LEDs Advice for the 159 - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

(Post Link) post #226 of 821 Old 24-11-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Abyss View Post
Yep - well aware of that. However the alternative is even less skin than I now have remaining on my hands...!
I have, through my efforts, come up with an innovative way of solving the skin removal issue while changing lights and it works really well. I now wear my training gloves which are padded for weight lifting and as such offer great protection from the jagged metal edges while keeping your fingers free to do the job. They work a treat!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Surrey
Good news and bad news

Good news is i've fitted my interior bulbs in the front and back interior lights, and the puddle lights in the front doors

Bad news, i have 2 of the 5 LED clusters left and 1 of the festoon clusters left. Are these supposed to go somewhere or are they meant as spares?

Also, when pulling the front interior light unit out, i managed to pull the clear plastic part away from the actual unit itself, so i may have to superglue it back on (carefully) or look for another unit

I did have an idea though, the unit in my Ti is a cream colour and makes the white of the LED's seem a little bit dull. If i can get my hands on a spare unit, i might spray the main parts black to match the roof lining, and then the little bits where the LEDs are white to give a better light output

Thoughts?
(Post Link) post #228 of 821 Old 25-11-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Good news = Great!

Bad News =
Ok, so there are 2 x 501 and 1 x 43mm festoon in the front light unit and 2 x 501 in the rear light unit. 2 x 501 in the puddles and 1 x 501 in the glove box + 1 x 43mm festoon in the boot (from memory) so 7 x 501 & 2 x 43mm festoon, so from memory, you end up with 1 x 501 spare as they come in pairs how many bulbs did you buy?

Also, re the light unit. I nearly fell fowl of the plastic coming away also, but caught it just in time. A little dab of glue in the corners should make it good as new. I like the idea of spraying the cluster, but as with any painting of plastics in a car, the final finish may end up looking bad if not done meticulously!!!

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
The front unit is black in my brera from factory so you maybe able to get hold of one of those
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Good news = Great!

Bad News =
Ok, so there are 2 x 501 and 1 x 43mm festoon in the front light unit and 2 x 501 in the rear light unit. 2 x 501 in the puddles and 1 x 501 in the glove box + 1 x 43mm festoon in the boot (from memory) so 7 x 501 & 2 x 43mm festoon, so from memory, you end up with 1 x 501 spare as they come in pairs how many bulbs did you buy?

Also, re the light unit. I nearly fell fowl of the plastic coming away also, but caught it just in time. A little dab of glue in the corners should make it good as new. I like the idea of spraying the cluster, but as with any painting of plastics in a car, the final finish may end up looking bad if not done meticulously!!!
Ah i haven't done the glovebox or the boot light. cheers for that

a friend of mine owns a bodyshop so finish would be top notch. off the through breakers yard i go in search for a spare light unit to play with

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepen View Post
The front unit is black in my brera from factory so you maybe able to get hold of one of those
Is it the same fitment as the 159?
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Q4 Ti SW

I've just completed fitting the 24 LED option into my sidelights. I have the 55W 5000K HIDs and personally I think the sidelights are a little too blue in colour and look a little 'aftermarket'. These HID's are very white in colour, not very blue, and so the off-blue LED's don't match so well (this is my personal opinion). I'm going to try the 8 LED variant and see if that's a better match.
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

159 Ti 2.2

Worked for me Bruce
(Post Link) post #233 of 821 Old 25-11-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBruce View Post
I've just completed fitting the 24 LED option into my sidelights. I have the 55W 5000K HIDs and personally I think the sidelights are a little too blue in colour and look a little 'aftermarket'. These HID's are very white in colour, not very blue, and so the off-blue LED's don't match so well (this is my personal opinion). I'm going to try the 8 LED variant and see if that's a better match.
Agreed. The 8's are whiter but still blue next to the 5k HIDs. I have a set of 6k bulbs coming for mine now as not loving the white as much as I thought I would!!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Agreed. The 8's are whiter but still blue next to the 5k HIDs. I have a set of 6k bulbs coming for mine now as not loving the white as much as I thought I would!!!
Where did you end up getting the 6000K 55W bulbs from? I need a pair!
AO Member

County: Overijssel
Interesting how busy people are over here with modifying..!

Is there a possibility to get some LEDs who looks like my xenon 4300k (35w) in the sidelights? I mean - really white instead of blue-ish like the 8-led?
(Post Link) post #236 of 821 Old 28-11-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaes View Post
Interesting how busy people are over here with modifying..!

Is there a possibility to get some LEDs who looks like my xenon 4300k (35w) in the sidelights? I mean - really white instead of blue-ish like the 8-led?
The only options we have seen that are Can Bus ones all seem to bee 5K+. Older style, none-can-bus LEDs would more likely be closer to 4.5K but you would need to add a resistor to simulate load. If we find some, whiter than white, can bus LEDs, we will definitely add them to the list of recommendations though, as a lot of people want them.
(Post Link) post #237 of 821 Old 01-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Had a chat with the ebay supplier of the 24 LED options..... essentially, the 8's are likely as white as we can get (considered "warm white") and the 13/24 ones are the more common colour (considered "cool white" due to the blue tinge). If matching a 4.3K, 4.5K or 5K HID, you might want to opt for the traditional w5w bulbs you can get that are covered in a blue film, as they are closest to this colour range.
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Howdy all.
Replaced my rear indicator bulbs with error free can bus LED's but I am getting the the fast blinking indicator on the dash-board, the one you get when an indicator bulb goes...will I still get this with error free bulbs too?

Regards
Peter
(Post Link) post #239 of 821 Old 04-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish147 View Post
Howdy all.
Replaced my rear indicator bulbs with error free can bus LED's but I am getting the the fast blinking indicator on the dash-board, the one you get when an indicator bulb goes...will I still get this with error free bulbs too?

Regards
Peter
This means there isn't enough load generated by the resistors on the LEDs. You can get a different type of flasher unit to resolve this issue, or, add more resistance. Which LEDs did you buy Peter?
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Hi Jab.
I got these: 18 SMD LED 'Can-Bus' car bulb 1156 581 PY21W BAU15s
Its what the site recommended.

Peter
(Post Link) post #241 of 821 Old 06-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
The issue is that although they are technically can bus cancelling lights, they still don't draw enough load on the flasher circuit so the flashers run fast. You therefore have two options:

1) Add a load resistor on each bulb, or
2) Replace the flasher unit with one that can handle LEDs

Both can be found / bought here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

The main issue I have with the indicator replacement is that at the front end, the car uses chrome bulbs so that the light units all stay looking clean. If you put a can bus type LED unit, similar to what you bought in the front lights, it will look terrible as will be on display in all of its ugliness!! If, however, you go the load resistor route, you can make use of the additional LED light styles available from that site above, such as the ones that have clear glass lenses and chrome reflector housings built in so they will look more at home in the lights.
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Changed my sidelights back to LEDs today and managed somehow to drop the bulb into the headlight.

When I eventually stopped swearing I used some number plate sticky fixing pads stuck to the end of a screwdriver to fish the bulb out through the indicator bulb hole.

Useful bit of advice for anyone else on here stupid enough to drop the bulb in the headlight.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Yep, I've done the same! Easy to do
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Q4 Ti SW

Just a note to add that I changed my LED's to the 8 LED type and these match my 55W 5000K bulbs much better than the 24 LED type, which are now going to end up in my puddle lamps.
AO Member

County: Limburg

Member car:

159 2.4 SW Q4

I've change also my sidelights over from 5w5 to the 8 LED type. Very happy. I think they match the Xeons very well.
AO Member

County: Essex
I attempted to fit these yesterday...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2707919539...#ht_2110wt_900

However, the top fits through the hole but the LEDs lining the sides prevent them from going all the way in. Don't want to force it and end up with it falling into the housing! I sanded down the edges of the LEDs (not the actual diode) as much as I dared but still no luck - just confused as they are the same as others say have fitted.

Thanks guys.
AO Member

How do the rear numberplate bulb thingys come out? I don't want to break anything
AO Member

I just prised mine out - there's a retaining clip on one side. Fairly straightforward.
(Post Link) post #249 of 821 Old 29-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
@alexb they must have changed the sizes Alex as my set of those fit with no mods?
AO Member

County: Belfast

Member car:

Black 159 ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb911 View Post
I attempted to fit these yesterday...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2707919539...#ht_2110wt_900

However, the top fits through the hole but the LEDs lining the sides prevent them from going all the way in. Don't want to force it and end up with it falling into the housing! I sanded down the edges of the LEDs (not the actual diode) as much as I dared but still no luck - just confused as they are the same as others say have fitted.

Thanks guys.

Yeah i had to file the side diodes to get them to fit, just used a ward file on the white holding blocks. They fit a treat after that I also forced the bulb clamps together a bit with a terminal screwdriver so they had a better grip on the contacts on the new bulbs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , advice , canbus , led , leds