LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 26 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Its hard to explain Shaz, as mentioned its about 45 degrees from centre, although finding centre usually requires that you be able to see inside the headlight, which in my case required the headlight out of the car.

I seriously wouldn't recommend trying to fit these COB bulbs into the headlights while they are on the car unless you like a challenge!

I have taken mine out now and gone back to the last set of bulbs I was using.
Thanks for this. When I have some spare time, I'll see if I can get the headlight out if it's not too difficult and have a try with it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

So these new Cree LEDs, are they worth it? 85 aint cheap!

Cree LED Kits | Custom LED
AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman View Post
So these new Cree LEDs, are they worth it? 85 aint cheap!

Cree LED Kits | Custom LED
Not really in my opinion having now run them for a couple of months.

Due to where the LEDs are positioned they give a different light pattern from the reflector which in real terms means the beam is not as full as a normal type bulb and thus does not appear to travel as far.

The colour match is by far the best so far. Yes they are brighter but produce a much narrower pattern so don't feel as effective. In summary the third or fourth generation of these bulb will be awesome if and when they arrive, but these first generation are not quite there yet.

Save your pennies for something else

The "Alfatune" full works
60mm Core Full size RS500 FMIC
AEM W/M Injection
Koni struts / Novitec springs
Grooved & Dimpled discs and pads
19" Prodrive wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Halo's HID's & LED's
Hub dyno'd at well over 500lbft at the wheels ! and that's limited.
Thats over 750 Nm for you figure fiddlers
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Do you think they would be good in the fogs?
AO Silver Member

Fogs are a different bulb type (H1) than the dip beam (H7) so unsure how they would perform, although I think the results would be very similar.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Fogs are a different bulb type (H1) than the dip beam (H7) so unsure how they would perform, although I think the results would be very similar.
They do the CREE LEDs in H1s too, check the link above, I'm just thinking that the fogs need to be more penetrating rather than throwing the light a distance and whether these would be more appropriate?
AO Silver Member

Careful they are H11's not H1's

Again I don't know if they would be any good or not. It could be they are just to bright and you end up dazzling yourself, try your main beams next time its foggy and see how much light bounces back at you.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
Careful they are H11's not H1's

Again I don't know if they would be any good or not. It could be they are just to bright and you end up dazzling yourself, try your main beams next time its foggy and see how much light bounces back at you.
Ah yeah, you're probably right, and 85 still too rich. Will have to wait for them to come down in price like the HIDs have.
(Post Link) post #634 of 821 Old 08-01-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I concur with Coxy.

I have them installed in my Main beam location and will probably take them out next time I take the bumper off. They create a very poor light pattern that throws light up into the air and down onto the ground around 20-30 feet in front of you. Its great for lighting up a tree, but terrible for seeing beyond the distance of your driving lights, which is what I personally use main beam for!

I cant see a H1 version located in the fog producing any different results as its entirely down to the design of the bulb which has one led on top and another underneath. Given Leds are very narrow beams, this creates 2 beams of light bounced of the top and bottom of the reflector rather than a focussed beam thrown forward like a normal 360 degree halogen light source would produce.

No idea what I will replace them with, not too worried about colour match but as close as I could get would be useful.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage
Thanks

Just wanted to thank JabawokJay for the excellent guide to upgrading to LEDs. I did all my interior ones at the weekend, and all the exterior ones I could actually get replacements for too. Just need the red ones and the orange ones, and I'm all done.

I've not done any soldering before, and I'm not entirely convinced that my car is the place to start learning with... so has anyone found any CANBUS rated replacements for the brake/tail/fog lights and indicators?
AO Member

Hello there all,

Just thought I'd post my tuppence-halfpenny worth . . .

I've not had my Ti SW very long & amongst a long list of, ahem, 'improvements' I'd like to make I couldn't resist changing the dipped & sidelights. As I've seen on here, kind people, there is an enormous choice, so I plummed for these CHEAP items to get the ball rolling:

DIPPED BEAM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3509568771...84.m1423.l2649

34 or so delivered. Nice slim ballasts but plastic mounts on bulbs - but as prices of bulbs are very reasonable now it's no great issue to change if they don't pan out well.

SIDELIGHTS
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4003473792...84.m1423.l2649
12.99 delivered.

Well, firstly, the both work great. No Canbus errors with the sidelights & the colour match is very close indeed - both 'white' as opposed to 'blue', well with my SpecSavers eyes anyway.

HiDs were straight-forward to fit - well documented on here - perhaps 40 minutes all in; & just imagine my joy at reading all your scare stories about dropped sidelight bulbs into the main headlight when I found there were plastic grab-handle thingys holding each sidelight in. These, oh lucky me, took less than a minute to swap!

I've adjusted the dipped beam pattern from \___\___ to ___ ___ - as they were lighting up the nearside signposts more than the road! Now, adjusted to flat, they are excellent, really excellent.

Nothing further to report really, apart from I realise it's a cheap HiD kit & the bulbs may go, but for the money & time spent it's a great investment - I am certainly not disappointed!

Thanks for all the help on here - it really is invaluable
AO Member

County: Cornwall
I'm looking at doing some of these mods to my 159. I got some bulbs from eBay and unfortunately they are blue looking (I think they must be 6000k). Anyone got any ideas to get a brilliant white and not blue? I've got Ring 120% dipped and main beams, which I like, I just want side lights to match (at least as similar as possible), any suggestions? I personally think the blue looks a little boy racer now, and now crisp enough for the beauty of the Alfa...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
I'm looking at doing some of these mods to my 159. I got some bulbs from eBay and unfortunately they are blue looking (I think they must be 6000k). Anyone got any ideas to get a brilliant white and not blue? I've got Ring 120% dipped and main beams, which I like, I just want side lights to match (at least as similar as possible), any suggestions? I personally think the blue looks a little boy racer now, and now crisp enough for the beauty of the Alfa...
Bump...anyone got any advice?
AO Member

Garage
When I've bought HIDs in the past, I've always gone for 6000K, which is just about on the blue side of white - to me it looks a bit cleaner.

You can find a chart here: http://reviews.turbometal.com/wp-con...emperature.jpg

or at hundreds of other sites, if you search for light colour charts
AO Member

Garage
Argh! My new LED indicators arrived today, so I tried to fit them when I got home, only to discover that the 159 has some strange fitting with the bayonet posts at 120 degrees, and the LEDs I had have them at 180... so back to Ebay they go...
(Post Link) post #641 of 821 Old 04-04-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLlama View Post
Argh! My new LED indicators arrived today, so I tried to fit them when I got home, only to discover that the 159 has some strange fitting with the bayonet posts at 120 degrees, and the LEDs I had have them at 180... so back to Ebay they go...
They are type 7507 or BAU15's - a standard fitting.

All listed in this guide on how to change the lot and available in the first post of this thread

Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion – Exterior Guide | Jabablog
AO Member

Garage
Yeah, I've been using your guide, and that's what I thought I'd ordered... ah well. Can always use them somewhere else. Probably...
AO Member

County: Fife
Thanks to TimAl above....Put these side lights in mine today. Cheers. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4003473792...84.m1439.l2649
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventino View Post
Thanks to TimAl above....Put these side lights in mine today. Cheers. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4003473792...84.m1439.l2649
Slightly blue looking?
AO Member

County: Fife
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
Slightly blue looking?
Just checked. No. Clear white. Identical to my factory fitted xenons. I am now after LED's for the fog lamps and need to clean them as they are tainted yellow/orange with age.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventino View Post
Just checked. No. Clear white. Identical to my factory fitted xenons. I am now after LED's for the fog lamps and need to clean them as they are tainted yellow/orange with age.
Hmmm. I got some before from eBay that were Xenons, turned out to be ever so slightly blue. They don't match my 120% ring bulbs...can't find anything that comes close to white...
AO Silver Member

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
I've got some LED sidelights, and have started to get 'check front left/ right' sidelight' dead bulb warnings if I leave the sidelights switched on at the stalk (but not 'on on') when I turn off the ignition, if I have them off, I don't seem to get the error.
I had a look at them and whilst they are still working, a couple of the LED's have stopped. Has anyone else found this? Or just something I should live with?
(Post Link) post #649 of 821 Old 08-09-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Chances are your not generating enough "load" to keep the canbus happy due to a failed resistor. Its quite common on these cheap leds. just buy a new set and swap them out.
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Just installed the "option 1" sidelights into the Brera and they look great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (98.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by AndyB2801; 09-09-14 at 10:27.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds