159 DPF questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
159 DPF questions

Hi chaps,

Can anyone explain to me what I'm looking out for when a regen is required please? Is there a light on the dash that comes up and how do I know how long to run the regen for and what do I need to do? I've heard that you sometimes need to leave it running at tickover for up to 20 minutes if its really dirty and sometimes it needs to be held at certain revs but how do I know what to do?
All very simple questions I know but it's something my dealer never explained to me at the handover process.

Sponsored Links
Oh and another thing - how does the removal of the DPF work? surely when the car comes to its MOT it will fail due to the increased level of emissions? How does the ECU cope with the removal of it?? Does the EGR get blanked off/removed too??
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
normally you wont notice any difference in driving perfomance when a regen takes place. There is no dash indication, the only way to reliably know is by having the current mpg displaying, it will take a sharp drop when a regen is underway (my 1.9 goes from average 35-45 down to around 20 mpg when it regens in normal driving i.e. during normal cruising)
if you do notice it is regening and you are at the end of your journey then i guess i would probably drive around the block for a few minutes until it was finished - usually seems to go for 5-10 mins max.
I can honestly say (touch wood) in 11k miles i've never had a dpf issue or really noticed it other than the mpg indication.
For the remap i believe they ensure that at the point in the rpm range where the emissions is tested it runs sufficently clean to pass. There is a remap that disables the sensors for it and also for the egr which is switched off closed so no errors are triggered. Wish i had £700 spare to do it.
Ahhh thanks! - does the regen make that throaty sound? The first time I picked the car up it sounded like I had some sort of sports exhaust!!!
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
AlfaTune/AHM do a DPF removal & EGR delete that will pass MOT without any problems.
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
What cambio said as regards the dpf regen, and as you mentioned the exhaust note is 'sportier' If you get out of the car during a regen the exhaust will be red hot and you will notice the smell of burning.

Having said that (unless it hasn't happened on mine yet) I do not notice the regens on the 2.0 JTDm as I did on the 1.9 and 2.4 I previously owned.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , dpf , questions