1.9 v 2.0 diesel 159 SW - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
1.9 v 2.0 diesel 159 SW

Looking to get a 159 Ti Sportwagon and had decided on the 2.0 diesel that came out in mid 2009.
Wife test drove a demo car the other day and loved it - forgot it was a diesel it was so quiet she tells me.
However, there are almost none around and I'm now wondering whether a 1.9 might be worth a look as there are more about.
Can anyone tell me how different they are to drive (are the 2 litres really quieter and smoother), are they any more economic in reality and should I hold out for the newer engine?
Just to add, there doesn't seem to be any difference in price from what I've seen so far when comparing cars of same age, mileage etc.

Many thanks.

Had 2 156s in the past and there really is nothing like an Alfa. They look fantastic and just feel special. My wife thinks it's her car but I'm sure I will get a fair share behind the wheel.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
You'd find that the 1.9 does feel like a "Diesel" it is less refined and needs to be pushed to get its best. In saying that though, it feels quicker then the figures suggest and is still a good drive. Run a search through the tech. lounge beacuse comparisons between the various engines have been made

I wouldn't know about the 2.0 as Australia never received them in the 159. Apparently it will only be available in the Giulietta in Jan 2012.

My advice is try a 1.9 and 2.0 then make up your mind. I wouldn't be too worried about parts both are fairly easy to obtain.

Have you considered the 2.4?

Salute, Giordano.

"Alfa Romeo is something special. It occupies a place apart. It is a kind of disease, this passion for a means of transport, a very special way of thinking about a powered vehicle..... It's to do with feelings and passions, things that have more to do with the heart than the brain."

Orazio Satta, Technical Director, Alfa Romeo- 1962

The Romance of Performance
Cuore Sportivo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , diesel