Considering buying.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Help Considering buying....

...a used Brera (2.2JTS), and have one in mind, BUT -
They've lost the service book. I've been provided with contact details for two garages, one which did a full service at around 47k miles and (on a separate occasion) changed some tyres (53k) and one which did 'Major engine work', which was due to a lose timing chain, and consisted of replacing said timing chain and the engine valves. This work was done at 48k and the car has done about 10k since then.

So, the question... should I walk away (given that there's no service book) or view the fact that it's had the timing chain replaced as a positive (I've read that this can help with any hesitation issues which I didn't notice when I test drove the car, but I didn't spend much time in low revs/gears) and isn't a cheap job.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
it's always going to be a risk with out service history, but at least you got some information about the car.

I would go on gut instinct on this..
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
If you do go for it you can get hold of empty service books. Take it to the garages mentioned and get them to stamp it.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

If the work was done by Alfa dealers they'd not have records of what was done on computerised records and can print them off?
Graham P
Unless it was very cheap I personally wouldn;t buy a new-ish car without service history. There's another 47k pre the ones you have mentioned unaccounted for. It's probably all ok but still could be a risk
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

As Graham P says, other Breras are available and unless the price reflects the 'mislaid' service history aren't you going to have the same problem when you come to sell it unless you keep it for years.

It's being sold by a trader or a private individual?

I think most people would have the same reservations about any car of that age and value that didn't come with documentation to prove the mileage and service history.
AO Silver Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

There would need to be a big discount on offer to go for a car that has needed this type of work done with no history.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider