Thinking of returning to the Alfa world - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-07-11 Thread Starter
County: Kent

Member car:

VW Passat

Thinking of returning to the Alfa world

After a few years away from the world of Alfa Romeo, I have started looking at a 159 estate, with an autobox, 1.9 diesel, Sorry if i dont use correct terminology.

Basically it is at 74k miles on a 07 plate, I have read on here that Alfa recommend a new cam belt at 90k but users recommend 70k I am assuming it hasn't been changed.

Also from reading the main thing i need to look out for is service history but what are the common failures to poke when i view the car.

Also how does the auto box hold up as i have never owned a car with an auto box before so i have no idea what to look for here.

so i want to ask
1) how much extra do i need to budget for the service?
2) common failures?
3) Auto box issues?

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

How you doing Greg

I was in a similar position 10 months ago. Was sick of my british-made-car constantly being in the garage fault after fault. Decided to risk it, splash out on something that looked beautiful. A 159.

I'll be honest, I knew very little about Alfas, apart from I love the look of them. I know very little about cars in general though, and mechanics, so I have to put my trust in garages and nice people on here who help out!

I bought my 57 plate 1.9 with 84k on the clock. The following week had it booked in at my local indie and had the Cam belt/water pump and a general health check.

Since then, all has been good. Had an issue with a wheel bearing which I had to have replaced, and 6 months later failed under warrenty, but i suspect that was a dud part. Or a combination of shockingly poor roads here in the Black Country.

No other complaints really!

Its a lovely drive, pleasure on the eye, and I'm proud to drive it!
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfaworkshop in Bedfordshire are doing a 50 off Cambelt inc water pump for July. These guys are probably the best independents in your area. Expect to pay about 350 before discount for this. Have a look at their website it has full menu pricing.

Common issues are the DPF getting clogged if you do a lot of stop start driving. My SW 1.9d is on 72k and never missed a beat- though I think I now need the rear suspension needs to be looked at- but with the state of our roads this doesn't really surprise me.

Buy and enjoy but don't expect the MPG to be great- other marques easily beat the 159 in these stakes.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I took my 159 1.9jtdm up to 88K miles with few issues to be fair. I had the cam belt and water pump changed at 72K to be on the safe side.

It was a great car, enjoyed the 22 months together.

I have read that the auto box and the egr can cause a few issues, but switch it to sport and rag it once a fortnight and you will soon clear the build up of soot!

Hope its a good one for you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alfa , returning , thinking , world