LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 21 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

(Post Link) post #501 of 821 Old 07-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Great write-up liam, glad we could all be of service on the r&d front!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

I was actually amazed at the ease of changing the bulbs. Had no drama's at all with dropping anything into the lighting housing, in fact, I'm not entirely sure how you could?

Was a little gutted to drop the bulb into the undertray, I attempted to poke it with a bamboo stick out of a hole in the tray, and then lost sight of it all together, wonderful.

Again, massive thanks, would not have dared try it alone.

Liam
AO Member

County: Mazowieckie

Member car:

Brera V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Spotted this video on youtube:

Looks like the Phillips Diamond Vision 5000K Halgen H7 bulbs might be a good option for main beam:

[YOUTUBE]_FQ2LQrEKAU[/YOUTUBE]
Jay,
Where are you going to get those from? I read on many forums that there is lots of fakes on the market! The reason is that those are illegal to use in Europe, USA and many other countries. They are just too bright
The only safe source I found would be Australia or Japan. But I don't know anyone there.
Any ideas how to get them?
(Post Link) post #504 of 821 Old 09-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I haven't bothered to try and get any yet as I am pretty happy with the lighting now and despite the colour difference on main beam, its so hard to change them I am just going to live with it
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

So, after the success of the Side Lights...I have moved on to the interior. Having 3 weeks off (having dodged the Olympics) I thought I would get a bit brave, and so far, so good.

I didn't want to order the bulbs and find I couldn't get the trim off, and being as the car is SORN'ed, who cares if the interior lights are left unplugged for a few days.

So, Today I removed the trim for the Front and Rear Courtesy Lights, and ordered the recommended bulbs from the Opening Post.

Was, admittedly, a real pain and at a good hour of fighting to get the trim off, but it is off now, and ready to go when the bulbs arrive.

Watch this space.

Cheers,
Liam
(Post Link) post #507 of 821 Old 21-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Great work Liam, lets see some pics when you get it all sorted
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

I must say Jay, I am holding you entirely responsible for me part dismantling my car every other weekend. However, I sat in a friend's Audi A1 the other day, which has LED interior as part of its spec and looked excelllent in the dark.

Liam
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Jay is a right pain he's cost be a fortune! But the LEDs and HIDs are worth it
(Post Link) post #510 of 821 Old 21-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I only see these gripes as compliments... owning an alfa is a journey into obsession and madness, all i have done is shown you an easy start to your journey

Enjoy the modding, its a slippery slope!!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Jay, I have been at it again. And success, again!

So, 2 Festoon (Front Courtesy and Boot) and 4 of the 501's stated on your Blog to fit the Front and rear Courtesy arrived today, its 26 Degrees C outside, I had already Hammerited the Wheel Nuts and were waiting for them to dry, so thought i would get on with it.

Had already removed the F and R Courtesy light trim piece the other day in eager anticipation of the Bulb's arrival.

Started with the Rear, removed the two bulbs, burnt my hand on the hot filament like a true numpty, slotted in the LED's and moved on to the front.

Removed that little casing that covers the Central Bulb, just unclips, no drama's at all. Took out all 3 Bulbs and replaced with the LED ones.

Below (hopefully) is a contrast photo between the Old bulb (Bottom of Shot) and the New LED Bulb (Top of Shot) - Bear in mind this photo was taken in pure Golden British Sunshine, and having attempted to simulate darkness using a towel, I can honestly say the investment is well worth it.

I now have a sole Festoon Bulb destined for the Boot, but that can wait till tomorrow...I have 3 weeks off, why have all the fun in one day?

I shall be returning to the scene of my madness later on, and will take some better quality shots of what is a truly wonderful way to spend my wage.

Cheers,
Liam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lights.jpg (28.0 KB, 36 views)
(Post Link) post #512 of 821 Old 26-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Good update mate, the contrast pic really brings home the colour change. Its a much nicer place to be at night
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
How easy is it to remove the light clusters? Id love to do this but worried im going to break something and regret ever starting it.
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Do the LEDs still dim down like the standard bulbs do when the interior lights fade out?
(Post Link) post #515 of 821 Old 26-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
Do the LEDs still dim down like the standard bulbs do when the interior lights fade out?
Yes, they work as normal.
(Post Link) post #516 of 821 Old 26-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 159_kid View Post
How easy is it to remove the light clusters? Id love to do this but worried im going to break something and regret ever starting it.
Its a fiddle but not impossible!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
I used a standard knife you might eat your tea with (a blunt one, but a knife all the same). Starting with the rear, I unclipped the left side first, and the right near enough fell into my hands.

Just be aware that it will need some push and pull. But I found the parts to be quite strong, I am not the most patient of guys and ended up purely pulling at it and it never looked like breaking.

As for replacing the bulbs, the 2 at the rear and left and right ones in the front simply rotate out of the slot, take the bulb out, slide the LED in. Really that easy.

As for the centre courtesy light, it cannot be accessed without removing a plastic case, but again, it is so easy, just unclips.

It is an excellent and simple couple of hours of your time. The most challenging is getting the initial trim piece off, but it is plain sailing after that.

Today's job, the boot!

Liam
(Post Link) post #518 of 821 Old 29-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Forgot to mention, I have a full "how-to" guide on the interior here just in case you missed it. As Liam says, its not too hard, just a fiddle.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Thanks for the tips liam / jay. Ill be sure to purchase some leds soon and upgrade my interior bulbs
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

It really is that easy. I have ordered my final interior LED's for the puddles and glove box. The only, and I mean only, difficult part to the whole process was removing the Front panel for the courtesy lights. Being as the Nav kind of bit has to come off with it, which I didn't realise at first. But, after realising that, it was reasonably easy again.

I shall take some proper photos once all complete, get the digi camera out!

Liam
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Just installed mine, was a pig of a job! All I can say is I am glad I read this thread, the tip about removing the indicator bulb to remove the LED from inside the light was a godsend!
Basically, one of the wires for the passenger side light is totally jammed behind something, I tried a little gentle persuassion, but it wasn't coming out (not brave enough to try a proper yank for fear of breaking it off!). So the little finger handle thing only had about 2-3cm of movement.
So I had to try and insert the LED totally blind (i.e the bulb socket was hidden in the light housing), thought I had it in , but it fell inside. argghhh!

Other than that, I am chuffed with the result, you could hardly tell the sidelights were on before. I have the 13LED 6000K ones and don't think they look blue at all.

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Thought i'd put this in, thanks to the lighting recommendations posted in this thread, my front end has been upgraded. Im very happy witht the outcome.

Cheers all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1108.jpg (63.5 KB, 32 views)
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Forgot to mention, I have a full "how-to" guide on the interior here just in case you missed it. As Liam says, its not too hard, just a fiddle.
Also in that guide he's recommended a great kit called bojo something. If you get that out, and removing trims see easy...
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

One of my numberplate LED's has just failed again. They don't seem to last very long.

Any update of any alternatives or is this just the norm?
(Post Link) post #525 of 821 Old 15-09-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I have not suffered any failures in the smaller 4 LED units, or the other T10's in the car, with the exception of the 8 LED T10s in the sidelights, but that was only 1, once. I think their is a massive quality control issue with the manufacture of the parts so you do get some duff ones from time to time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds