LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 14 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Well, I've read and re-read the whole thread and I still have absolutely no idea whats going on! Resistors soldered to the what? Who? When? How? Why?
Looks good though.

And the ad, well, was great when Alfa designed cars with proper front ends.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #327 of 821 Old 08-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post
Well, I've read and re-read the whole thread and I still have absolutely no idea whats going on! Resistors soldered to the what? Who? When? How? Why?
Looks good though
hahaha, the thread is very much an research and development place now, with all salient points captured back to the first post, so anything worth doing, and easy to do, or at least with a set of instructions is there for mass consumption.

Anything else from the thread comes with a standard disclaimer....

That said, I am contemplating making and selling some resistor kits for our cars that "plug and play" direct into the vehicle with no hassle or electrical knowledge making the installation of ANY type of LED bulb hassle free, and if anyone wants a cylon brake light once I get it finalised, I could be convinced to make one for you for a small fee!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Something new just arrived and it nearly cost me a full "bumpers off" episode!

New Side Lights T10 / W5W type, none canbus, with High Powered LED's, cheap @ £3.69 for the pair, (took ages to arrive) but seemingly promising given the power rating and design:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906229965...#ht_2802wt_979

Bench Tested...
  1. They are bright!!! very bright!
  2. They have a 0.06mA load
  3. You need to add a 150 Ohm resistor to make them canbus friendly
  4. Same approach as the 24 LED Sides, just press it in the holder or solder in place. Only a few pence each from Maplin
  5. Colour temp is bang on at 6K - Perfect HID match

So on to the car for a quick 5 minute swap out of the 8LED ones for these, or so I thought. These units are the same diameter as the hole and were tight going in like the 24's but unlike the 24's you cant file them down as its all metal. After 20 minutes of pushing and twisiting it was jammed tight, half way in! on the plus side they are bright as you like and even with only half of the leds in it was twice the brightness of teh 8LEDs, but they dont fit, period. so it was another 45 minutes with a pair of plyers and various expleteives before I eventually got the thing back out!

So close, but no cigar...
I have to applaud these continued efforts - so many are going to eventually benefit from all the work you're putting in!

These look excellent. Surely only a matter of time before the complete LED solution is available....
Awaiting Email Conf

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwest View Post
No matter how good they look (I like btw), I don't know how the rozzers will feel about flashing/pulsating brake lights?
Perfectly legal natwest, I was following a new insignia on monday and its brake lights flashed away at me when he obviously didnt see the roundabout ahead. 'Adaptive Brake Light' according to the owners manual Insignia. Our 159's employ a similar (no doubt cheaper) alternative by flashing the hazards.

I'm thinking something like this would complement Jay's 3rd brake light? pulsing light

Or this 'Blinking Smart Stop Plus' even shown on a UK 156 (bottom of page)!
flashing lights
(Post Link) post #330 of 821 Old 09-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungers View Post
I'm thinking something like this would complement Jay's 3rd brake light? pulsing light
Thanks for the info Bungers, I was actually thinking that I needed to extend the wiring from the new circuit that runs the 3rd light back to the new LED stops to make them synchronised but I think I want to keep it simple and just have the High level brake light do the funky stuff.

All my new LED's Shift Registers and other ancillary components turned up today so I will crack on and finish it next week probably. I would do it this weekend, but its the one time of year when the misses spoils me for the weekend, and this year we are off to sunny Barcelona (irony intended... its -12 at the minute!! lol)

So by the end of next week the high level brake light should be in final config and ready for fitting.
Awaiting Email Conf

No worries Jay, I'm watching this thread as its something I'd like to do but don't have the technical expertise in the field.

Enjoy España!
(Post Link) post #332 of 821 Old 09-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Once I make the unit and am happy with it, I will come up with a cost for them and if anyone is interested then I will make some. The hard part was designing it, manufacturing them is easy.
Awaiting Email Conf

I'd be interested in one for sure, perhaps on a part exchange basis so people don't have a spare third brake light hanging around?

EDIT - Just read your OBD wifi install on your blog, good read! This will be going in as part of my 159 'carputer' that I've been working on recently. Its always got to be handy to be able to read & clear fault codes quickly when owning an Alfa?!

Last edited by bungers; 09-02-12 at 18:56.
(Post Link) post #334 of 821 Old 09-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
as its a simple mod to an existing unit I was thinking that we would handle it like this for anyone who wanted one:

1) place an order / payment via paypal
2) I make up the circuit and let you know when we are ready to go
3) you post me your brake light, I fit it, test it and post it back (3 days max on next day postage)

removing the brake light from the car is simple, juts prize it up with a screwdriver or bojo bar and it pops right off, then unclip the power cable, job done.

The 3 days without a brake light inst as bad as you think. Mine has been on my bench for over a week now!! no hassle and no incidents as the rest of the brake lights work fine! Also, it doesn't have a can-bus check so the car doesn't even know its missing!! I was sat behind a 3 series with a busted high level brake light all the way back from Cambridge on the A1 today and didn't even notice for the first 20 mins!

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 09-02-12 at 19:41.
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

159 2.0 SW Ti

Side lights ordered as per Option 1, and rear number plate bulbs ordered as per suggestion as well. looking forward to getting these in, thanks for the links and all the info Jay.

if these all go well i'll attempt the fog light change that you demonstrated too, followed by the puddles.

last time i changed the rear number plate bulbs on my last 159 i managed to balls up one of the metal clips that holds the plastic bulb holders in place in the bumper. does anyone have any good tips to get them out safely without mucking them up so that they will simply pop back in right after??

cheers all,

Phil.
(Post Link) post #336 of 821 Old 20-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanglebadger View Post
Side lights ordered as per Option 1, and rear number plate bulbs ordered as per suggestion as well. looking forward to getting these in, thanks for the links and all the info Jay.

if these all go well i'll attempt the fog light change that you demonstrated too, followed by the puddles.

last time i changed the rear number plate bulbs on my last 159 i managed to balls up one of the metal clips that holds the plastic bulb holders in place in the bumper. does anyone have any good tips to get them out safely without mucking them up so that they will simply pop back in right after??

cheers all,

Phil.
"Bojo Bars" grab a set of ebay - enjoy!
(Post Link) post #337 of 821 Old 20-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
So the brake light is finally back in the car, and I tested it on a long drive to Cheltenham and back. I like it, but my major issue is the way I have it working it takes around 300ms to illuminate, and since I have LEDs in teh Stop/Tail, they come on first, so it looks delayed slightly. In fairness I followed a Landrover Disco2 that did the same, but then I expect that from a Landy

I need to rethink the circuit slightly as the delay is because it has to start from cold every time you press the brake. If I put ignition power to it, and trigger it based on an interrupt, it should be instant. So Mk4 of the unit will soon follow for those interested, here is what the final product looked like!!
Attachment 135642

Attachment 135643

Attachment 135644

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-15 at 09:26.
rjc_147

Hi Jay,

I think your delay is caused by the 2 things.

1. The Voltage Regulator startup time (charging the capacitors)
2. The Microcontroller Reset/Startup delay

(Post Link) post #339 of 821 Old 20-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Agreed on both counts.

The majority of time is the voltage regulator and capacitors as they fill up vs the amount of code & processor capacity which is a negligible amount of delay, so my current plan is to power the circuit with the ignition switch so its on and ready and then use the brake feed as a switch input to trigger an interrupt routine and run the program. I will bench test it and prove it, then modify the current circuit and reprogram the microprocessor

A new version will no doubt follow soon! for now it works "good enough"
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
impressive project Jay and headlight project is looking good too, your getting right into this modding lark, hope I havn't been a bad influence!
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 SW Ti

thanks for the tip on the bojo bars Jay, i'll look into those this evening!

Phil.
AO Member

County: Limburg

Member car:

159 2.4 SW Q4

Front Sidelight replacement option 1:

Be aware that after some time you can get CanBus errors, in my case 2-3 Months after.
Why because the little white flat resistors had come lose!

I had to re-solder them back on, one had fallen completely off so I added a 330 Ohm resistor anyway to make sure I got no more CanBus errors.
So if you but the option1 LEDs check them out before you put them in your sidelights. OK
"Photo attached showing the little white resistors."
good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 21 10.21.jpg (41.5 KB, 15 views)
(Post Link) post #343 of 821 Old 21-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post
impressive project Jay and headlight project is looking good too, your getting right into this modding lark, hope I havn't been a bad influence!
haha, cheers JB, I am tempted to do more on the mechanical side yet, so you clearly are a bad influence, but next up for me would be brakes, when I need a new set of pads (valid excuse to replace everything I think)!

Not sure I will go for the supersize upgrade you just did, but maybe what you had before that!
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 SW Ti

thanks for the heads up Jay! i'll check for that as soon as they arrive.

shall report back upon fitting!

Phil.
AO Member

County: Glasgow
LED Sidelight error

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
In terms of the sides, I just installed these off ebay and they work perfectly:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

No error messages and the split of forward facing and side facing SMD's ensures that you get a good distribution of light around the reflectors (given LED's are directional in nature this is a significant consideration)

For the numberplate lights I went for these, as A) I didn't want to blind people following me, and B) there are no reflectors in the holder so you need the LED's to physically point the right way, which 2 do in this configuration!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I am still looking for an answer to the h7 main beams, so watch this thread and hopefully someone will point us both in the right direction!!

I installed these last week along with ring 120% dip beams. The dip beams are excellent, but i'm getting an error with the LED sidelights every time i start the car. I thought these ones were error free - so have i done something wrong?
(Post Link) post #346 of 821 Old 22-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
It seems that the quality of the units has dwindled lately, send them back to your ebay supplier and say they are faulty.
AO Member

Cheers JabawokJay.

Glad to hear it's not just mine then! Thought i was being a moron and doing something wrong.

Any recommendations for an alternative supplier? I'd love to keep LED sidelights, although these ones are admittedly a little on the blue side.
(Post Link) post #348 of 821 Old 22-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
They are all 5000K or bluer, especially against the stock halogens. The 8 Led Sides are the whitest we have seen so the best bet. If you wanted you could swap your ring 120%'s for some Philips Diamond Vision which are 5000K so would colour match and give great vision. Then use the ring 120% you just put in the dips as mains.

Or go the whole hog and put a set of HIDs in the dips for maximum vision!!
AO Member

Thanks for the info JabawokJay.

The HIDs are tempting, but i'm too worried about the 'legal' issues of them to do it.

Will look into the Diamond visions as well.
(Post Link) post #350 of 821 Old 26-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
For those interested, the cylon brake light continues to evolve and move towards a simple direct swap unit for the light bar. It will take a while to sort but may be an interesting upgrade for those interested.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds