159 Tips recommendation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-07-11 Thread Starter
County: Faro

Member car:

159 Tips recommendation

Hi All

So i want to Buy a 159, ive looked around and i can find some pretty interesting 2009 1.9jtdm 16v (150 hp) models with pretty low mileage and nice equipment.

So ive come to the Alfa savvy people to ask for some pointers.

Is there any specific year or engine i should stay away from any that have some common issues or things like that?

what do the names like sportiva and distintive bring to the game.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Ford - Boooo

i too have some questions for 159 owners as i'm going to view a 1.9 diesel 159 this weekend.

* Is there any 1.9 owner out there who has never had problems with the DPF or EGR ?

* Is the removal of DPF worth it, does it bring an increase in MPG (can the DPF be removed and EGR left in or should both be removed at same time???)

* Is the Ti spec a real bone shaker? how does it compare to an M Sport bmw in ride quality (sorry - only other firmly setup car i've driven)

If i buy the car i'll prob have it for 4 years so need to be 100% on the issues above. Been looking at Passats and A4's as i'm a complete chicken and my head is trying to over rule my heart
AO Gold Member
I have a 2.4 now, but previously had a 1.9 from new and had no faults or issues with EGR or DPF, this was an early 2006 car.

I cant comment on the efficacy of the arrangement, but the EGR can just be 'switched off' in the mapping process, it doesnt need physically removed or blanked unless its jammed open

I got a Ti after the cooking version and barely noticed any difference in ride quality, so not a boneshaker, definitely smoother than any Audi I have driven recently.

Just google for injector, dpf, egr and turbo issues with the 2.0 VAG TDI engines, you'll find for all its issues, the Jtd is probably teh most reliable Euro V engine you can buy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , recommendation , tips