LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

Bugaboo

DG good luck!
Don, any news on the high beam bulbs? No pressure, just a routine check

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Awesome work Jay!! Fair play
AO Member

County: Fife
I've lost track of time completely! Just gone thu this whole thread and my head is bursting. Ok. So I think it's w5w/501's for the Puddles and 42mm Festoon with some 501's for the cabin but please someone tell me there is a much brighter than standard bulb for the indicators without talking about and changing resistors, ohms, watts and currents....I just want stronger like for like (especially for the fronts) with the 'flashing' not effected. and p.s. - I don't do soldering! ahah. Give me some indicator advice! ta.
(Post Link) post #479 of 821 Old 05-05-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventino View Post
I've lost track of time completely! Just gone thu this whole thread and my head is bursting. Ok. So I think it's w5w/501's for the Puddles and 42mm Festoon with some 501's for the cabin but please someone tell me there is a much brighter than standard bulb for the indicators without talking about and changing resistors, ohms, watts and currents....I just want stronger like for like (especially for the fronts) with the 'flashing' not effected. and p.s. - I don't do soldering! ahah. Give me some indicator advice! ta.
Sorry mate, even the Can-BUS ones typically give the faster flash issue on the indicator circuit as the load on the circuit is part of the equation. The relay would need changing to one that supports LEDs and I don't know 1) where it is and 2) what type it is!!

Theoretically, one of these would do the job, but no idea which

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...=1453&bih=1023

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
(Post Link) post #480 of 821 Old 14-05-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Spotted this video on youtube:

Looks like the Phillips Diamond Vision 5000K Halgen H7 bulbs might be a good option for main beam:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

2001 166 TS 2.0

Just to add to the loom plug in option;

I've found that, on the 166 at least, these little fellas from Maplins are almost the perfect size to fit into the connectors on the back of all the bulb holders (disconnect bulb holder from the loom, slot your loom insert in with these male and female connectors, secure with some tape)

Miniature Male Spade Connector 10 pack : Crimp Terminals : Maplin Electronics
Miniature Female Spade Connector 10 pack : Crimp Terminals : Maplin Electronics

They just require a crimping tool to connect to your loom insert.

V.
(Post Link) post #482 of 821 Old 08-06-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Hi V, these are the exact ones I used. Although to stop vibrations rattling them loose I suggest you fill the space around them with Hot Glue. Its a good insulator and will hold them in place, but is easy enough to get rid of if you want to go back to stock at some stage.

So you got some pics for us then yet?
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Hey J,

Thanks for the awesome thread, I've been following with interest for some months now! You've inspired me to do some minor mods on my Brera that I'd never have attempted without your 'guidance'!

However I've hit a sticking point, and it looks like a familiar issue: unable to get compatible LED indicator bulbs that don't make the CANBUS system go nuts! I've tried a few eBay sellers with no joy then as a last-ditch attempt splashed some cash (£30 per pair!) on some 'ultimate' 92-LED units from HIDS4U.co.uk, which they assured me "have been fitted to many Alfas with no problems".

When installed they look awesome but sod's law, they exhibit the same problem as the other LED bulbs I've tried: externally they work fine, but the indicator 'click' in the cockpit goes like crazy and the computer is telling me my indicators are all bust! I've gone back to HIDS4U and they've said I need to replace the indicator relay for an "LED compatible one'.

So I guess the same question as that posed by juventino - where is that relay?

Any help or advice gratefully received!
(Post Link) post #484 of 821 Old 21-06-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Hi mate, glad to have helped in some way!

Ok, so the reality is I don't know what the relay type is we would need, so the only solution we have to the indicator issue is to add the additional load that is removed. This stops the body computer thinking the bulbs are blown and going nuts. Its genuinely not difficult to do and you can even buy the resistor sets from companies like HIDS4U to save you having to solder some up yourself (but you pay about 6-10 times as much for the privilege).

Just grab one of the bulbs you want to use and measure its current draw and take a note of how many amps it is, then use an ohms law calculator to figure out the size of the resitor you need to add the missing amps from the stock bulb, then either order a set off of fleebay or from HIDS4U, or get them from maplin/Rapid/RS etc and make em up yourself. Its a two second scotch clip onto the Positive and Negative feed to the indicators, and all is well with the world again!

In case you missed it, I did write up the full external LED conversion and the full internal LED conversion for those interested in following in my footsteps, to save some time and hassle, including what to buy, where from, expected costs and step by step installation and manufacturing guides.

Let me know if you need any help with how to do what I have said, and if you need some help choosing which resistors etc, just paste the amps the LEDs you chose measure at here and I will make a suggestion for you.

Good luck!
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Okay, so I have read this thread and skimmed over it a couple of times int he past couple of weeks. At the weekend when I was home I had a first look at the 159 in the dark, with the lights on. Was a near instant decision, I want to put LED Sidelight's and HID's in.

Starting with the sidelights, the HID's can come a little later.

Below is a quote from the original, and might I add near brilliant, opening post. I took out the third option, as it appeared to have reported problems with the CANBUS system and I would rather keep the risk as minimal as possible, with greater gains.

So, two questions really.

If anyone has fitted either of the two, any problems?

And secondly, and if I am honest more importantly, how easy are they to fit? I haven't had a properly good look at the lighting system yet, is it just a case of out with the old and pop in the new? Does any modification required to the lighting housing or any of the products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post

Any advice is massively appreciated, I am not a massively technical person, so if you start throwing Ohm's at me I will be lost in an instant, but all help is welcome, naturally.

Cheers,
Liam
(Post Link) post #486 of 821 Old 02-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
option 1 if your after 4500K or 5000K HID's and Option 2 if your after 6000K or higher.

In terms of fitting, its fiddly, but easy.

there is a little guide on my write-up of the full conversion.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Brilliant, that narrows it down a little. had a look at the colour spectrum on the internet. Personally, I think I will go for Option 2, I think the marginal blue tint looks really smart, without being over the top.

Read through your blog (the entirety of it in the end, and watched the video, that cylon brake light looks awesome by the way).

You state that only the 24LED require a modification to avoid the CANBUS error, can I assume that Option 2 is merely a remove old, replace with new and away I go?

Cheers again,
Liam
(Post Link) post #488 of 821 Old 02-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Yeah that's it, Option 1 and 2 go straight in, The 24 LED units needed a little extra help

PS, I am happy to make cylons for anyone that wants one, for a nominal fee of course!

Good luck with the upgrade.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Wonderful, clicking buy as soon as I post this.

Just out of casual interest, how much are you looking? Sure there would be interest, I think it looks just too damn cool (I'm 19, I'm aloud to think that OTT light systems are cool). Mind you, sure there are legality issues with that 3rd Brake Light having such fancy effects?

Thanks again for the advice, if I have any dramas and/or loose fingers in the process, I shall be sure to post on here.

The likelihood of injury is quite high, I only lost the top inch of my left middle finger in a bridging accident 6 months ago, fortunately it has grown back, but still, I attract accidents i'm sure.

Cheers,
Liam
(Post Link) post #490 of 821 Old 02-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I could be tempted to knock one up for offers around 80 quid. Its a time consuming endeavour, but if I can get enough cash though selling a few to buy my next mod, I would be tempted to do it! Its a plug and play mod, no messing, and has a bypass feature that you can enable through either a switch or a jumper, your choice, in case the rozzers get upset (to date no one has said anything about mine, except a few people you see in the rear view mirror pointing and smiling when it kicks in)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

I take it you are quite an electronically minded guy?

Must say I am tempted, but the majority of my pennies are being directed towards the insurance in August, another portion to food and the remainder to alcohol.

I see how the jumper would work, and the switch for that matter. Certainly a clever design, and an eye catcher at the least.

Sidelights ordered by the way went for Option 2, I'll be fitting them this weekend or next!

Liam
(Post Link) post #492 of 821 Old 03-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamb159 View Post
I take it you are quite an electronically minded guy?
More of a general hobbyist that builds and breaks stuff. That's why the cost is high, each light unit is 100% custom built by hand, no short cuts, so it takes a good couple of weeks labour!!

I could get a prototyping company to build it better and cheaper if I had enough people who wanted one to split the cost, else juts look at the write-up I did on my blog for it and have a go yourself
rjc_147

Quote:
More of a general hobbyist that builds and breaks stuff. That's why the cost is high, each light unit is 100% custom built by hand, no short cuts, so it takes a good couple of weeks labour!!

I could get a prototyping company to build it better and cheaper if I had enough people who wanted one to split the cost, else juts look at the write-up I did on my blog for it and have a go yourself
Create you own PCB mate (I know your busy with other stuff ) it will save you a lot of time in the long run

(Post Link) post #494 of 821 Old 03-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Its on the todo list
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Hi Jay, just a quick note to let you know I visited AFH1 at the weekend and he confirmed that my Brera doesn't have a flasher relay! Apparently the indicators are controlled by the car's central computer...

So I'm off to rummage around your blog and Martin at AFH1 has offered to help with implementing your recommendations.

Cheers mate and keep up the good work!
(Post Link) post #496 of 821 Old 04-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Hi Darrel, that's good feedback. I am working on getting my head around the on board computer systems at the minute to fix some niggles I have, but if I figure all this stuff out, it would be theoretically possible to switch off CANBUS checks across all lighting circuits in the car, removing the need for resistors etc.

Watch this space, I have an OBD cable, and I am not afraid to use it
rjc_147

If anyone can supply me with detailed pictures of the on board body computer circuit board, (to identify the IC's used) or even better the schematics I may be able to find a way of disabling these types of CANBUS errors.

(Post Link) post #498 of 821 Old 05-07-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Will email you RC.
AO Member

County: Mazowieckie

Member car:

Brera V6

Quote:
Hi Darrel, that's good feedback. I am working on getting my head around the on board computer systems at the minute to fix some niggles I have, but if I figure all this stuff out, it would be theoretically possible to switch off CANBUS checks across all lighting circuits in the car, removing the need for resistors etc.

Watch this space, I have an OBD cable, and I am not afraid to use it
This is a VERY GOOD news!!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Sidelight Option 2- Fitting

So, this morning I unwrapped a little packet that had arrived during the week, the sidelights had arrived. Very impressed as I paid £0 for postage, and was willing to wait the 6-8 Days stated, bugt arrived in 4.

Checked the 2 parts over, had been wrapped up in plentiful bubblewrap and all looked well.

Popped the bonnet, removed the driver side bulb. Attempted the driver's side first, as there was more access space to the bulb housing, and as it was my first ever messing round with the Alfa, I thought easiest first made sense.

First bulb out and replaced within a matter of 5 minutes, really easy to do. So, on to the second bulb, removed it, aaaaand that is where I had my first and only problem, dropped the old bulb into the undertray. Bugger!

Cracked on regardless, put in the second bulb.

Obviously, because this is Britain, I had glaring sunshine so simulating darkness for a photo or two was difficult, however I have taken a photo or two which, I think, shows the contrast between the standard side lights and the Option 2 Bulbs.

Will put the photos in to a post when i find the damned cable to connect the phone, but honestly the difference is so glaringly obvious, looks awesome.

Many thanks Jay for the advice, most likely would not have challenged it myself. Next step, HID's.

Cheers,
Liam

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds