LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 22 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
sargent my LEDs in the reg plate are still fine. (As are all the others)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rjc_147

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargent View Post
One of my numberplate LED's has just failed again. They don't seem to last very long.

Any update of any alternatives or is this just the norm?
LED's are not very good at handling voltage transients or reverse polarity.
They have to be protected, that's why some of the cheaper unit's fail early on.
The single most common failure of LED's is excessive heat so if too much current is passed through them and the heat is not dissipated they can die.

(Post Link) post #528 of 821 Old 18-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Hello fellow LED Heads....... time for a brief but important update.

Many of you have complained about the side light LED options due to colour and failures, so I have taken it upon myself to try yet another combination for us. Meet the new style, single LED w5w:
IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0019.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906849160...84.m1497.l2649

It has a 10mm diameter so it fits through the hole in our headlights easily without modifications and is very bright as its a much larger single LED with a lens. This does mean the light is more directional than we would like in the reflector housing but it does a reasonable job of bouncing around inside the unit and lighting it all up as well as the others with side facing LED's. The main problem though is it is NOT CANbus friendly so its going to trigger the warnings unless we add load to it, so I dug around and found an awesome, cheap set of load resistors to solve the problem:
IMG_0013.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2709981303...84.m1497.l2649

I installed them in the car tonight and they work great. They are less blue than the 24LED sides, but not as yellow as the 8 LED sides, so they are very much in the "cool white" 6000K colour range. Below you can see them side by side with the 24 LED ones: (left = new single LED, right = older 24 LED ones)
side by side.jpg

Overall effect:
IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0027.jpg

Total investment 12, its up to you, but I like them and they seem better built than the others we have tried. time will tell.

Merry Christmas!!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Brasov

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

I can get hold of a cheap pair of amber Cree Q5 with SMDs, do I need to add a resistor or alter the flasher relay if I want to use them as rear turn lights?

I tried to search, but this thread is huge and the information is spread in a million posts.
(Post Link) post #530 of 821 Old 21-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Yes you will need resistors as the flasher is handled by the computer not a relay in our cars.

I wrote a howto guide here: Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

Awesome guide, thanks!
Don't those resistors heat up like hell?
(Post Link) post #532 of 821 Old 21-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Yes, which is why I recommend using some 3M Heat sink double sided sticky tape to secure them against the body shell toasty!
AO Member

Just wanted to share my work on the Front Fogs in this thread too:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...d-upgrade.html
(Post Link) post #534 of 821 Old 21-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Good work mate. I had considered LED fogs but was concerned about the significant drop in Lumins which is why I embraced the yellow and went all "euro DTM style" on them and added 100w rainbow yellow H1's and yellow Laminex tint
IMG_0120.jpg
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Yes, which is why I recommend using some 3M Heat sink double sided sticky tape to secure them against the body shell toasty!
I'll pass then... It gets as hot as 45C here in summer
(Post Link) post #536 of 821 Old 21-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
The 50w Wire wound ones attached to the shell wont overheat to the point they could cause a problem. They are more than capable of dissipating the heat generated effectively and attaching them to the shell means that they get a very large heat sink to help them work. They don't get any hotter than the filament bulb your taking out
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Mmmhhhh...very nice thread Jaba!

Since I'm beginning to struggle to mod things on my Brera my attention has turned to the ridiculous underpowered yellow lights...
I had a pair of HID's on the workbench which 'jumped' onto the car whilst I was waiting for the wife to finish packing our holiday suitcase...

The headlights are looking good making everything else look bad...good thing I decided to see what you were up to...

It's going to be a long 10 days of no modding whatsoever....

Last edited by Clogz; 22-12-12 at 09:16.
(Post Link) post #538 of 821 Old 22-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Hello Clogz, thanks for stopping by! I think you need to turn your attention back to styling now you have one of the fastest breras in town

The new style LED sides & resistors I detailed a few posts back are a good choice for your sides, and then don't forget the interior for a very quick and easy mood change inside the beast.

Main beams are still a work in progress as no suitable halogens exist to match the HID's and LED H7's are no where near usable as mains. Fogs can either be LED (reduced power) or Go yellow like I did just to be different..... although you can get a LAMINEX tint that can change halogen coloured light to closer to the HID ones, but I havnt tried it yet. I further option, given HIDs are so cheap now is to put a set of H1 HID's in the fogs, but that personally concerns me due to the reflector style unit and heat buildup.

either way, all your LED modding tips are in here somewhere, so get digging !!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1405
County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Hello Clogz, thanks for stopping by! I think you need to turn your attention back to styling now you have one of the fastest breras in town

The new style LED sides & resistors I detailed a few posts back are a good choice for your sides, and then don't forget the interior for a very quick and easy mood change inside the beast.

Main beams are still a work in progress as no suitable halogens exist to match the HID's and LED H7's are no where near usable as mains. Fogs can either be LED (reduced power) or Go yellow like I did just to be different..... although you can get a LAMINEX tint that can change halogen coloured light to closer to the HID ones, but I havnt tried it yet. I further option, given HIDs are so cheap now is to put a set of H1 HID's in the fogs, but that personally concerns me due to the reflector style unit and heat buildup.

either way, all your LED modding tips are in here somewhere, so get digging !!
Cheers Jaba,

I'll go back a few pages and do some homework... Not much else to do here in France....
I suspect I'll drop you a pm for some stuff...

AO Member

Jay

I've been pondering these for the mains.
They're probably not gonna be as bright but threy're for flashing really. As with HIDs overpower the mains anyhow.

I'm also unsure whether to try these as stop / tails. I keep meaning to email the seller to see if they are true stop / tail bulbs that increase in brightness when you put your foot on the brake.
(Post Link) post #541 of 821 Old 22-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
The H7 mains look interesting, as the 20W + CREE type LED combination will be pretty dam bright, but whether or not its brighter than a stock halogen is TBD, if you buy them let us know how they work out as I would be tempted to try them myself!! I have a 7w CREE flash light that is as powerful as my old mag-light so a few of these in a housing is an interesting concept! The main problem I see is the reflectors are designed to have light come out evenly and they wont from this style light as the surface mount CREE LED's emit a square focussed beam of light.

The same style lights for the rear however is a bad idea. That much brightness coming our your backside is going to cause an accident!! It would be like running with fogs on permanently!!!

I cant vouch for them, but something like these should be ok. The Red Flux LED's are used in the High level brakelight on the Sportwagon (20 of them) to give you a frame of reference for the brightness. So 15 per tail light (4) running half power on tail and full on stop (2) should be on par with stock filament bulbs. LED's are more efficient at light output that a filament bulb, so the wattage doesn't match.... 21w type 1157 filament bulbs are dimmer than the 13w SMD LED ones I used. The main problem with these type of bulbs is how they have been configured to differ the luminosity between tail & stop. some have very small differences which essentially means your stop lights are pointless. Its a bit of trial and error to see, so its better if they are cheaper
(Post Link) post #542 of 821 Old 22-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
These stop/tail lights I can vouch for as they are what I use and they are literally perfect

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-RED-Ear...item3f1888caf6
AO Member

Cool but I thought you had Cree's in the stop / tails?

I assume they still need the additional resistance load as they're not Canbus? I've been trying to avoid adding the resistors but I'm gonna have to bite-the-bullet sooner or later!
I've played with others for the stop / tails in the past but have not been happy with them, they were very much like your example

I have the same concern as you about the main beam housing, the diffuser in the middle may really affect the beam. I'll have a dig around for other suppliers I don't fancy having to return them to China!

I of course blame you for my new expensive LED fascination
(Post Link) post #544 of 821 Old 22-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
hahah, yeah, I only use the CREE type bulbs in specific locations, i.e. Fog, Reverse & Indicators. Every bulb is matched to the luminosity of the original it replaced and considers the design of the reflector housing and the use. This is taken from my write-up as the parts list:

The parts you need for this conversion are as follows:

4 x Type 380 (1157) RED 13-LED Superlux [BAY15D,380,1157,P21/5w] 12v (Positions 5,6,7&8)
1 x Type 382 CREE Q5 12V/24V HIGH POWER LED BULB for the reverse light (Position 8 )
1 x Type 382/P21W 5W CREE Q5 RED LED BULB for the fog light (Position 6)
2 x CANBUS Type 501/W5W/T10 24 LED Bulbs for the front side lights (Positions 1&2)
2 x CANBUS Type 501/W5W/T10 4 LED Bulbs for the numberplate lights (Position 10 )
4 x BAU15s 7507 Q5+12SMD=7W Brake/Signal Light 150 LED Bulbs Amber/Yellow PY21W for the front and rear indicators (Positions 1,2,5&7)
2 x 5 SMD LED AMBER ORANGE INDICATOR SIGNAL TURNING SIDE LIGHT BULB T10 W5W 501 for the side repeaters (Positions 3&4)
11 x 50w 10 ohm Aluminium clad wire wound resistors
2 x 25w 47 ohm Aluminium clad wire wound resistors
2 x 330 ohm 0.6w metal resistors
Lots of wire & plenty of heat shrink wrap
10 x Red Scotch clips
8 x Red 3mm male spade terminals
8 x Red 3mm female spade terminals
Estimated Cost: 170-200

Required Tools:

Soldering iron
Solder
Flux paste
Helping hands
Hot glue gun

I apologise for leading you all a stray on this one, but it does look good once its done!
AO Member

Thanks for the quick update but I'm already well on the way! All I have to go now is the stop / tails, indicators and main beam. It has been such fun and looks so good! I've also been doing by best not to think how much I spent on bulbs :P

If anyone else follows this thread and has any doubts, don't!! It's sooo worth it, we drive beautiful cars this just enhances their looks
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
After my car got smashed I've lost my old LEDS, somehow I picked up some 17SMD versions of these (basically just longer) before:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2707919539...d=431928668048

Edit: My mistake, were actually 13SMD, however, they were longer. My new ones are shorter, and thus closer to the length of the originally bulb, so should work with the reflectors better.

I can't find them anywhere now, but was wondering what diameter the light housing opening size was if I wanted to get some of the LEDS with even more LEDS on,

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Last edited by giblets46; 28-12-12 at 15:44.
(Post Link) post #547 of 821 Old 28-12-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
you wont get anything wider than 10mm in without some serious agro
Lucky Lui

Quick question, can I replace my side lights with LED501HPW without doing anything other than plugging it in.
I got these 12v 15xLED W5W's today from Halfords and thought they might work better than the side lights currently installed. Will these dull out the indicators.

(Post Link) post #549 of 821 Old 26-01-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
It takes a lot of power to dull out the indicators!!! Chances are the LED's you bought, unless advertised as Canbus friendly, will need load resistors.
Lucky Lui

Quote:
It takes a lot of power to dull out the indicators!!! Chances are the LED's you bought, unless advertised as Canbus friendly, will need load resistors.
Thanks Jaba, I guess I'll only know once I fit them.
Will it cause any issues other than display warnings?

Regards
Luigi

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds