LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 25 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

(Post Link) post #601 of 821 Old 23-10-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
The heat is a big concern. those fans will do nothing as the headlights are sealed so no airflow!! If the headlights were modified to have fans in a push / pull config to create an actual airflow through the unit then they might be ok but thats a whole different project!

I actually have 2 x LED drivers with 30w COB leds here that I bought with the intention of making my own main beam as part of Project Halo, howver the heatsinks that came with the LEDs are 6" in diameter!!! they are brighter than HIDs though:

POWER LED 100W 50W 30W 20W 10W 100Watt 50Watt 30Watt 20Watt 10Watt - YouTube

if they were 30 or 40 quid I might pick up a set and see how they fair but for 90 quid its a bit of a gamble that they wont melt the headlights

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Toliman
There is plenty of room on the Main beam to fit the LED bulbs.

These will not fit in the dip as the diameter of the bulb is to big. Leave it with me and I'll give you a honest review.

The heat issue may be something or nothing as my thinking is how often do you drive around on full beam
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
What I learnt about replacing the boot lights in a sportwagon:

1) Bulbs are likely to disappear into the void. I lost both the original bulbs whilst trying to get them out. I would have lost one of the LEDs had I not done the following....

2) A piece of thread superglued onto the bulb housing means that you can retrieve them if they drop into the void.

3) I think the size of the bulbs in the SW is 39mm not 42mm. It was an incredibly tight fit and only worked by having the bulb wedged in at an angle. You can't tell this once the cover is back on.

4) The bulbs are very bright and if, when you are attempting to replace them, the boot light is 'on', you dazzle yourself every time the bulb makes contact!

5) They make a big difference, and I am very pleased with the result.

These are the bulbs I used, I would recommend measuring your old bulb before ordering as it was quite a firkle with the 42mm ones.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Festoon-42...ht_4296wt_1138
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Bit confused, was looking to get some tail lights, are these available as canbus too, or is this not needed?
cheers
(Post Link) post #605 of 821 Old 24-10-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
yup, tail lights are in the canbus check system so you need friendly ones. Check out this guide for what types you need:

Jabablog » Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
i reckon i may try the 24's next... and low and behold the dash warning came up for one of my side's this morning whilst driving through the monsoon weather so no better time to change
24's installed tonight replacing 8's. The colour is almost identical just brighter so im a happy bunny. They were a ***** to fit and needed rubbing down in order to fit.
(Post Link) post #607 of 821 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I think its fair to say that despite the occasional canbus issue (which can be solved with the in-line resistors you can buy) the 24's are by far the best LEDs for the sidelight we have ever come across that fit (kinda)
AO Member

County: Bratislava
Hi guys,
I“ve got a problem. Several weeks ago I have posted a message in this topic that I have succesfully installed 13 LED T10 canbus bulbs to my side lamps. However today I realized that they are both broken and part with LEDs fell off and its now inside the lamp
Can anybody help me how to remove it from lamp? Do I need to remove whole lamp? Any ideas what could cause their braking? Btw: i know its strange, as Leds arent making any heat, but it looks to me like melted and bulb went a bit brownish.
see attached photo ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Im looking forward for quick reply with advice how to easily get rid of that broken piece from my lamp.
Thanks for help !!!
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
One way is to get some thin tubing and tape it onto the end of a vacuum cleaner hose. Remove indicator light and insert the tube into the housing and suck up the debris.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
I had those and mine burnt out too. I think the resistors run far too hot and the soldered connections give up.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
(Post Link) post #611 of 821 Old 12-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Yup best guess is that a resistor fell off allowing too much current to the LED's which burnt them out. LEDs do get hot and melt when too much current goes through them!
(Post Link) post #612 of 821 Old 12-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Removal methods are well documented in this thread but as Alfa.Romeo said, use a vacum cleaner OR a small straw / stick with a sticky pad on the end and go through the indicator hole as its big enough to get at it.
AO Member

Thanks a lot. At least im now much wiser about LEDs. I will try those. Do you guys have any idea if the same thing with 'burning' can happen also with 9 LEDs, or different 13 LEDs? Or should I finally get those 24 LEDs to side lamps?
(Post Link) post #614 of 821 Old 13-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
It can happen to any LED if the resistors fall off. Different designs of LED have different positions of resistor that are more robust than others.
AO Member

Thanks again for advices. I have removed them successfully today, it was really a pain in the ...., but after half hour of fighting, I won.
AO Member

County: Essex
Hi Guys ,

Recently got some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3304491087...84.m1439.l2649 to replace blown sidelight bulbs , alls been well for a month or so until this morning i had a check front sidelight bulb warning , strange all working , no other bulbs out , taken me to this evening to realise that with all lights turned off my offside front sidelight is still on , any ideas ? thanks in advance
(Post Link) post #617 of 821 Old 17-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Common fault, documented in this thread a few times. The resistors have failed and it s not creating enough load to keep the canbus light check system happy. get a replacement from your seller.
AO Member

County: Essex
Thanks jay for the quick response ,

new set ordered .

cheers .
(Post Link) post #619 of 821 Old 21-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Sidelight update

So I know all you fellow LED heads are still struggling with the sidelight issue. You either love the 8LED sides or the 13's or the 24's but have probably had at least one failure or canbus error using them. This is most easily fixed using the in-line resistors I posted in here ages ago so grab a set if you don't have them yet.

As part of Project Halo I have been looking into updating the sidelight LEDs to a more modern option and in my voyage of discovery came across these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811594903...84.m1439.l2649

They are the new style COB type LEDs which are much more powerful and better made than the older style LEDs. COB (Chip on Board) highly efficient and means brighter / better lights for us

These units have a total of 24 individual LED elements located inside 2 major solid state sections, mounted on opposite sides offering true 360 degree light output and no forward firing light which makes them ideal for the job of sidelights. They are rated at 10w so that's a lot of light output:

20131121_123829_resize.jpg 20131121_123854_resize.jpg

Now for the bad news... They fit, but only just! They only go in one way, and that is about 35 degrees off centre in line with the cut out on the back of the bulb holder for the sidelights. I struggled to get them in with the headlights on the bench, so personally I think trying to do this while they are on the car is going to be a big health and safety issue! You will definitely cut your hands to shreds, swear you heart out and eventually take a hammer to them so maybe this is something to do with the lights off the car instead

Well, I thought I would offer you all another option, but one for the brave of heart or small of hand! lol
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Guys I've been struggling to change my main beam bulbs
Could you please give me some advice on how to do it?
(Post Link) post #621 of 821 Old 21-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
go to halfords. they employ children with small hands. it makes the world of difference.
(Post Link) post #622 of 821 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
So.....

H7 LED Main beams have been the stuff of dreams for many of us for some time now so I bit the bullet when I put my Project Halo UK lights on and ordered up a set of the 50w Cree LED H7's posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-50W-CRE...d=554344819184

They are a comprehensive kit with LED drivers (like a HID Ballast) that produces the required voltage to drive such powerful LEDs and they even come with small cooling fans to help keep them cool. They are expensive though so you are looking at around £90 for a set!

The first thing to say is they don't fit in the driving beam location as they are too big so they are only viable for main beam. The second thing to say is that while they are brighter than a H7 Halogen bulb they produce a heavily diffused beam pattern due to the way light is output from them, so you do not get a long throw distant spot like a normal halogen.

I would like to caveat that last statement by saying that these have been installed directly into a development set of Project Halo lights so this could also be an issue related to that project rather than specific to this. When I get the lights off the car again I will try standard H7s in the Halo lights to make sure that is not an issue with the Halo's vs the H7 LEDs.

I am yet to test them to the point of determining if this is a deal breaker or not, but they certainly are the brightest LED H7's on the market by a long way, so if you are intent on colour matching your HIDs these are the ones to use.

20131127_095401.jpg

In the picture above the left hand light as you look at the image is using a H7 55w 6000K HID, LED side & Halfords +50% H7 main beam. The right side uses the same H7 55w 6000K HID, a newer style COB Sidelight LED and the 50w CREE H7.

The difference is quite obvious!

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 30-11-13 at 20:49.
(Post Link) post #623 of 821 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Sidelight update

So I know all you fellow LED heads are still struggling with the sidelight issue. You either love the 8LED sides or the 13's or the 24's but have probably had at least one failure or canbus error using them. This is most easily fixed using the in-line resistors I posted in here ages ago so grab a set if you don't have them yet.

As part of Project Halo I have been looking into updating the sidelight LEDs to a more modern option and in my voyage of discovery came across these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811594903...84.m1439.l2649

They are the new style COB type LEDs which are much more powerful and better made than the older style LEDs. COB (Chip on Board) highly efficient and means brighter / better lights for us

These units have a total of 24 individual LED elements located inside 2 major solid state sections, mounted on opposite sides offering true 360 degree light output and no forward firing light which makes them ideal for the job of sidelights. They are rated at 10w so that's a lot of light output:

Attachment 246689 Attachment 246697

Now for the bad news... They fit, but only just! They only go in one way, and that is about 35 degrees off centre in line with the cut out on the back of the bulb holder for the sidelights. I struggled to get them in with the headlights on the bench, so personally I think trying to do this while they are on the car is going to be a big health and safety issue! You will definitely cut your hands to shreds, swear you heart out and eventually take a hammer to them so maybe this is something to do with the lights off the car instead

Well, I thought I would offer you all another option, but one for the brave of heart or small of hand! lol

Some feedback on these COB LEDs:

I don't like them....

...I'll qualify that opinion slightly though! I like the colour, in fact its as spot on as we have ever seen. I like the fact they put the light out sideways so no forward firing light at all which makes them perfect at lighting the reflector housing very well. They fit, just, with a bit of a faff. So what I don't like is their length. They are too long, so long that they cause a bit of a problem. they protrude so far into the housing that they touch the reflectors and actually limit the vertical adjustment of the headlight!

If your car is stock Ti or Lusso height this wont be an issue as they don't stop it going higher that it should for you, but if your car is lower than a Ti, like mine is, you need to get the beam a bit higher and that makes these LEDs a problem.

Don't get me wrong, its pretty much borderline, but it is a problem that I need to let you all know about before you order them from China!

In terms of fitting them, I found using the additional resistors we posted about ages ago in this thread is very useful as you can tape the bulbs to the resistors to give you greater control over installation and removal. To get them out whilst installed in the car I just find the resistor and give it a tug and they come out lock, stock.

20131127_094523.jpg

So to summarise, right brightness, right colour, too damn long!
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Some feedback on these COB LEDs:

I don't like them....

...I'll qualify that opinion slightly though! I like the colour, in fact its as spot on as we have ever seen. I like the fact they put the light out sideways so no forward firing light at all which makes them perfect at lighting the reflector housing very well. They fit, just, with a bit of a faff. So what I don't like is their length. They are too long, so long that they cause a bit of a problem. they protrude so far into the housing that they touch the reflectors and actually limit the vertical adjustment of the headlight!

If your car is stock Ti or Lusso height this wont be an issue as they don't stop it going higher that it should for you, but if your car is lower than a Ti, like mine is, you need to get the beam a bit higher and that makes these LEDs a problem.

Don't get me wrong, its pretty much borderline, but it is a problem that I need to let you all know about before you order them from China!

In terms of fitting them, I found using the additional resistors we posted about ages ago in this thread is very useful as you can tape the bulbs to the resistors to give you greater control over installation and removal. To get them out whilst installed in the car I just find the resistor and give it a tug and they come out lock, stock.

Attachment 251169

So to summarise, right brightness, right colour, too damn long!

I've recently bought a set of these and will attempt to fit them in the next few days. Can you please clarify how they go in, I noticed you mention putting them in at an angle on your original post on them.
I'm going to attempt to fit them whilst the headlights are in the car but if I struggle (which i think I will!) I will take the headlights out and do them. If I need to do this, can somebody help with a quick guide in taking the headlights out.

Thanks
(Post Link) post #625 of 821 Old 05-01-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Its hard to explain Shaz, as mentioned its about 45 degrees from centre, although finding centre usually requires that you be able to see inside the headlight, which in my case required the headlight out of the car.

I seriously wouldn't recommend trying to fit these COB bulbs into the headlights while they are on the car unless you like a challenge!

I have taken mine out now and gone back to the last set of bulbs I was using.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds