Steering Lock - What's the Fix? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Steering Lock - What's the Fix?

As noted by some other posters I have the warning "Vehicle Protection System Unavailable" about 5 seconds after removing the key.

It's the Steering Lock not engaging. Does anybody know what the fix is? Is it a new steering lock or an electronic failure?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Mine did not work for about 4 weeks so I threatened a trip to the dealer. On the morning of the dealer investigation it started to work again and has worked ever since (more than one year). Not much help I know but I'm thinking that the mechanism must stick somehow and once freed it seems to work OK so more of a mechanical problem.
AO Gold Member
Just like you had to do withmechanical steering locks, sometimes a little bit of pressure on the wheel as you remove the key makes it engage.

The solenoid is replaceble
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 19-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
It sounds like the Dealer is ordering the Solenoid.

I have tried moving the steering wheel, a different key and heavy banging of the casing. It doesn't show up on the examiner but I did wonder if a battery disconnect was needed to unscramble the brain. I can't work out how it knows the steering lock is not firing and needs to put up the message. If it is purely mechanical you would think the system would fire the solenoid and not know that the plunger is not in the groove. But an electronic failure could be programmed to put up the message.

County: Queensland

Member car:

159 JTDm 2.4l

Steering Wheel lock

This happened to my 159 a year or so ago and I managed to get the lock mechanism off and took it apart, put it back together and it worked. This is not a job for the faint hearted, removing shear bolts is not easy, or the one way screws on the lock. It just happened again so this time after removing the key, I tapped the lock with a rubber hammer for several seconds, and after the second time the mechanism began working again. A much simpler fix .... if it works.
AO Member
County: Norrbotten
I get this problem if I accidental push the key halfway back in when I'm about to remove it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

fix , lock , steering