does anyone else have a 159 1.9JTDm with out swirlvalves? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Norfolk
The plastic manifold, I got it for 60 new off ebay, some guy had 5 needless to say they didn't last long or where he got them is anyone's guess.

I know nothing about the 2.0jtdm, never pulled one apart.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
no reason the manifold from a giulietta wouldn't fit, this would be an excellent way to get rid of the swirl flaps. connect the actuator up and let it swirl nothing...
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Mine has the plastic type manifold with the hidden swirl flap mechanism. Does anyone know if these are less prone to the swirl flap problems afflicting the earlier type.of manifold?
County: KwaZulu-Natal
Hi, can anyone help, i have a Romeo 159 1.9 Jts 2006 and the upper chain, gears, guides needs to be changed. The quote i have is a total of R 28 000. Is there anyway i can have the parts at a cheaper price anywhere. Or will it be better to just import a new engine.
AO Member
County: hampshire
Also have the black plastic manifold and am slightly concerned regarding the metal swirl flaps breaking off and being mashed by a piston.
My car is in very good health atm, new belts pulleys, new gearbox dmf, clutch, blanked egr deleted on system.
Full service and goes like stink.
Can the flaps be set/ locked in the open position electrically and then deleted from the computer, rather than remove the manifold and manually / physically remove the flaps?
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross
I was wondering much the same thing myself. I am about to replace the timing belt and water pump soon so i may go the extra mile and remove the fuel pump and take the inlet manifold off for inspection. I was hoping that the later manifold didn't have the swirl flap problem but can't find anything definitive.
AO Member
County: -
Both have problems, newer plastic one maybe just a little less and with flaps only.
On the old one it starts to leak boost pressure too.
So in both cases, If there is any option on getting them removed than do it... you never know
No need to turn them off in ecu when removed.
If you only turn them off in ecu, they dont move anymore but there is still some vibrations in intake and there is still some small possibility that they break and fall in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19jtdm , jtdm16v , multiject , swirlvalves