LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
I had seen these also, but no idea on the CANBUS issue either. I agree on the Ohms law point, but what I am trying to achieve with this thread is a like for like, DIY swap for all the light units in the car that anyone can perform, without the need to alter the core cables in the car.

I find it difficult to understand, why, given LEDs have been around for so long, and that they are being used more and more in cars now, that its not as easy as popping down to Halfords and picking up a set of LED replacement bulbs that actually work well

Hopefully, through this thread we can identify what does and doest work well and then pull all that knowledge together into a guide on what bulbs you would need, where to get them and how much they are going to cost you, so that if you wanted to go LED in your 159/Brera, you can do so easily.
Yes its good to have all the tried and tested info in one thread, keep up the good work.
Quote:
hahah, yeah, I don't do things by half mate, the engine is next on my list, just starting off "light" as only had the car for a couple of weeks I have the 159 booked in with AHM for a Remap + DPF + EGR removal on the 23rd, but as she's a QTRONIC, I cant get the Torque too high without seriously upsetting her, so will be looking at the 240Bhp marker with a smoother torque delivery curve instead

Much respect for your own engine work btw, that's some impressive tuning! I may be in touch for some advice given we have the same lumps of iron under the bonnet!
Cheers dude, yes these cars really come alive with a little more poke!
Yes there's quite abit in that thread one bit you may like is this: fingerprintautostartcircuit.mpg - YouTube

but we digress...back to lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
im loving the finger print reader jbs
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDM

Quote:
Good call on the approach, however, as I want to have a dip switch select from 4 modes 1) Normal, 2) Cylon, 3) F1 Flash & 4) Pulse and not need a massive amount of additional components I plan on using an ATMega (Arduino) and coding up a more complicated set of programmatic logic options leaving the electronics side to just drive the LEDs.

I am trying to find a 159 brake light for sale somewhere so I can leave mine alone in the car for now!

I will set-up a new thread for it when I find one and document the insanity.
With the exception of indicators (60-120 flashes per min), any MOT testable light showing anything other than a contant brightness should fail its next MOT.

The other thing I thought of is why are people looking for red rear LED bulbs when the lenses are already red?
(Post Link) post #54 of 821 Old 13-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdawes View Post
With the exception of indicators (60-120 flashes per min), any MOT testable light showing anything other than a contant brightness should fail its next MOT.
Hi Sam, that would be the exact reason for position 1 on the settings, i.e. normal operation.

Quote:
The other thing I thought of is why are people looking for red rear LED bulbs when the lenses are already red?
Indeed, good challenge. I am considering red LEDs as they are typically a deeper red than the lenses alone, which is what I have observed with the tail light installs. It may be, however, that white LED's are more powerful. The key observation so far is that when the LED is a 1157 type, i.e. Tail & Stop combined, there is not enough difference between half and full illumination to distinguish the brake, therefore its not a safe upgrade. Have you come across white type 1157's that do offer a good luminosity difference?

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
(Post Link) post #55 of 821 Old 13-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post
one bit you may like is this: fingerprintautostartcircuit.mpg - YouTube
Definitely appreciate and approve of that project JB. Very interesting, and I am well up for a set-up like that in my 159 when you get to ***** or Beta stages! one thing to note though... not sure on the reader type you are using but in my day job (don't ask, just google) I get to mess around with all sorts of security type things and know a pretty simple way of bypassing all basic readers. Its known as the "Gummy Bear Bypass". Because of this simple trick, your better off using a swipe reader that you move your finger across, which stops this attack. - happy to feed thoughts into a discussion on the subject if you have a thread set-up for it!
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Because that's the way LEDs work - by emitting a coloured light based on wavelength, rather than traditional bulbs which produce a white light.
If you put a white LED behind a red lens, the lens will filter out all the light that is not red and the actual measured light output will be lower than if a red LED is used.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDM

Quote:
Hi Sam, that would be the exact reason for position 1 on the settings, i.e. normal operation.

Indeed, good challenge. I am considering red LEDs as they are typically a deeper red than the lenses alone, which is what I have observed with the tail light installs. It may be, however, that white LED's are more powerful. The key observation so far is that when the LED is a 1157 type, i.e. Tail & Stop combined, there is not enough difference between half and full illumination to distinguish the brake, therefore its not a safe upgrade. Have you come across white type 1157's that do offer a good luminosity difference?
Only had my Brera a fortnight, was looking into HID kit for dipped beam and of course matching LEDs for front sidelights. Quite interested in interior LEDs too.
The LED H7's on eBay are a consideration for fog lights but from what I've seen they're not even close to being bright enough for main beam. Possibly tinted halogen for them or just standard as more important to see where I'm going than look good!

The visible difference LEDs offer for front (i.e. white) lights is obvious, but with the rear lenses surely the appearance difference is negligible? I don't see the advantage on the rear, But you're completely right looking at the safety aspect.
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
im loving the finger print reader jbs
cheers
Quote:
Definitely appreciate and approve of that project JB. Very interesting, and I am well up for a set-up like that in my 159 when you get to ***** or Beta stages! one thing to note though... not sure on the reader type you are using but in my day job (don't ask, just google) I get to mess around with all sorts of security type things and know a pretty simple way of bypassing all basic readers. Its known as the "Gummy Bear Bypass". Because of this simple trick, your better off using a swipe reader that you move your finger across, which stops this attack. - happy to feed thoughts into a discussion on the subject if you have a thread set-up for it!

Yes very interesting there are ways to fool all sensors, the point is its visual and another layer of hassle and imobilising to stop the opportunist thief. I know any insurance payout would never cover the cost of my work and mods on the car.

Anyway here's the thread that started it all off. Sorry for the thread jack
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...hey-do-it.html
AO Member

County: Fife
I found this thread quite interesting and has resulted in me ordering the LED's for my front side-lights. Fingers crossed they work well. I am considering changing the 'puddles' now too. Cheers everyone for the advice (and links)
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

GQV

Still waiting for my cheapy LED Sidelights from Hong Kong - ordered 6th Aug and delivery estimate now 2-16 Sept!!!
(Post Link) post #61 of 821 Old 20-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Finally got the interior LEDs (slow ebay supplier) and they look amazing. I have attached some pictures but not sure the camera on my iphone does them any justice. I still need to get another set of W5W's for the vanity light and the glove box, so rather than buy more of the same I have ordered a set of 13 SMD LED w5w's to uprate the side lights as discussed in the thread on HIDs here, and will reuse the 8 LED ones I have their at the minute in the internal locations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 16-11-11 at 00:15.
AO Member

Member car:

GQV

Jabawokjay, Mark S,

I have just installed these in my sidelights (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-T10-W5W-...#ht_3605wt_946) after waiting patiently for 2 weeks.

They fit and light up fine however, I keep getting intermittent CANBUS errors, from both left and right. Sometimes both will flag up with the ignition on, then just disappear, sometimes just one, sometimes neither!!

I appreciate that for 1.68 inc delivery from Hong Kong I shouldn't expect too much, but it does state there shouldn't be any CANBUS errors!

Have either of you exeperienced any problems with this product?

Cheers!

Max
(Post Link) post #63 of 821 Old 22-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus84 View Post
Jabawokjay, Mark S,

I have just installed these in my sidelights (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-T10-W5W-...#ht_3605wt_946) after waiting patiently for 2 weeks.

They fit and light up fine however, I keep getting intermittent CANBUS errors, from both left and right. Sometimes both will flag up with the ignition on, then just disappear, sometimes just one, sometimes neither!!

I appreciate that for 1.68 inc delivery from Hong Kong I shouldn't expect too much, but it does state there shouldn't be any CANBUS errors!

Have either of you exeperienced any problems with this product?

Cheers!

Max

Mine have been running fine for a few weeks now and not had any errors, it may just be a faulty set, Mark has been using them for longer, so may have something to add.
AO Member

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Mine have been running fine for a few weeks now and not had any errors, it may just be a faulty set, Mark has been using them for longer, so may have something to add.
Cheers. It seems the system registers a fault at first, (when switch on th ignition with lights already 'on') but quickly clears itself and doesn't appear to come back.

Slightly irritating, but I can put up with it for now until I can maybe get a more substantial set.
(Post Link) post #65 of 821 Old 24-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
!Sidelight Update!

I ordered a set of these as saw them in a different thread and thought they may be a better option for the sidelights.

I have now installed them in the car and initial results are quite interesting. They definitely make use of the reflector much better than the others due to the fact they have 360 degree light radius from the 4 banks of 3 x 5050SMD LEDs, but have less forward projection than the others. I actually think this is a better combination for the sides as they aren't meant to light the way, but are meant for you to be seen at night, so better use of the reflector will inevitably equal more light as per its purpose!

I put both side by side on the bench for you to see the difference. The new ones burn much higher up the Kelvin scale, maybe 6500K so will definitely match the HIDs better. The old ones seem to be around 4500K. The old ones seem brighter though, even though they have less LEDs, but I will get some shots later tonight to see what difference they make as in the sun its hard to see any bulbs other than HIDs!

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-15 at 09:26.
AO Member

Quote:
Sorry I cant follow the link to ebay (at work) I would be surprised though unless they are faulty? Seems strange though. Let me have a look at what you bought when I get home!
AO Member

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Sorry I cant follow the link to ebay (at work) I would be surprised though unless they are faulty? Seems strange though. Let me have a look at what you bought when I get home!
Thanks Mark. Having had them a few days, it seems that with just the ignition on, it throws up errors. Once the engine is running, it clears them almost instantly. Maybe something to do with battery voltage once the alternator kicks in?

I believe they're the same ones previously mentioned from Hong Kong - only 99p! Thus I'm not getting too worked up about it!

JabawokJay, those new lights look good, look forward to seeing how they look when installed! Can't follow your link on my phone though!
AO Member

Quote:
!Sidelight Update!

I ordered a set of these as saw them in a different thread and thought they may be a better option for the sidelights.

I have now installed them in the car and initial results are quite interesting. They definitely make use of the reflector much better than the others due to the fact they have 360 degree light radius from the 4 banks of 3 x 5050SMD LEDs, but have less forward projection than the others. I actually think this is a better combination for the sides as they aren't meant to light the way, but are meant for you to be seen at night, so better use of the reflector will inevitably equal more light as per its purpose!

I put both side by side on the bench for you to see the difference. The new ones burn much higher up the Kelvin scale, maybe 6500K so will definitely match the HIDs better. The old ones seem to be around 4500K. The old ones seem brighter though, even though they have less LEDs, but I will get some shots later tonight to see what difference they make as in the sun its hard to see any bulbs other than HIDs!
Dammit more expense, good one J, I will have to test these as the "original" Leds we had are a little feeble?

Quote:
Thanks Mark. Having had them a few days, it seems that with just the ignition on, it throws up errors. Once the engine is running, it clears them almost instantly. Maybe something to do with battery voltage once the alternator kicks in?

I believe they're the same ones previously mentioned from Hong Kong - only 99p! Thus I'm not getting too worked up about it!

JabawokJay, those new lights look good, look forward to seeing how they look when installed! Can't follow your link on my phone though!
Max, they look the same as mine, and I'm sure there from the same seller. Try another pair if you still bought enough? You can use those in the puddle lights or down lighters. I suspect we will be going down J's new sidelight route though!
(Post Link) post #69 of 821 Old 24-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
One of the LEDs in the new set started throwing canbus errors. Fortunately I bought two pair, so swapped it for one of my spares and it's all ok again. It looks like in general the cheap canbus LEDs are prone to resister failure/ low load simulation that causes the cars to register a blown bulb. My advice, always buy a spare or two, they are cheap enough!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.451915,-1.732878
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Good find Jabawok - I'd be keen to see the difference once they're fitted however at that price have decided to buy a set to see how they work.

Are they easy to change around?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Abyss View Post
Good find Jabawok - I'd be keen to see the difference once they're fitted however at that price have decided to buy a set to see how they work.

In the absense of J, they are relatively easy to swop over, unless, of course you have pig **** for fingers?

Please note that you can get these from Hong K a lot cheaper, they come in such small envelopes that they seem to come through the post rapidly. I have had some come from HK quicker than those bought in the UK. (Caveated: Not always the case though!)
(Post Link) post #72 of 821 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Abyss View Post

That was my thoughts as well. For the price, they are worth a punt. I will check them later tonight and grab a picture to upload.

Incidentally, since I swapped the one faulty one its all been fine with no canbus errors, so it looks like its definitely a manufacturing issue with some of the LEDs.
AO Member

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Dammit more expense, good one J, I will have to test these as the "original" Leds we had are a little feeble?

Max, they look the same as mine, and I'm sure there from the same seller. Try another pair if you still bought enough? You can use those in the puddle lights or down lighters. I suspect we will be going down J's new sidelight route though!
Perhaps I should've bought another pair - they were cheap enough! However, if it seems the new ones found by J are a notcieable improvement (which makes sense due to the 360 degree nature of them, as suggested by J), then I'll think I'll take a punt on those! the current set seem to look ok when its dark, but any sort of daylight and they're lost (not much of a problem in daylight anyway!). Incidentally Mark, by downlighters do u mean in the interior map-reading lights, or the numberplate lights? Cheers.

Quote:
That was my thoughts as well. For the price, they are worth a punt. I will check them later tonight and grab a picture to upload.

Incidentally, since I swapped the one faulty one its all been fine with no canbus errors, so it looks like its definitely a manufacturing issue with some of the LEDs.
I suppose you can't expect too much in the way of manufacturing quality/tolerances if you're only paying a few quid (or less!!) for an item like that. Still a bit annoying though!

I look forward to seeing how the new lights look when installed
(Post Link) post #74 of 821 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post
being a bit of an electronics nerd myself the night rider effect indicators can be done with a 555 and 4017 and transistors to drive the load, but its even easier with a picaxe-08m, an o/p driver and some simple software.
5-arm Spiderlite style LED bulbs - YouTube
You may be interested to know I am waiting for a set of stop/tail & indicator versions of these spiderlights to arrive at the minute. Put it down to a last minute "what the hell" decision, after a few two many ales! Will likely need to apply ohms law, and they may look far to chavy for our lovely cars, so they may end up on ebay sooner rather than later, but worth a punt purely for the experiment! I will of course document and share the results!
AO Member

Quote:
Incidentally Mark, by downlighters do u mean in the interior map-reading lights, or the numberplate lights? Cheers.

I look forward to seeing how the new lights look when installed
If you have canbus issues with those then you will get canbus issues by putting them into the rear number plates. Use the leds for map reading lights, they are perfect for the job imo!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds