Three years in - progress report
Last month I got to the end of the three-year lease on my 159 2.4 (Dec 2007 build, 210 BHP). As I mentioned in another thread, I was toying with the idea of a 1750 but wasn't offered enough of a trade-in to make it sensible. Instead I ended up taking out a new lease on the same vehicle for two more years, at the depreciated value.
Anyway, the point of this thread is to provide a progress report on the vehicle after three years ownership and 80,000 kilometres.
- After six months, had to replace the windscreen after it was cracked by a stone. Not the Alfa's fault, but unlike the original, the replacement suffered from the dreaded windscreen creak.Treatment with silicone spray as documented elsewhere on the site fixed it. Repeated the treatment when the problem returned at increasing intervals: 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months. After about four treatments the problem went away.
- After a bit less than 18 months, had to replace a pipe in the aircon which cracked because it was being fouled by the wiper mechanism. The replacement had clearly been redesigned to avoid the problem.
- After a bit over two years, lost the plastic bleed plug in the cooling system, a problem well-documented on the forum. Replacement was metal. (If you have a 2.4, check the relevant thread and if you have the plastic plug, get it replaced!)
- At about two and a half years, original 440 amp battery failed. Replaced with 700 amp battery, battery bloke very critical of quality and rating of OEM unit.
- Shortly before the warranty ran out at 3 years, started to get some funny behaviour during DPF regens. After a forced regen didn't fix, dealer replaced mk I EGR valve with the mk II. (NB, in Australia it is illegal to make any changes to pollution control systems on a car, so DPF removal is not an option).
- At around this time also had the glow plugs replaced as the car was reporting a failure.
- Also just before the warranty expired, I checked everything and discovered that some time in the first three years the heated seats had stopped working (you can tell I don't use them much). Seat bases replaced.
All that work has been done under warranty.
Other things - got the wheels aligned early on and while the tyre wear has been noticeably faster than on other cars I've had, it hasn't been as spectacularly bad as some have reported. Will be getting the third set of replacements soon. Will be trying to find something a bit quieter than the Pzero Neros I've been using up till now.
After three years it has virtually no squeaks and rattles. Every now and then the rear view mirror housing gets a rattle but squeezing it back together seems to fix it.
That's about it really. Still very happy with the car; obviously so as I was prepared to extend the lease by two years.
Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTD in Pinot Grigio
Last edited by Stewart1; 22-07-11 at 12:17.