Front upper Strut Brace 159 odd fit ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 1.9 JTD SW

Well Happy Front upper Strut Brace 159 odd fit ??

Hi All

Just fitted an original front upper strut brace to my 159 SW.
I know it probably wasnt needed or may make little difference compared to the effects it had on the sloppy 156 but I got a good deal and its pretty simple to fit.

One query I had was on the left hand side (drivers side)... which bolt have people fitted it too? The instructions ( well they are a series of pictures) state fitting it to the back left turret bolt which I have done but the brace is now at an angle across the engine bay and not parallel with the block. It fits ok and everything has tightened up fine but is this correct?

I have to say it looks a bit strange but then you dont drive with the bonnet open!

I have seen pictures where it appears to be attached to the front left turret bolt. I think there's enough play on the adjuster bolt to do this but not sure if this will then fowl the engine cover? or if it was just photographed like that to look good from a marketing point of view?
It was simple on the 156 only one place it could go.
Any help or past experience of fitting this would be gratefully received.
PS. Going into Adie next week for the full treatment so could probably ask him about the brace but cant wait for that dreaded DPF to be gone.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
I think you'll find that you have it right (with an indirect route). It's really only a styling addition; not just because it's not taking the stresses in a straight line; more because the 159 is very stiff.

One of the reasons that the 159 is not very succesful for Alfa is the cost of this very stiff body. It uses different types of steel and varying thicknesses to counter torsional movement. It might have been more economical if GM had used it but for us it's now the bargain of the industry.
AO Member
County: Devon
Re Strut Brace

The OEM Alfa Romeo Strut Brace does fit at an angle across the engine.
Hence there are two kinks in the Strut Brace to avoid other auxillary components.
I fitted one to my 159 Sportswagon some time back- very easy following the clear visual instructions supplied, you shouldn't go wrong.
No need to over tighten the centre nut/thread- use only 25nm as specified.

Last edited by david44; 23-08-11 at 23:37.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , brace , fit , front , odd , strut , upper