OK. Ordered a new 159 back in March for delivery end of June 2011.
Signed the paperwork and put down the deposit... no problems there.
But, after a little chasing, I found out that the car was now not going to be delivered in June due a a build problem on the production line. So, my order was void and I could have just taken back my deposit.
But, I still wanted the car, so the dealer asked me to just email him if I wanted to re-order the car for delivery in September instead - next reg around.
Seeing as I wasn't "desperate" for the car, I thought why not - so I emailed and confirmed that they might as well re-order it.
Now they appear to have totally given up on me here. I have emailed several times (which usually gets a prompt response) and got nothing back. I will call them tomorrow.
All I want is a confirmed delivery date. In fact, I want it confirmed for the first week in Sept at the latest. It been FOREVER since I ordered this car.
But, it has occured to me that I have nothing in writing, nothing anywhere that actually confirms that the car is re-ordered. So I emailed and said re-order (I know an email is legally binding), but without anything from them to confirm the new order, surely I can just go down and get my deposit back. Gotta be honest... I'm tired of waiting.
Any thoughts on where I stand?
Oh... box of wheel nuts under the spare wheel... thats what the rattle was!!!