3.2 Excessive Oil Consumption - or not ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeen

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

3.2 Excessive Oil Consumption - or not ?

Ok guys, well those of you with the 3.2l. I'm used to the bella drinking a little oil, typically from max to min over the course of a year, but lately she's got a bit more thirsty. The car's got 50k on the clock with the first 5k as Western Alfa's demo.

She was in for an engine out to replace the oil level sensor about 9 months ago so I can't be exactly sure what was happening in the few months before, but since then she's gone through about a litre. Day to day it's not noticeable but after a v long run (500+ miles) or periods of spirited driving (damm those AONS runs ) it apears to hasten the issue.

In the middle of nowhere (well SE Essex) the first time it asked for a top up so it's been topped up with Millers XFS rather than Selenia.

There's no evidence of it leaking out, and the engine seems to be running tip-top without any noticeable noises or smoking. Has anyone else noticed this trait with the engine now it's properly run in, or does anyone think it's a bigger issue and requires some immediate further investigation ?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng
Mine does exactly the same! I was a little worried, but after speaking to three dealerships and one private mechanic, and having heard them all sing the same story about it being quite normal, I'm not tworried about it anymore. After a routine service at my local dealer he told me they used a 10w60 spec oil which would help a little. I can't say its made any difference, but I bought myself 5 litres of Castrol edge sport 10w60 and I top up about everymonth and a half to two months. I've used a little over a litre in the last 8 months.
Mine doesn't seem to use a drop at the moment, but it only has about 14.5k on the clock.
AO Member
County: Fife

Member car:

MB C Class coupe

I've put 6k miles on mine since I got it with 50k on the clock. I've never had to top it up, unlike my previous A6 2.4 which needed topped up every other month.
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
Mine uses nothing. Not a drop, even after Oulton & a France run. 25k miles.

GTleigh's used nothing either during the 60k hard driven miles he had his.

(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeen

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Ach well, I'll stick with the top ups and keep an eye. Due an MOT next month so I'll ask if there's any evidence of it burning a little oil. At £8.60 a litre I'm sticking with the Millers as well .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

consumption , excessive , oil