Self diagnosing cause of "VPC unavailable" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Self diagnosing cause of "VPC unavailable"

My car ('06 2.4JTDm) has just started showing the warning sign that indicates steering wheel lock failure, with the message on startup and shutdown that "Vehicle Protection System is Unavailable".

From searching the forums it seems that people have found various causes for this error; battery, key fob, connections behind the key slot, faulty steering column lock etc.

Most people have suggested taking back to the dealers to sort out, but mine is out of warranty and I am absolutely skint at the moment! How much of the diagnosing could I do myself, and could anyone give me some directions or tips? I'm not much of a DIY mechanic, but I am willing to learn! Please also advise if you think having a go myself is unwise given the amount that I don't know!

Sponsored Links
AO Member

I think your best bet is to get the fiat ECU scan software. It is free to download for the basic version and all you need is a lead to fit into the OBD (something like that) port.

Do a search on here and you will find plenty of post on how to do this.

Good Luck

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 23-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Do you think that the diagnostics would show up something more specific than just "steering wheel lock failure" then?
AO Member
County: Durham
Some easy diagnostics you could do is check if you have car mats they are not riding up behind the pedals. The message could be caused by a microswitch behind the clutch pedal, or the brake light switch behind the brake pedal, they should not be to tricky to check. Can you start the car by either pressing the clutch or brake in?

Check the battery is fully charched, then maybe try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins or so, see if you still get the error message. That lot does not take to much DIY skills.

I did have the Vehicle Protection System is Unavaliable message after 2 weeks of having my car, was very worrying at the time, but was under warranty. I was able to start the car by pressing the brake in stead of the clutch which i usualy use. Dealer explenation was the battery was not charged enough

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

diagnosing , vpc unavailable