Advise on buying? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-09-11 Thread Starter
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

alfa 147

Advise on buying?

Evening All!

So the bond between my trusty TS 147 and i is coming to an end as i have falen in love with the Brera. Have you ever had a feeing about a car that you will sell vital organs to purchase it sooner.

Im looking at spending no more than 10k and would prefer the diesel (im not buying for performance its that gorgeous body im after)

HOWEVER - this will be the first time ive bothered to spend anything more than 4 k on a car so was wondering if anyone can give a few tips on what to look out for when viewing, I appreciate (and learnt with the 147) the niggles is part of ownership but i worry about the stories of breras spending more time in garages than on the road!

any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

Brera JTDm 210

You'll be looking at an older car. You need a FSH, looking particularly for evidence the timing belt and water pump have been done at the right time, preferably shortly before your purchase. Decent tyres are 150-200 per corner depending on size, so make sure they are up to standard.

You should be able to find a driver's manual online -

Owner Handbook Alfa 177 - BRERA/SPIDER English

I would have a good read - make sure you're looking at the manual for the model year you're interested in - and make sure that the car you're looking at matches expectations. In particular, make certain all the toys and buttons (roof blind, climate control, boot badge button if it's got one, etc.) work because these little things are very expensive and frustrating to fix.

Listen out for grumbles or other noises on the test drive. With windows up it should be very quiet unless you're accelerating hard. With the windows down you might get a bit of clatter under acceleration - this is the injectors and is normal.

Last edited by dastocks; 17-09-11 at 22:09.
AO Member
I went from a 147 2.0 Lusso to a Brera 2.4 SV.
Great improvement, you will not be disappointed.
Make sure you get the SV version, well worth it.
Tyre WILL last longer than the 147. I pay about 70 per corner for budget ones and get about 17k out of them, compared to about 8k on the 147.
any questions please ask.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

advise , buying