LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 19 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

159 Ti 2.2

yes they will still work. You just have to put up with the rude messages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Surrey
Jay, have you found it that bulbs with more LEDs aren't able to be CANBUS error free? i.e. only the ones with smaller amount of LEDs can be made CANBUS error free, but obviously giving poor light output
(Post Link) post #453 of 821 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Hi Don, if anything the more LEDs there are the more likely the load will be closer to the original bulb, that said, the more LEDs we have seen on the small W5W type LEDs the less room there actually is for surface mount resistors so its swings and roundabouts!!

All the LEDs that are can-bus ready have had a certain amount of resistance added to them already, but the specific amount is dependent on space and how much load the manufacture thought was "enough". As all car ECUs are different (not withstanding multiple makes / models using the same gear) there will always be a difference in what the car expected and what the manufacturer added, 9 out of 10 times this will mean no issues, but occasionally, even a can-bus LED is going to throw an error in our cars because it didn't have enough load. take the 24 LED can-bus sidelights we all tried. rated as can-bus friendly, but not friendly enough for our cars.

This is also similar to the issue with the 8 LED sides we saw where after a while, a few of us experienced can-bus errors as some of the surface mount resistors either came loose or failed, resulting in less load than was necessary to keep the ECU happy.

Ultimately, as long as our cars have bulb check systems, LED replacements will need to simulate enough load to keep that system happy or the car will do its job and let us know the bulb has blown. Because of this, I would rather go for the best bulb for the job, i.e the one that gives the best light output (lumens), relative to the bulb it replaced, and the best colour depth desired, and just handle any shortfalls in load with additional resistors.

Hope that helps!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

My thoughts exactly. Find the right bulb that can give the best light output and colour that we want, then sort it with the small addition of a resistor if neccessary

These 26 LED ones that i'm looking at seem to be pretty good, should hopefully have them soon so i'll report back
(Post Link) post #455 of 821 Old 16-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Look what just arrived

Attachment 140306

Quick Bench test:

Original Bulb = 1.77 Amps
New LED Bulb = 0.48 Amps

1.2 Amps to simulate, so the 50w 10ohm resistors I have are perfect to add 1.2Amps of load back into the equation.

Later this week I will make some new loom extensions and fit the indicators to complete my project.

PS, I also have 2 different types of w5w (T10) Amber LEDs due to arrive in the next day or so for the side repeaters.

If this all works out I will write up the entire thread with detailed instructions / links to parts etc for anyone else who wants to do a LED conversion.

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-15 at 09:27.
AO Member

Nice one Jay
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Looking forward to your final updates, Jay. The first post needs a few updates I guess

Last edited by dg170775; 18-04-12 at 09:12.
Bugaboo

Great thread!
Just managed to install all the lighting I wanted. Interior LED's make a HUGE difference and the car has a fresh, crisp, new feel to it now. Not particularly good for sex in the car, since now I can see all the yet unsurfaced zips of any girl that steps inside. The LED puddle lights are like turning a flash-light on to look for a lost set of keys or something.
Still, I left a lot of skin inside them headlights.
As a helpful tip (maybe), I did not opt for the classic HID conversion kit. I found something a little easier to use. It's all inclusive (not sure what that means) This is the one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3207837576...ht_5674wt_1163
I went for the H7 type bulb, 6000K temperature. They are exactly as I want them to be. Just at the border of white and blue, with more than a foot inside the white light country. They don't seem after market at all. The ballast has a screw on the middle, I just drilled a large enough hole in the headlight caps that protect the bulb and attached it with the nut dead on the middle. Looks professional, since all the wires are inside the headlight. The rest, it's common sense wire connecting, nothing fancy. I also went for the 8 led bulbs for the sidelights. First pair: canbus errors. Second pair (good I ordered 2 sets): no errors so all is fine. They seem not too bright, but are visible and the indicator lights are visible too, even in night time. That's all I need. In the rear I replaced just the numberplate lights. I think the regular tail/stop/reverse/fog lights look just fine and there is no point in the hassle. The fog lights got replaced with super mega ultra extra iron man green lantern batman ferrari lamborghini H1 halogen mega white and all that ebay advertising crap. Still look just a bit yellowish in contrast with the xenon kit but I'm not complaining. I only use them in heavy fog and I appreciate more the utility than the looks. Not sure how I feel about drivers that run the fog lights during daylight. Makes the car look stupid and begging for attention. But that's just me!
My question now, fellas is about the high/main beam (not sure how to call it, I'm nor from around here and still get confused with all this dipped terminology crap). Mine are ridiculously yellow compared to the Xenon HID kit. I would have no issues buying another H7 xenon conversion kit for the high beam but in my head this somehow does not add up. My low beam kit takes about 10-20 secs to get to that full white light. If I install one for the high beam and I flash someone to go ahead and overtake a lorry on the motorway, not sure if they would properly light up to their full potential. And I do not plan on keeping them an awful lot on anyway.
So (now I get to that question), what would you recommend as a high beam bulb? I want something white enough to compliment the low beam HID kit. Maybe someone knows. I read all the 19 pages of this thread and not really got my answer, except some pictures of some H7 halogens on a Corsa. My high beam is H7 and I am the proud and sexy owner of a 57 plate 159 1.9 JTDM 16v.
All the best and thanks!
Dinu

(Post Link) post #459 of 821 Old 19-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Hey Bug, that's one hell of a random update, welcome

Well done on your LED conversion, sounds like you got what you wanted out of the equation

The answer to your Main Beam HID question is in this post: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post4744083

And a potential H7 Halogen bulb is being looked at by Smudge in this post: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...your-hids.html

I am leaving my main beams alone after 3 sets of bulbs and pretty much dislocating my thumb each time to change them. Nothing I have tried gets close to the HIDs. One of my projects is to make a H7 LED bulb that has the same or greater output than the HIDs but its way off as I am working on a custom DRL set-up next.

Cheers!
Bugaboo

Jay thanks!
For the thread that sort of created a group for buying some white looking H7 bulbs, I am a couple of days late, since the thread has been closed
I will follow the other one closely and look for some internet alternatives. Will keep you all posted.
All the best!

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaboo View Post
Jay thanks!
For the thread that sort of created a group for buying some white looking H7 bulbs, I am a couple of days late, since the thread has been closed
I will follow the other one closely and look for some internet alternatives. Will keep you all posted.
All the best!
Waiting for admin to grant me the right to help others on this forum

Will update as soon as i receive mine and test them all out
(Post Link) post #462 of 821 Old 21-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I am now 100% LED

...well every bulb in the car is now LED except the vanity mirror & Driving / Mains, so 98% LED, 1% HID & 1% Halogen is more accurate!

I have grabbed some video of all lights in the day, and will grab some later tonight of the same in the dark, then I will pull together a video, and do a full write up on my blog as I am finding this site difficult to deal with the level of content in a single post!

I will then post a link to the write-up and update the first post etc.
Bugaboo

Ok, a little update.

Tried to research some H7 bulbs for the high beam on my 159. Apparently, reviews (of blind people probably) make the Osram nightbreaker plus incredibly super white great product mega light and whatever. I also have Osrams on my high beam, bt not nightbreakr plus. Went ahead and bought 2 from my local stockist.
Fitted the right hand side. Turned high beam on. Same ****, excuse my french. No difference whatsoever in colour over my stock bulbs. Same yellow ****-ish colour. Just left them like that. I am tired of leaving skin inside the headlights anyway. Will wait for a comprehensive review and some testing by forum guys. Meanwhile, no more mr nice guy from me, no one gets the "please, go ahead and overtake" flash on the motorway! ))
Don, my hopes lie with you!!!

(Post Link) post #464 of 821 Old 21-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaboo View Post
Same yellow ****-ish colour
I am totally with you on this. It is beyond the ability of the gas to create a whiter colour to match the HIDs so the only hope is H7 LEDs but they are not good enough yet.

We will find some soon, dont worry!
(Post Link) post #465 of 821 Old 21-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Ooops. Note to self. 40ohms @ 12v needs more than 0.25w of heat dissipation Attachment 140753

Will need a couple of replacements me thinks!

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-15 at 09:27.
(Post Link) post #466 of 821 Old 21-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Here is the finished project video.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 26-04-12 at 22:01.
AO Member

That looks awesome.. so, I think I will go ahead with the tail cluster project...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1398
Nice work jay
AO Member

Nice work Jay, just not keen on the yellow tint foglights myself

I've got my new H7 bulbs on order and will be reporting back during the week, if i can manage to swap the bulbs over if not, i'll just take out the HID's for a minute and use them in the dipped beam for reference
AO Member

I've thought I'd have a go with these:

380 LED Can Bus STOP/TAIL Bulbs Upgrade High Power 92 SMD 3528 LEDs...

I hoped that we could find a way of getting brake and tail LEDs without having to add resistors. Well they work great but when you put your foot and the brake they don't increase in brightness
They don't throw canbus errors until you put your foot on the brake.

Nice and bright though!
Tail and Stop LED

Too bright vs the original bulbs
Tail LED Stop Normal Bulb

Actual LED bulb
LED Bulb

I may try one as a fog light until I decide how to do the brakes. The bulbs are a nice quality never the less!

Last edited by outofspace; 27-04-12 at 20:27.
(Post Link) post #471 of 821 Old 27-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Great feedback space. We need to create a list of good and bad options from all this research!!!!!

The fogs are a different type of bulb mate so if I was you I would push the seller for a refund as they throw canbus errors.
(Post Link) post #472 of 821 Old 29-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I have written up a proper guide to the interior light upgrade on my blog and will write up the exterior light guide later.

Here is the interior guide.

I am going to changing the first post to have a link to the interior guide and a link to the exterior guide out of courtesy, but primarily I am going to change it to a capture of "what works" and "what doesn't" to capture all of the R&D from this thread.

This may take a while!!
(Post Link) post #473 of 821 Old 29-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Thats the exterior guide written now too:

Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Thats the exterior guide written now too:

Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion
Just finished reading your write up!! Great effort to get all the details in..

Only the rear cluster is pending for me. So, quick question, compared to the standard illumination offered by the standard bulbs, is the LED effect absolutely noticeable, both during daytime & nighttime?

Basically, I'm looking at a cost of around 130 for the Rear cluster + Indicators, so, just wanted to know your thoughts on the end result ... compared to standard ..
(Post Link) post #475 of 821 Old 29-04-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Its a completely valid challenge mate

Essentially, the most noticeable difference is the indicators with the instant on & off, other than that the rest just have a much deeper colour than the original bulbs. I guess the stop lights also are more noticeable due to the instant on & off, but then you need to match that with the high level brake light so at the very least your looking at 10 x 5mm LEDs and a couple of resistors, or the Cylon

If someone had said to me its gonna cost you the best part of 200 to do the exterior lights (forget about all the other bulbs I have bought that turned out to be crap) I would have probably said I would stick with the filament ones, but then again, I do like the end result, so maybe I would have done it anyway..... I am in two minds :P

I certainly don't regret it, and I really like the end result, but was it worth 200? that's a personal dilemma you need to resolve in your own mind...

Enjoy, and I look forward to seeing where you end up

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds