Warning Lights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 03-07-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Warning Lights

I am currently driving a 159 Lusso 2.2 JTS, I am having a couple of electrical problems...
First, occasionally when I put the key in and then push to start (with my foot on the clutch or brake) the ignition will simply turn on and off rather than turning the engine over.
Second, often when I start I will get a warning saying my oil is low and on the display will show the oil as empty, but when checking the oil with the dipstick it is right up on max, my car is parked on a flat drive; will using a different/thinner oil help this problem.
Third, sometimes on start up I get warnings saying abs could not be started, the hill holder could not be started and something else beginning with V could not be started(can't remember exactly what but it is on the same button as the traction control). This is sometimes followed by a message saying 'Check Engine', although check engine has only displayed once.

P.s This morning the car wouldn't start with one of the keys, on one of the attempts the car displayed a picture of an orange lock on a car. I tried the other key and it tried to turn over first time but failed as if the battery was low, I waited about 30 seconds before trying again, the engine then started but while turning over it sounded as if there was only just enough charge in the battery to start it. I then stopped the engine and tested each key twice and it started with no problems with both of the keys.

Last edited by benj0803; 03-07-11 at 12:33. Reason: Developments
Sponsored Links
Welcome to AO!

All sounds like a battery check should be your first port of call.

Unfortunately with the high loads on the battery, even if the car is sat idle,
the batteries have a tendency to day after 2-3 years unless you keep
an eye on them and check the levels.

They are also relatively expensive for the 2.2, 3.2 and 2.4.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

check engine , electricals , lights , oil , starter , warning , warning or unavailable