LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 30 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Not noticed a tinge with mine but haven't checked the colour since I installed them. I'll have a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
Not noticed a tinge with mine but haven't checked the colour since I installed them. I'll have a look.
Same I'll have a check and see if they've changed colour!
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicQ View Post
Yep, both of mine developed a blueish tinge after a week or so as well.
Glad it's not me thought I was seeing things at first.
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
These arrived promptly and both bulbs are identical. Give good colour match to my hids.

Ebay clicky
Arrived after a bit of a delay, fitted this arvo. I thought I had a duff one but after cleaning the contactors in the bulb holder all is good. No errors I'll be having a look later to see what they are like in the dark. Got to sort out my wayward passenger mirror again...
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Checked my bulbs last night and they don't seem to have a blue tinge to me, but I'll keep an eye on them
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R159 View Post
Arrived after a bit of a delay, fitted this arvo. I thought I had a duff one but after cleaning the contactors in the bulb holder all is good. No errors I'll be having a look later to see what they are like in the dark. Got to sort out my wayward passenger mirror again...
Well they are fine and nice and bright, colour is a better match than the previous LEDs I had in.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
No blue tinge to either of my bulbs
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 SW ti

Just ordered a few sets, so will see how they go... when they eventually turn up thats is.
If they're not great is only a tenner down the drain.
AO Member

County: -Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB2801 View Post
Sorry this is the first time I've been on the forum for a while!! I did use the Hong Kong supplier for mine but as I didn't have an issue with them I didn't need to contact them but sorry to hear you've had issues glad to hear you got it sorted with another supplier though
I've ordered a pair of these also from HK supplied and they are fine, except one was little flimsy. Had to put some superglue on it to make it more rigid. I wonder if there is any difference in quality between the HK and UK ones, since they both look the same to me. Anyway, they are nice match to 4300k HIDs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150120_222228~2.jpg (70.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150120_222238~2.jpg (55.3 KB, 19 views)
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 SW ti

Anyone tried LEDs for dipped or main beam?
These for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H7-SUPE...item19efdc4579
(Post Link) post #736 of 821 Old 22-01-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Yes, they just don't work, read back through the thread or use the search feature. its all documented in here
AO Member

County: -Serbia
After few days of using the above mentioned leds for the sidelights I noticed that there is still some colour difference compared to my 35w/4300 HID. LEDs are in colder/icy white, while 4300 are more warmer white. Is there any other option for the leds to make better color match?
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 SW ti

Cheers Jaba.

Edit: Finally got round to installing these this morning after a few failed attempts this week.
Had the bumper off anyway as I was replacing the damaged grille.
I completely unbolted the drivers side light unit because it was being such a pain. Turns out the little finger hook had been completely snapped of so I'd never have managed it otherwise. Passenger side was an absolute breeze in comparison.

I did find a spare blanked off cable by the fog lights though (just hanging loose by the horn/alarm sirens ... Assume this is for paring sensors, which aren't fitted on mine.

Last edited by TimBud; 24-01-15 at 16:29.
AO Member

Garage
I'm slowly plodding through changing my bulbs to LED's thanks to Jaba and everyone else. I'm now getting to the more tricky ones (indicators n brakes etc) and I'm wondering if anythings moved on. Ideally I'm looking for some more direct replacements that are canbus friendly to avoid the resistors in the rear. Any thoughts guys?
AO Member

Garage
Canbus

Also just wondering does anyone have a difinitive list of of which bulbs are canbus monitored and which arent? just wondering if i need all my LED's to be canbus error free or not? As ive replaced the reverse light and that doesnt seem to matter?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
Also just wondering does anyone have a difinitive list of of which bulbs are canbus monitored and which arent? just wondering if i need all my LED's to be canbus error free or not? As ive replaced the reverse light and that doesnt seem to matter?
Scrap this just found the bit on Jaba's blog. Looks like the reverse light is the only normal bulb that doesnt.
AO Member

Garage
In other news I know there's some mixed opinions but I've just ordered a set of logo projectors for the puddles... Ill post pics once installed
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 SW ti

Both my LED sides a failed recently.

There's a bit of corrosion on the connection and the glass had cracked too... I guess they must have overheated?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3188.jpg (111.6 KB, 19 views)
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Looky Looky New high power CREE options for LEDs

Researching like crazy for the highest power/ light output for the LEDs, I found the following options that were not mentioned on this thread (apologies if I missed them):

Sidelight Bulbs 501
HIGH POWER CREE XBD LED BULB 50W - 4500K - 550 lumens!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121310459293?var=420264784825

Indicator Bulbs 581
HIGH POWER CREE INDICATOR LED BULB - 80W!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111652378573?var=410664080144

I was hoping to find something similar for the 42 mm festoon bulb, but I couldn't (only the classical SMDs +/- some weaker CREEs).

I hope that helps - I am planning to buy both options pretty soon!
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBud View Post
Anyone tried LEDs for dipped or main beam?
These for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H7-SUPE...item19efdc4579
I have HIDs as main lights, they work really well and LEDs on high beam, not as strong as HIDs but work OK.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4luv View Post
Researching like crazy for the highest power/ light output for the LEDs, I found the following options that were not mentioned on this thread (apologies if I missed them):

Sidelight Bulbs 501
HIGH POWER CREE XBD LED BULB 50W - 4500K - 550 lumens!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121310459293?var=420264784825

Indicator Bulbs 581
HIGH POWER CREE INDICATOR LED BULB - 80W!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111652378573?var=410664080144

I was hoping to find something similar for the 42 mm festoon bulb, but I couldn't (only the classical SMDs +/- some weaker CREEs).

I hope that helps - I am planning to buy both options pretty soon!
Certainly aint cheap!
AO Member

You get what you pay for! :-)

The LEDs above use the latest technology from CREE (the XB-D is their latest diode Cree XLamp XB-D LEDs ) and the seller is based in UK with great ratings.

I personally don't think is expensive to spend 30 for a pair of the best side-lights available and that you will probably never have to change!

My only concern is if they would be TOO bright for oncoming traffic?
(Post Link) post #748 of 821 Old 10-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon159 View Post
I have HIDs as main lights, they work really well and LEDs on high beam, not as strong as HIDs but work OK.
Now, lets debate those main beams shall we

I have tried all the major LED H7 styles available and one of two issues bugs them all.

1) they just aint bright enough!!! go take them out and try a regular set of halogens in, or better yet a ultra bright H7 halogen and see the difference, it really is too hard to ignore.

2) The ones ones that are bright enough are designed wrong The ones I refer to are the CREE style with separate LED drivers that look like HID Ballasts. They have 2 x 25w cree bulbs either side of a wafer and a fan on the back of the bulb unit. The are plenty bright enough but as a halogen produces a 360 degree light source and these produce 2 x 115 degree light sources you get a totally mental / destroyed beam pattern that lights the top of trees and the first 3 feet of road in front of the car!!

Stick to Halogens, and get some 100w rally spec ones to give you some range over the HID's

Quote:
You get what you pay for! :-)

The LEDs above use the latest technology from CREE (the XB-D is their latest diode Cree XLamp XB-D LEDs ) and the seller is based in UK with great ratings.

I personally don't think is expensive to spend 30 for a pair of the best side-lights available and that you will probably never have to change!

My only concern is if they would be TOO bright for oncoming traffic?
They might be the best CRee bulbs around but there are two key factors to consider.

1) They are assembled for the lowest cost by hand in a small factory in China, and the rest of the parts used to stabilise the voltage will be of the lowest quality known to man. These parts will fail and the bulbs will no longer work. Trust me I have had loads go this way.

2) The original 22w halogen produced a certain amount of lumen's, if you stick a massive power Cree bulb in its place it will be like having a 55w halogen main beam light flashing orange every time you indicate. Try and spec the power of the bulbs (in lumen's) to the OE brightness to avoid an MOT fail and annoying every other road user.

Those sides wont go through the holes in the headlight by the looks of it. you have around 11mm max and that varies headlight to headlight, so check with the vendor before you waste your money.

In terms of matching lights. I spent a lot of time matching intensity and lumen's on every bulb change in the car so I achieved the styling goals without creating issues. There is a guide with suggestions on my blog, feel free to ignore it and slap in some massive power lights though, its a free country.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

Thanks Jaba - I appreciate that you took the time to answer my query.

I was actually not sure if you tried similar lights, hence my post. I was also a bit worried to install lights that are 50W instead of 20W, as that may have created problems.

I will therefore probably stick to what you tried and tested - thank you! ?
(Post Link) post #750 of 821 Old 14-05-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Jaba - I appreciate that you took the time to answer my query.

I was actually not sure if you tried similar lights, hence my post. I was also a bit worried to install lights that are 50W instead of 20W, as that may have created problems.

I will therefore probably stick to what you tried and tested - thank you! ?
Do keep looking for new options as I am not even sure you can get the ones I am using any more! what I would say though is ignore all that wattage talk, its nonsense. wattage is no way to measure light. It used to make sense when the bulbs were incandescent as the amount of consumed power had a direct relation to the light produced but with LED's its a very different equation!! my current bulbs are about the same lumen's as a 20w incandescent and pull now more than 2 or 3 watts of power. A different LED style (CREE, COB, etc etc) can produce more or less light with more or less power, so the "wattage" measure is not relevant.

Ask the seller to measure the light output in lumen. You can get an iphone app for it, its that easy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds