I am SO gutted! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Not Happy I am SO gutted!

After a lot of blood, sweat and tears to keep my Brera I think I came to the end of my patience and trust for Alfa Romeo.

Bought her in the end of 2009, had constant big or small problems, until now, that my warranty with Alfa has expired and apparently the car has received an early diagnose, which states it needs a new gearbox at 53k miles.

I have another warranty cover, but they do not cover wear and tear, and their maximum coverage is 3k. Alfa Romeo UK said that the car is too old (end of 2006) for them to do anything, implying that a gearbox that fails at 53k miles is normally acceptable.

I just can't find this acceptable, there's no reason why a gearbox should fail on such a car at such a mileage, unless the quality of the upsaid component is s**t.

The Alfa dealer where I bought it would buy it back from me and offer a new used car, but the idea of getting a Fiat Bravo 2ltr 165HP sport gives me the shivers down my spine.

I want my Alfa back, but I can't think (or afford) to pay 4k for a new gearbox, flywheel and clutch.

Another good Alfa mechanic here in MK reckons it's just the flywheel, and that the dealer is being cheeky in order to get a good deal in buying my car back.

I will see what they offer, because if the costs of getting another deal with them for the Bravo are the same of fixing the flywheel, then I'd go for that, but I'm honestly gutted on how appalling Alfa Customer Care is, the operator that took care of the case was utterly unprofessional.

Rant over guys, sorry but despite its flaws I love my car and thinking of giving it away really drives me nuts!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

If it still drives i would take it to a decent independant for a second opinion at least....
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
I'd get it independantly checked out too. There are lots of problems with the flywheels but i've never heard of any problems with the gearboxes.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

159ti - 2.4jtdm

I feel your pain. These are the kind of things we all fear happening, especially having just delved into a second tenure of alfa ownership.

Agre with Johns that it is deffo worth getting a second opinion.
AO Silver Member
County: Essex
sorry to hear this Alex, the "usual" driveline parts that go are dual mass flywheel and drive shaft UJ's, definately worth a second opinion on that gearbox. "plattsalfa" on ebay has a gearbox secondhand for 600....
Admin Team
County: Hertfordshire
Get it to Ned at autolusso, I am sure he could sort it for you at a complete fraction of the price

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider