LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

I bought these license plate LED light units the other day.

Link

When they arrive I'll let you know what they're like.

James
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

159 2.0 SW Ti

^^^be interested to hear what you think, interesting link that, got me thinking now lol.

lookin forward to your review.

Phil.
(Post Link) post #279 of 821 Old 25-01-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Yesterday one of my brake lights started to show blown bulb errors, so I had a dig around and found these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007045671...84.m1439.l2649 - I ordered 2 sets as well as a set of white ones just in case watch this space.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

as per my post, changed my sidelights months ago.

im now getting a canbus error on the computer...... but nothing wrong with the lights, both working fine.....
can i use fiatscan to delet the message or is it there forever/
(Post Link) post #281 of 821 Old 26-01-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Just drop a resister accross the terminals to fix the error mate. as per the fix for the 24 LED ones. which ones you using again? 8, 13 or 24's ?
rjc_147

I know it's not an Alfa but this shows what can be done with 5mm high brightness LEDs and a bit of electronic circuitry

High Vis "Emergency style" LED Car indicator/turn signals - YouTube

(Post Link) post #283 of 821 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I am planning on incorporating strobe features like this on a separate LED based lighting project for the alfa, but like the comments on that video, so illegal in the UK its not worth your license for on road use.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by perksy View Post
I bought these license plate LED light units the other day.

Link

When they arrive I'll let you know what they're like.

James
Ok, they're here and fitted.

They're very bright, although I had to file the holes where the lights fit into the bumper to get them to fit and they still don't sit quite right. The white LEDs can also be seen directly by cars behind (not just light reflecting off the plate). I may have to put some kind of tiny shade on them.

Do I like them - yes, lovely and bright.

Would I recommend - no, tricky to fit and can be seen directly by following cars.

James
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

159 2.0 SW Ti

^^^^thanks for the feedback James, thats a bit of a shame that they're not a like for like swap.

Cheers,

Phil.
AO Member

County: Fife
I put some LEDs in the sidelights in my MG ZT-t but they weren't canbus friendly, and started flickering and all sorts, so I swapped them for canbus friendly ones and they're excellent! Steady ultra white light and no error messages. I'll look for the eBay seller and post it, he was really good, excellent delivery time too.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=56.201711,-3.132690
(Post Link) post #287 of 821 Old 01-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Yesterday one of my brake lights started to show blown bulb errors, so I had a dig around and found these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007045671...84.m1439.l2649 - I ordered 2 sets as well as a set of white ones just in case watch this space.
LEDs arrived today and have been fitted. They are perfect but generate canbus errors so I am going to have to add a resistor load to them. They are however, perfect brightness and operate very well. I will post some images/video in the next couple of days as well as howto's on the resistors and where to get them cheap. all in all this will be quite a cheap / viable upgrade for stop/tail.

indicators next..... (but that is already looking the most expensive to do well)
rjc_147

Quote:
LEDs arrived today and have been fitted. They are perfect but generate canbus errors so I am going to have to add a resistor load to them. They are however, perfect brightness and operate very well. I will post some images/video in the next couple of days as well as howto's on the resistors and where to get them cheap. all in all this will be quite a cheap / viable upgrade for stop/tail.

indicators next..... (but that is already looking the most expensive to do well)
Can you also measure how much current they draw when on and in stop condition

Thanks

(Post Link) post #289 of 821 Old 01-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
0.03 Amps (0.36w @ 12v) on Tail, 0.20 Amps (2.4w @ 12v) on Stop

I plan on using 50w 10 Ohm Wirewound resistors (6 in total for both stop/tails) which are about 15w of actual load @ 12v each, although most cars run closer to 14 volts so could see load of up to 20w depending on the actual current supplied (never actually checked the alfa!). The original filament type 1157 (380) units are rated @ 21w so hopefully this will be enough load to cancel the canbus errors. I have also gone with the 50w metal type resistors to allow for better heat dissipation, and have also bought some 3m thermal sticky pads to allow me to stick them to the inside bodywork close by for even better heat dissipation through the shell of the vehicle. All being well it will work and I will put a how-to up with links to components etc. the bulbs were quite reasonably priced at @ 27 for 4 and the resistors from CPC are only 1.50 (ish each) so not a huge investment for stop/tail.

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow subject to CPC shipping my order of resistors next day. I left the bulbs in the car anyway to grab some night shots later.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-12 at 17:02.
rjc_147

The stop/tail lights you have are rated at 13W, so I would have thought more current to be drawn than what you have measured. I would expect the tail to be taking at least 350mA but you have measured 30mA.

I would be interested in a picture of the bulb and or any of the componets just to see if I can identify the LED's used and they way they are wired up.

(Post Link) post #291 of 821 Old 01-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I cant guarantee my measurement as have never used this multi-meter to test load before and the guides I found were not that helpful!, although did it in series, and measured using the 20amp socket as it wouldn't register the stop light on the 200ma socket (see pic of multimeter for settings). I have completed a heat test on them and running on the bench at full power for 3 hrs they barely generated enough heat to warm my finger tips so they cant be drawing that much power as the high power leds are usually prone to much higher levels of heat generation.

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-15 at 09:26.
rjc_147

Yep.. you have the meter setup correctly.
These LEDs must be very efficient if they don't get warm and produce a high intensity beam

(Post Link) post #293 of 821 Old 01-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc_147 View Post
Yep.. you have the meter setup correctly.
These LEDs must be very efficient if they don't get warm and produce a high intensity beam
Will see what adding the resistors does to the situation tomorrow as I have one of the spare ones I bought set up on my bench for easy testing

Last edited by JabawokJayUK; 01-02-15 at 09:26.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

2001 166 TS 2.0

Hi

I've just installed a pair of the LED's below into the reverse lights of the 166 and I'm quite happy with them. No canbus error and a strong slightly blueish white light that seems brighter than the standard P21W filament bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-382-C...item1c22efc9df

I've tried them in the rear fogs, and they trip the canbus when switched on, but not when they're off.

V.
(Post Link) post #295 of 821 Old 01-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Great feedback V, I have been eyeing some amber ones of these up as replacements for the indicators so its good to hear they are bright. How do you find them in filling the reflectors? are the smd's on the sides any good ?
AO Member

Member car:

2001 166 TS 2.0

Quote:
How do you find them in filling the reflectors? are the smd's on the sides any good ?
While the standard filament bulb produces an even yellowish look to the lens, the effect is different with this LED. The forward firing Cree Q5 results in a visiable central glow in the lens and the side firing 5050's fill in behind it, but in a way that's slightly less bright. The light looks much 'colder' than the standard filament bulb. Overall, I think it's a nice effect and there appears to be plenty of light out the back when reversing.

I'm considering a set of reds for the rear fogs and if I can find them, a 1157 (dual filament) version in red for the tail/brake lights. I might even go with an amber version of the LED for the front indicators. The 166 has an R5W in the tail light on the boot, so I'm looking at a slightly differnt LED option for that.

The only 'funny' I've noticed is that they seem to be producing some radio interference when on, but that's only noticable when I've been in an underground car park where the signal is very weak and not at any other time.

V.
(Post Link) post #297 of 821 Old 02-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
The 50w 10Ohm resistors fixed the canbus errors perfect (added about an amp of load) (Variator) you may want to do this to solve your can bus errors too.

I have pulled together a video of the end to end stop/tail install so will upload to youtube later and paste a link in here.
(Post Link) post #298 of 821 Old 03-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
\here is the video how to for the new stop/tail LEDs. Let me know your thoughts on viability. I know I have strayed away from canbus and gone the load resistor route but it opened up more options for me so I am going this route for the indicators as well now.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
AO Member

Member car:

2001 166 TS 2.0

Good video JJ

I may add the resistors as you suggest. In the 166, the bulbs for the 3 lights on the boot lid (Reverse, fog & tail), are housed on a single rail/mount that clips into the lens. That rail has a single 4 spade electrical connector. To add the reisitors I'll just identify which 'spade' is which and then build a small loom extension/plugin that sits between the existing connectors rather than scotch blocking (i.e. unplug the existing plug from the back of the rail, pug it into the new extension and plug the other end of the extension into the rail).

V.
(Post Link) post #300 of 821 Old 03-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Thats a good idea V, The 159 is the same. I hadn't considered that last night when I got round to fitting them but could do the same, and will probably modify it when I come to doing the indicators with the bulbs you are using as I will need to add more resistors. I have identified some in amber that are the right fitment but want to go and remove the side repeaters first to see what kind of bulb they uset as I will want to put LED's in those as well, which may be a little more DIY that a direct replacement!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds