4jtdm

Ok cheers for the help guys, might be one for the garage I'm terrified of breaking the spoiler!
(Post Link) post #28 of 37 Old 25-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynemoo View Post
Ok cheers for the help guys, might be one for the garage I'm terrified of breaking the spoiler!
My experience is that they are more likely to break it than a caring owner.

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50 MEO View Post
My experience is that they are more likely to break it than a caring owner.
Surely then it would be there problem to rectify it wouldn't it??
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
Body shop had a hell of a time getting the one off my old Brera to spray
it the same colour as the car....
AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

So, knives, screwdrivers, hacksaws and courage to fix a brake light. Good old Alfa I think old ten thumbs here will be asking his mechanic would he like some easy money
AO Member

County: Berkshire
My brake light isn't working either - am I right in reading then that you can't even get to both ends of the connectors without taking the spoiler off??

It might stay 'disconnected' if that's the case
AO Member

County: -kent
Don't give up its really quite easy best if someone can help you remove spoiler safely.As to the connection its the'dry climate' type ie no good where it rains, so on refitting and dabbling with connector ,after testing that it works,it's best to introduce copious amounts of aquarium seal type mastic to keep the water away forevvvvvver!!!Carefully put spoiler back on ensuring ,before you tighten it that the top lip doesn't catch roof,it is adjustable .Also be careful you don't scratch roof as spoiler has two bolts attached to it for locating holes in hatch.:
AO Member

Garage
Has anyone got any other tips on removing the spoiler? I've spent the last 2 hours trying to get it off with no luck.

I've removed the 4 nuts, pulled through the grumet where the wire and washer pipe goes, but it is stuck. Seems to have been 'glued' around the area of the gromet.

I don't see how anyone has managed to cut the mastic with a knife, blade or wire, as i can't prise the spoiler up enough to see the mastic.

When pulling at the spoiler i can see it deflecting, and i'm sure if a pull ut and harder its going to split the plastic

Any ideas?
AO Member

Garage
Ok well it's off.

Ended up using a knife to cut the crappy glue, but unfortunately I cut half the wire and nipped the window washer fluid pipe too.

I'm supprised at how small the blob of glue is, feels far more substacial when poking around it and trying to pull the spoiler off!

It has litterally taken me from 11 this morning until 5, just to get the damn spoiler off.

And by the looks of it, the rubber gromit does't get seated right from factory, so i bet the mastic is a factory fix from a pre-production model, problem.

I have to fix the wire and hose, then I'll check the cause of the light not working and refit.

If i can i'll try to take some pictures and put a step by step guide to help anyone else having this issue, there's a lot of good information here, but put together in a guide with pictures should make the job 10x easier for anyone doing the same task.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera 2.2 Misano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
If i can i'll try to take some pictures and put a step by step guide to help anyone else having this issue, there's a lot of good information here, but put together in a guide with pictures should make the job 10x easier for anyone doing the same task.
please do
AO Member

Removing the rear spoiler is pretty low tech, a bit of trim and just four bolts. Literally no more than a five minute job.

The real problem is releasing the factory applied blob of sealant, something I first discovered four or five years ago when I first removed my spoiler. Afraid that no amount of pictures will be able to convey the force, care and perseverance this job requires. I think I explained in my original post how this could be done with CAREFUL use of a hacksaw blade.

As an aside, when I refitted my spoiler I did not use any sealant, just made sure the rubber grommet was fitted correctly, and there seem to be no leaks.

Have had the spoiler off since each time just taking minutes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brake , brera , light

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page