159's boring engine note! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-11 Thread Starter
County: Wellington
Well Happy 159's boring engine note!

I have happily owned a 2.5 litre V6 156 Q-shift for the last couple of years. Having now clocked up 125,000 ks on the old girl, it was time to upgrade. The 156 has a wonderful engine growl and to be honest this was one of the reasons i bought it in the first place!

I've always lusted after a 159 so purchased a 2.2 6 speed manual. Whilst very happy with this beautiful car, the classic engine note that the 156 and predecessors had, has vanished. The 159 has all the excitement and engine note of a...Toyota Corolla. I understand that certain muffler/exhausts can be purchased to rectify this sad situation. Anyone modified their exhaust to try and obtain the classic Alfa sound? If so, did it work?

New Zealand
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
You're never going to replicate the V6 growl with the 4 cylinder 2.2, but there are plenty of different exhausts around to give it a more sporty note. Have a browse on YouTube if you want to get an idea of the different sounds. Just be glad you haven't got the diesel - not much I can do with mine (although the 5 cylinder does make a reasonably satisfying noise).
AO Silver Member
County: Essex
yes ditto Broggers, and check out "Commanderfish's" Vortex system, make a nice sound and gained some hp too, I'm sure they can make a system for the 159 easily.
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire
You could revert back to childhood and make the growl noise yourself, provided you were alone in the car, a cheap alternative to spending money just for a noise
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Originally Posted by Scabies View Post
You could revert back to childhood and make the growl noise yourself, provided you were alone in the car, a cheap alternative to spending money just for a noise
Why just alone in the car?? Your passengers won't mind, and you could encourage them to join in!
AO Gold Member
County: -
I jumped from a 156 2.5 V6 to a 2.2 159 also, so I know what you mean and I really miss my 156, engine was just a peach!

But when i purchased the 159, i did expect it to have less grunt and sound etc, but it doesn't in no way sound bad, sounds quite nice actually for a 4 pot
AO Silver Member
Well you are going from V6 to 4 cyl, but there is a lovely growl from that 2.2 that just needs to be unleashed. As said above, consider replacing the exhaust (from the cat converter all the way back to the exhaust tips) with a bespoke stainless, more free flowing system.

Also consider induction change for a pleasant, sensible (not silly) level of roar. I've had no less than 4 different sets of induction on my 2.2 and am very happy with the sound and performance from my current set up - a 76mm internal diameter K&N:
K&N Filters Universal Round Tapered Air Filter | Universal Clamp On Filters | Air Filters & Accessories | Motorsport Shop | Demon Tweeks

I used a 76mm Alloy joiner pipe to fit this (although I'm sure someone on here has fitted the 76mm cone filter using a 70mm joiner pipe too): Samco Alloy Hose Joiner | Samco Hose Joiners | Samco Silicone Hoses & Accessories | Samco | Brands | Motorsport Shop | Demon Tweeks

I've found that the 2.2 is very happy with this particular induction set up. You need to take the old air box out, which may involve taking off the front bumper (or get a friendly local mechanic to do this). Fitting the new induction is easy - front right wheel off, undo the front half of the wheel arch lining, and you can see where to attach the air box - I've put a post on here somewhere...

Brat Pack no.8
AO Member
County: West Midlands
My 2.2JTS definitely sounded better than the TBi I now have.

However, it seems to be getting better with more miles on it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , boring , engine , note