LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 32 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Hi Abhana,

Those LED bulbs you linked to, do they simply replace the daylight dipped beam bulbs? Or can I replace the main (not full) beam bulbs as well? Do these fail on MOT aswell?

Cheers,
Joe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
socket grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB. View Post
Just fitted these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301255531477
Bright and nice color, but I get an intermittent warning message that says the left side light is not working, even though it actually works just fine. I got the same message for the right side light as well, but only once. The message clears itself after a minute or so. This seems to happen at the beginning of the ride when the engine is cold. Don't know if that is related to the problem, though.

I thought these bulbs would work without any problems, but do I need a resistor to clear the error?
I put some of these in a couple of weeks ago, partly because the LEDs I had in weren't bright enough, and partly because of the canbus errors all the time. When I put them in, I noticed that the socket you plug the bulb into wasn't gripping it very tight, so had to put a small flat screwdriver in to reshape the socket. Haven't had a single error since then.

County: Bulgaria
Good afternoon!

I see most of you LED fans were quite successful with retrofitting canbus LED bulbs.
Unfortunately I cannot say that for myself, having tried 3 sets (explicitly marked canbus) - all of them causing ECU errors on my '08 159 SW. What is even more annoying, they work just fine in my colleague's Audi RS6 '08 (and the guy is now enjoying them for free :-) ).

So 2 questions:
1. Can anybody confirm that the bulb options in the beginning of the thread work on MY08+ cars (to exclude possible "minor" changes in ECU software/firmware in facelifted ones)?
2. Having the enormous amount of options on AliExpress, etc. with newcommers practically every day, are the above-mentioned working options still the only/the best ones available? Maybe someone tried fresher ones without updating the thread...?
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Brake / Stop Lights

Hi All,

I decided to plumb a bit of time into break / stop lights - Im keen to locate direct plug+play versions of each of the lights to avoid the resistor mods -- Although having tried a couple of these they work perfectly and I cant thank Jay enough.

However im not here with great news what I have got is a link of what bulbs dont work!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371588723990 >> 2X RED + EARTH 44-LED BAY15D,380,1157,P21/5W 12V STOP/TAIL LIGHT BULBS

--------

These despite being canbus error free through up issues - A quick scan with Multiscan however suggests that the lights producing too much resistance to satisfy the canbus system. They also dont differentiate very well between driving/braking. The driving lights are brighter than standard but as a result the differnce isnt great when you apply the breaks - id say borderline unsafe.

Shame as I thought we might be on to a winner.

--------

Has anyone else ever seen a canbus problem for high resistance? I didnt realise there was an acceptable limit.

Living, Learning and loving Alfa.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

From my experience only HIDs with ballasts, Angel Eyes with canbus DC/AC boxes and LEDs installed in the interior work. I've replaced a reverse light which was LED that hasnt thrown up errors. I think side indicators and front DRL dipped beam are the worst in the 159 and thus your only work around is finding an HID / kit with canbus resistor box with it.
(Post Link) post #781 of 821 Old 20-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
Hi All,

I decided to plumb a bit of time into break / stop lights - Im keen to locate direct plug+play versions of each of the lights to avoid the resistor mods -- Although having tried a couple of these they work perfectly and I cant thank Jay enough.

However im not here with great news what I have got is a link of what bulbs dont work!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371588723990 >> 2X RED + EARTH 44-LED BAY15D,380,1157,P21/5W 12V STOP/TAIL LIGHT BULBS

--------

These despite being canbus error free through up issues - A quick scan with Multiscan however suggests that the lights producing too much resistance to satisfy the canbus system. They also dont differentiate very well between driving/braking. The driving lights are brighter than standard but as a result the differnce isnt great when you apply the breaks - id say borderline unsafe.

--------

Has anyone else ever seen a canbus problem for high resistance? I didnt realise there was an acceptable limit.
This is still the best option: Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion ? Exterior Guide | Jabablog
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I think the only issue is that some of the LEDs your guide links to are no longer listed on ebay and thus people try and find alternatives, and even when they describe them as being canbus-friendly, alot simply aren't, well not with the 159 anyways.
danieltr250 likes this.
(Post Link) post #783 of 821 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Just dont try and use can bus leds anywhere but the sides as they are a joke. use resistors as per the guide and choose whatever leds you like then.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Ok will do.
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

159 2.0 SW Ti

Think I came across the usual issue myself yesterday - picked up some "X-Bright" CAN-BUS White LEDs for the sidelights, all fitted no problem. However, when I checked the car before heading to bed, I could see that they were still drawing a small amount of power despite the ignition being off and the car locked up and they were partially illuminated (as in lit up but dull, rather than fully illuminated).

I'm assuming lack of resistors is the issue. Likely just go back to standard filament bulbs as my battery is a tad on the grumpy side as it is.

edit: spotted a post in the thread somewhere that mentioned that fitting the likes of the Philips Ultra Vision White 501 filament bulbs wouldnt have much benefit due to the orange indicator bulbs still causing the light to look yellow - think I'll try some Silvatec indicator bulbs along with the Philips Ultras and see what that looks like rather than keep trying LEDs etc.

Phil.

Last edited by Nanglebadger; 25-07-16 at 08:03.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
Hi All,

--------

--------

This is still the best option: Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion ? Exterior Guide | Jabablog
Thanks Jay I think your right I'm just going to have to crack on with the resistor builds. Shouldn't take me too long just wished there was a plug n play alternative.
AlfaJoe92 likes this.
AO Member

County: -
AO Member

AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Pretty cool.
AO Member

I don't see anyone replacing the H7's and H1's with LED bulbs. Is there a reason? I was thinking of going that route as opposed to xenon/hid. Saw it on some other cars and they look great. Thoughts?
(Post Link) post #791 of 821 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
I don't see anyone replacing the H7's and H1's with LED bulbs. Is there a reason? I was thinking of going that route as opposed to xenon/hid. Saw it on some other cars and they look great. Thoughts?

It's cause they don't provide enough light in the right direction. Plenty of posts I this thread about it. Use the search button and search for h7 led
AO Member

I am going to cut the Tailight lens out and install a LED strip and convert everything into LEDs. Will post update later. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...8234965acf.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...8234965acf.jpg

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
JabawokJayUK likes this.
AO Member

I am designing a LED taillight for my 159. Give me some time to make it real.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...253cd6f35c.jpg

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
boblelie likes this.
AO Member

County: Attica

Member car:

A166 2.0 TS

Hi guys, i want to replace the interior and boot lights to my alfa 166 the front and rear roof lights with led bulbs xenon type 6000k but i dont know what bulbs i must buy with error free (canbus). any idea or any link?
the originals front roof lights is osram 12v 10w Halogen BA9S and rear is 5w and the boot bulb is type c 10w
thank you very much
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Having got through several sets of eBay LEDS in my sidelights I have learned that the cheap ones don't last.

I tend to run with my sidelights on and the heat seemed to affect the onboard resistors within a few months causing errors and eventual failure.

One last throw of the dice I thought, and purchased the top quality made in Germany types from here.

http://m.ledperf.co.uk

I know you the prices seem over the top compared to eBay- but....

They have been rock solid for several months now - although I did also notice on changing them that the contact strips in the holder in the car also needed a bit of a scrape and tweak to get a good contact so that may have helped in getting rid of the canbus error messages.
AO Member

County: Attica

Member car:

A166 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf M. View Post
Having got through several sets of eBay LEDS in my sidelights I have learned that the cheap ones don't last.

I tend to run with my sidelights on and the heat seemed to affect the onboard resistors within a few months causing errors and eventual failure.

One last throw of the dice I thought, and purchased the top quality made in Germany types from here.

LedPerf.com: Number 1 Automotive LED lighting

They have been rock solid for several months now - although I did also notice on changing them that the contact strips in the holder in the car also needed a bit of a scrape and tweak to get a good contact so that may have helped in getting rid of the canbus error messages.
very nice site i proceed to order for my A166 this pack Pack Full LED interior for Alfa Romeo 166
thank you very much for your informations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf M. View Post

http://m.ledperf.co.uk

I agree that cheap ebay ones tend to last shorter compared to expensive retail ones.
However i bought these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-LED-T...864?nav=SEARCH

they worked for about a year before one of them started giving errors. For less then 1 euro a bulb with a lifespan of one year im perfectly happy with it. They give a nice 6000k color and are much brighter than standard halogen t10 ones. I can buy 10 of these for the same money as one set from normal retail channels (which btw are also frequently the cheap china ones). So order 3, ( 2 for the sidelights and 1 as a backup due to the long shipping times from china), it'll only cost 3 euros/dollars a year.

So, maybe worth a shot?
Ps. They work brilliantly under the front doors as well.

Ps ps, the issue with premature failure is because of the failing built in resistors. Using seperate resistors with non-canbus leds should increase the lifespan big time.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Anyone got any decent LED number plate bulbs in 6k colour that don't give a canbus error, mine are all of a sudden giving me a warning when no lights are turned on on the dash. Don't think there's enough room in the number plate housing for a resistor.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post
Anyone got any decent LED number plate bulbs in 6k colour that don't give a canbus error, mine are all of a sudden giving me a warning when no lights are turned on on the dash. Don't think there's enough room in the number plate housing for a resistor.

Cheers.
Mine are these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/T10-LED-CANBUS...146?nav=SEARCH

They have worked for 1.5 years now with zero problems. While checking the bulbs for wear after 1 year i saw no visible indication that the bulbs were about to fail. (Often you see stains around the resistors that look like rust when they are getting too hot and may fail soon.)

The bulbs are nice and white (6000k) and are really bright (but not too bright for it to be a problem/ugly).
AlfaJoe92 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehusky View Post
I am designing a LED taillight for my 159. Give me some time to make it real.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...253cd6f35c.jpg

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Is that image a mockup or a set that you can actually buy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds