poor mpg from 159 1.9JTDm? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 07-08-11 Thread Starter
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

poor mpg from 159 1.9JTDm?

well ive had my 159 for a few weeks now, and i love it. its a 2008 1.9JTDm with 80K on the clock.

my only disapointment is the Mpg is a bit lower than expected, as im only getting an average of 39.9.

this is on a 35 mile commute (each way) of mainly A roads/DC and a couple of miles of town.

i have been trying really hard to be as economical with my driving as possible, but i can't get it any higher.

i was hoping to get mid-high 40's.

one other thing, im getting a slight judder on partial throttle at slower speeds (20-40 mph), could this be the EGR valve needs cleaning out? and will this improve the MPG?

any ideas? and what sort of MPG should i be able to get?

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1398
the norm seems to be low to mid 40's so you're not far off. A good clean of the egr wont do any harm and may give a slight increase in mpg. You can pick up a new one from flea bay for around £80.

I was getting late 30's until i realised I had sticking rear calipers! New pads and discs saw an increase in mpg

The judder could be the egr.... i had to install restrictive gaskets both sides of my egr which has almost eliminated the low rpm judder. Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem on the jtdms and most related to the egr.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa 159 jtdm

av had my DPF removed and a remap, and when i had remap, i got the EGR deleted threw the ECU. on average i get around 125 miles to £20.00 off fuel a day and that town to town driving only. uv got sumat to work off now, and i belive if i did drive on a A ROAD ad get better fuel consumption
AO Member
County: Somerset
Had mine for a couple of months now so starting to get a feel for mpg. My Fuelly average is 39.0 and I put that down to my measley 5 mile round trip journey to work. I filled up in the Midlands the other day and driving around 120 miles on motorway only at around 75-80 returned me 47mpg according to the trip computer (which seems remarkably accurate compared to my old 156.) By the time I filled up again doing mainly journeys to work plus a few trips of 20 miles or thereabouts, the average for that tank had gone down to 41.2 so managed to break through the 40mpg barrier for a tank.

It's definitely quite a bit worse than the 156 was though which is disappointing seeing that it's the same engine (I know it's a heavy car in comparison) Seems incredible that a DPF that allows the car to meet Euro 5 spec actually decreases efficiency.

May have to think about DPF/EGR removal although I think I'd need to do a lot of miles to make that a commercially viable proposition.
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

159 1.9JTDm Ti

Only got my 159 at the weekend, its is also a 1.9jtdm, its reading 40.1mpg at the min, only drove about 200 miles in it. I'm happy with the mpg at the min, although i'm coming from driving a Civic TypeR, so it always was going to be an improvement.

Going to look into this DPF/EGR removal, remap soon i think.
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Have my 159 1.9 Diesel 120Bhp Sportwagon since Feb 2011. Having come from 2 GT's it was (and still is) a bit of a change! Lower power and heavier car takes a lot of getting used to!

I've averaged 42 mpg over 10,500 miles since the middle of June (fuelly.com). Mostly motorway driving in economy mode with cruise set at 70 mph. So it's boring driving and would expect better fuel economy. I don't have any mods, and will be moving to something more economical in the next few months.
AO Member
County: Westmeath
Got 45mpg average over a 53mile journey yesterday, driving mostly at about 55mph. Im happy with that.
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

39.9mpg, count yourself lucky

Currently averaging (last 2000) miles 33.4 mpg, and that's better than the last 2000 miles, which was less than 33
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Check out my stats by clicking on the fuelly banner below.

Best I ever had was 48mpg on a run at a constant 65mpg from the Midlands to Whitby.

I get about 39.9 day to day.

Oh, also avoid filling up at "Jet" filling stations. My mpg seems to plummet after filling up there. The fuel is usually the cheapest in town but I have a feeling you never quite get a full litre of fuel for each one indicated on the pump. Totally unfounded of course but I just have my suspicions (I can't spell suspicions but the way).

AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
averaging 45.5 on my 36 mile round trip, mostly a roads at 40-50mph with a few 30 zones. I tend to use c/c a lot (esp in 30s as there are increasingly more and more speed traps these days) and shift up at 2500 max. listening to radio 2 helps...
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

As others have said, driving slowly is the key.... I did a 180 trip to south wales at the weekend and got 58 MPG driving down there at just below 60. Almost fell asleep mind it was that boring! I couldn't stand going that slow all the time but I did it out of interest to see what it could do.

Up until I got off the motorway it was actually reading 63 MPG!

I usually average 48 but this is almost all long distance driving at a steady 70 with the cruise on. The computer on mine is actually pretty accurate and never more than 1mpg out when calculating the true reading brim to brim. Can't grumble as this appears to be better than most on here!

It is an 06 model with 60k on the clock.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19jtdm , mpg , poor