LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: Twin 40's braaaaap
AO Member
 
karlssondesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Thanks for the input and advice As you seem to "know your shi2" can you suggest any good options / sources etc for LEDs for our cars then?

We are all in the trial and error game at the minute, and despite it being a pointless expense for some, overall others will benefit from our mistakes so I don't see it as entirely fruitless. Isnt that what these forums are all about?
Your spot on, thats what these forums are for when the manufacturers dont give us proper data or specs upon which we can make educated and informed decisions upon.

So untill they do, its down to those willing to go through the expense and pain of trial and error.

Theres one led lamp company I know of that might give relevant data, il have a look to see if they do.
karlssondesign is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Can't get into the interior light cluster!
AO Member
 
The_Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 963
Images: 38
I've confused myself now I think! Those are the ones I purchased, in hindsight now in error. Yet they are working just fine! I'm just waiting for it to get dark now to see how much better they are.
The_Abyss is offline  
Status: Can't get into the interior light cluster!
AO Member
 
The_Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 963
Images: 38
So, probably the final update for a while unless I go back for the interior lights and / or the number plate:

After having driven now at night, the HID are a big improvement. 6000K is as blue as I personally want my whiteness to be, but you can see that the LED sidelights are even more blue in comparison - must be approaching 8000K.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/...ee1c069e_b.jpg
IMG_8997 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Taking some care putting them in and aligning them well (I don't think you can go too wrong here) seems to have paid off as they are well leveled.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/...0d04c3c8_b.jpg
IMG_8998 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Whilst it was dark I thought I'd also snap a quick shot of the LED door sill lights which really so make a big difference.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6065/...d821b16b_b.jpg
IMG_9007 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr
The_Abyss is offline  
(Post Link) post #104 of 821 Old 03-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Abyss View Post
So, probably the final update for a while unless I go back for the interior lights and / or the number plate:

After having driven now at night, the HID are a big improvement. 6000K is as blue as I personally want my whiteness to be, but you can see that the LED sidelights are even more blue in comparison - must be approaching 8000K.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/...ee1c069e_b.jpg
IMG_8997 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Taking some care putting them in and aligning them well (I don't think you can go too wrong here) seems to have paid off as they are well leveled.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/...0d04c3c8_b.jpg
IMG_8998 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Whilst it was dark I thought I'd also snap a quick shot of the LED door sill lights which really so make a big difference.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6065/...d821b16b_b.jpg
IMG_9007 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr
looking good mate! the hids make it way better at night
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Enjoying my Alfa
AO Silver Member
 
sargent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 1,309

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

Interesting thread, thanks for contributing.

I have LEDs on my numberplate, and they really are a nice touch.

Not planning to do much more - but could someone tell me the LED bulbs i need for the BOTTOM of the DOORS, and the SIDELIGHTS?

Many Thanks!
sargent is offline  
Status: Leg fixed - back in the drivers seat!
AO Member
 
Maximus84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 973

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargent View Post
Interesting thread, thanks for contributing.

I have LEDs on my numberplate, and they really are a nice touch.

Not planning to do much more - but could someone tell me the LED bulbs i need for the BOTTOM of the DOORS, and the SIDELIGHTS?

Many Thanks!
I currently have these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-T10-W5W-...d=262444242626) fitted in the sidelights. They look ok at night, reasonably bright, but non-existent during the daytime (should you wish to use as 'DRL's')

I have now ordered these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2707919539...#ht_2110wt_900) as they seem to be brighter and utilise the reflectors well - JabawokJay has fitted these and they seem to do the trick!

The ones on the first link are apparently fine for puddle lights and map-reading lights - I'll probably fit them into either/or ones the new ones arrive!
Maximus84 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norway
County: Nord-Trøndelag
Posts: 35
Images: 17

Member car:

AR 159 TI

Hi, I'm looking for round LED DRLs that can replace the foglights that are one the car today. I never use the fog lights and would much rather have the advantage of having the proper DRLs on my 159 TI.

Does anyone know about the round DRL can be used?

The DRLs (?) from this japanese accessories brochure is what I'm looking for.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...brera-leds.jpg

Last edited by emerto; 05-09-11 at 19:00.
emerto is offline  
Status: Bavarian
Admin Team
 
bobda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
County: -
Posts: 15,247
Images: 13

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlssondesign View Post
Guys, word of advice from someone who is an LED specialist in lighting;

The quantity of LEDs is irrelivant - different LED manufacturers have different luminous outputs.

the wattage of the LED unit is irrelivant - wattage is a measure of power consumption, not light emitted. A bad LED might have a lower lumen per watt efficacy eg 10lumens for 1 watt, vs a good one at 100 lumens for 1 watt. As the power consumption of lighting on a car is not an issue (unlike your home etc...) the low power of an LED is a pointless exercise.

The light beam spread must be close to a conventional lamp, as the reflector housing has been designed around the centre point of the origenal lamp. An LED alternative cannot match this, so the refelctor will not be as efficient, so will loose levels of efficiency - eg the LED version will need to generaly need to output more lumens than an conventional lamp, just to achieve the same percieved output on the outside of the car (known as the luminaire lumens).

Colour temperature - Cheap LED manufacturers may not have tight tolerence control of their LEDs, so one light might appear a slightly differennt colour to the other (Hella had this issue on the recent A4's headlights).

So unless you are doing this for the following reasons, its going to be a case of trial and error & pointless expense in swapping over to LED lamps;
Improve drivers reaction time behind you.
match sidelights to Xenon colour temperature
your vain & doing this for no other reason than to............

I know my when it comes to LEDs & lighting. The majority of suppliers on ebay etc... dont provide you with enough information to be able to make qualified decisions as to wether these will be truly suitable.

But if you insist on doing this, go to lucus or some such website, find out the Lamp lumen output of the patrticular lamp you are looking to replace, & make sure that the LED lamp you are buying at the very least states the lumen output, (which would need to be 10-20% more than a lucas lamp, to ensure the reflector losses are allowed for.

Thats my 2 penith worth.
Very good advice. The notes regarding LED wattage versus light output is particuarly important as LEDs are uber efficient and the basis for determining a good LED array should not be based on this.
bobda is offline  
(Post Link) post #109 of 821 Old 05-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerto View Post
Hi, I'm looking for round LED DRLs that can replace the foglights that are one the car today. I never use the fog lights and would much rather have the advantage of having the proper DRLs on my 159 TI.

Does anyone know about the round DRL can be used?

The DRLs (?) from this japanese accessories brochure is what I'm looking for.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...brera-leds.jpg
Interesting find! Ididnt know they existed. No ideas where you mightget some but if you find a supplier let us know. One point of noteto consider / check would be whether swapping fogs for DRLs would make it fail its MOT? Anyone know the law on this point?
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norway
County: Nord-Trøndelag
Posts: 35
Images: 17

Member car:

AR 159 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Interesting find! Ididnt know they existed. No ideas where you mightget some but if you find a supplier let us know. One point of noteto consider / check would be whether swapping fogs for DRLs would make it fail its MOT? Anyone know the law on this point?
I did btw find that page from that japanese catalogue here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-on-brera.html.

I've been googling for suppliers, but so far no luck...

Edit: Found the catalogue. http://www.alfaromeo-jp.com/jp/cmsjp/documents/pdf/acc_b+s_0801.pdf

27300 Yen (205 GBP)...

Last edited by emerto; 05-09-11 at 21:28.
emerto is offline  
Status: Leg fixed - back in the drivers seat!
AO Member
 
Maximus84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 973

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Interesting find! Ididnt know they existed. No ideas where you mightget some but if you find a supplier let us know. One point of noteto consider / check would be whether swapping fogs for DRLs would make it fail its MOT? Anyone know the law on this point?
Well, not all cars/vehicles have front fogs fitted, so I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem replacing them. You might attract attention from the police having your 'fog' lights on during the day though. You could maybe get away with calling them DRL's if they are dimmer/dipped more than standard fogs. Just a guess, however!
Maximus84 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norway
County: Nord-Trøndelag
Posts: 35
Images: 17

Member car:

AR 159 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus84 View Post
Well, not all cars/vehicles have front fogs fitted, so I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem replacing them. You might attract attention from the police having your 'fog' lights on during the day though. You could maybe get away with calling them DRL's if they are dimmer/dipped more than standard fogs. Just a guess, however!
I'm not worried about the legal aspect by removing the fog lights and install DRLs. Fog lights are not mandatory. It is of course essential that the DRLs are mounted so that they get proper functionality (as DRLs - not fog lights).

I did btw fint the 159 version of the catalogue. http://www.alfaromeo-jp.com/jp/docum...ccessories.pdf

I translated the the text: "Daytime LED lamp system Designs employing high-intensity white LED. Vehicle in the presence of pedestrians and oncoming traffic The appeal. Set the left and right Item #: 51028125 ※ LED daytime lights will be installed in the system and replace the standard fog lights"

They can be ordered here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/a..._alf_51028125/

Alfa Romeo 159 Ti - Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Alfa Romeo Giulia 1750 GT V - Lancia Prisma - 2 x Rayton Fissore Magnum - La Forza - Fiat Argenta "Abarth" - Lancia Prisma - Porsche 911s - Ford Anglia

Last edited by emerto; 06-09-11 at 08:16. Reason: Updated information
emerto is offline  
(Post Link) post #113 of 821 Old 06-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerto View Post
I'm not worried about the legal aspect by removing the fog lights and install DRLs. Fog lights are not mandatory. It is of course essential that the DRLs are mounted so that they get proper functionality (as DRLs - not fog lights).

I did btw fint the 159 version of the catalogue. http://www.alfaromeo-jp.com/jp/docum...ccessories.pdf
If your happy to go down the route of changing the light unit, what about these as an option? You could set the Halo to run as a DRL (I had considered it myself, but not sure of the overall styling match for the 159/Brera front end.
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norway
County: Nord-Trøndelag
Posts: 35
Images: 17

Member car:

AR 159 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
If your happy to go down the route of changing the light unit, what about these as an option? You could set the Halo to run as a DRL (I had considered it myself, but not sure of the overall styling match for the 159/Brera front end.
I agree, not sure about the styling match. I will not do anything until I've mapped out all the options. Those japanese LEDs are after all "some kind of" original accessories...
emerto is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norway
County: Nord-Trøndelag
Posts: 35
Images: 17

Member car:

AR 159 TI

Full LED kit available at alfashop.jp - Cuore
emerto is offline  
Status: Leg fixed - back in the drivers seat!
AO Member
 
Maximus84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 973

Member car:

GQV

New sidelights fitted and the old LED ones are in the puddle lights!

Now need to get some more for map-reading and numberplate lights....

It gets quite addictive!
Maximus84 is offline  
(Post Link) post #117 of 821 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus84 View Post
New sidelights fitted and the old LED ones are in the puddle lights!

Now need to get some more for map-reading and numberplate lights....

It gets quite addictive!
couldn't agree more! - I recommend the ones I bought for the interiors (see first post) as they give a nice 6000K almost "moonlight" look which really changes the mood of the interior!!
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: They saiditcouldn'tbe done.SoI didn'tdo it.
AO Member
 
nandesuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 204
Images: 2

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Well, got a couple of led's for rear fog and reverse and two for the sidelights. Rears fitted no problem. However, front sides is different. Followed destruction manual and pressed and pulled and twisted the tab but nothing. Can somebody please tellme the knack of getting them out!
Cheers.
nandesuka is offline  
Status: Leg fixed - back in the drivers seat!
AO Member
 
Maximus84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 973

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
couldn't agree more! - I recommend the ones I bought for the interiors (see first post) as they give a nice 6000K almost "moonlight" look which really changes the mood of the interior!!
Cheers J, I'll check those out! Is it easy enough to get the light unit out? I've seen some of the previous posts regarding this, just don't wanna break any clips/damage the roof lining!

Any joy on the rear stop/tail lights?
Maximus84 is offline  
(Post Link) post #120 of 821 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
It comes out with some gentle persuasion!!! check the thread for some good advice on how to remove it as its been posted a couple of times. Still waiting for the spider lights to arrive from the US, no idea where they have got to, probably stuck in customs. Will check and chase at some stage!!
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: Bavarian
Admin Team
 
bobda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
County: -
Posts: 15,247
Images: 13

Member car:

Not a GT

Just spotted these gallery images showing what appears to be a reasonable light level from LEDs installed in a Brera (back and front). http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/galle...&cutoffdate=-1
bobda is offline  
(Post Link) post #122 of 821 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Just spotted these gallery images showing what appears to be a reasonable light level from LEDs installed in a Brera (back and front). http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/galle...&cutoffdate=-1
I stumbled across these images myself a while ago and the guy who did it also posted images of the wiring that facilitated it. for the record, not ideal although an awesome effort, and much respect to him/her for doing it, there was a significant amount of additional wiring and resistance used to make it all work, which kind of goes against what I am hoping we can achieve here direct replacements that work well for a reasonable fee is the name of the game!
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: They saiditcouldn'tbe done.SoI didn'tdo it.
AO Member
 
nandesuka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 204
Images: 2

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

As previously posted,I fitted led's to reverse light and rear fog. I've now got a message saying check rear right fog light. Changedback to ordinary bulb but still get the message. HELP!
nandesuka is offline  
(Post Link) post #124 of 821 Old 08-09-11 Thread Starter
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,381
Images: 31
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandesuka View Post
As previously posted,I fitted led's to reverse light and rear fog. I've now got a message saying check rear right fog light. Changedback to ordinary bulb but still get the message. HELP!
Not sure why you would still get the error to be honest. Have you tried resetting it on the computer? if not, double check your connections is all I can suggest. Anyone else come across this?
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Alfa-Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Salisbury UK
Posts: 194
Hi Guys
Thanks for the great advise in this thread.
I have ordered LED's for the number plates and side lights for starters.
Regards
Steve
Alfa-Steve is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome